ForumsThe TavernHarsh Vocals (growls, screams, etc.)

50 15180
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Backstory
While doing one of my many lovable activities, lurking, I came across an interesting conversation between Sal and Mino, in which they were talking about Mino's usage of "harsh vocals" (my words, not theirs). Being another that also practices the technique, I struck up a conversation of my own with Mino, regarding the subject. After a conversing with him for a bit, I decided to create this thread..which I've been meaning to do for some time.

What are "harsh vocals"?
Now, I couldn't find a legitimate definitions on the term (or, maybe I'm just too lazy too), but what it consists of is the usage of growls, screams, etc. while "singing" (per se).

Why use "harsh vocals"?
Many reasons, actually. It really depends on the person. Some like it because of its ability to display emotions of anguish, pain, hatred, suffering, vengeance, etc; some like the sound of it; some can't sing, but can perform them; etc.

Why isn't this in the Popular Media section?
Because this isn't popular media. In fact, this has nothing to do with media. The idea of the thread is to discuss the act of "harsh vocals"..if one would like to mention a band/singer or like to a band/singer, they may do so, but the purpose in doing so shouldn't be just to talk about them, but to talk about their usage of the art, their technique, etc.

Purpose of this thread??
Oh..yeah. Forgot that...this. Has. To. Be. A. Thing.
Anyways, there are many purposes of this thread, so I'll list 'em in my favorite way possible! In an incoherent run-on sentence! (notreallyI'llactuallyjustmakealist)
1) To provide users that practice the art of Harsh Vocals a place to discuss the subject.
1-a) Their techniques and sound
1-b) The effect they are going for with their style
1-c) Ways to improve on their techniques
1-d) Bands/singers that implore the technique, and what they like and/or do not like about their usage/technique
1-e) etc.
2) To provide users that don't practice the art, but are interested in learning about the art, a place to gain knowledge.
2-a) Also a place to learn how to do it themselves
3) For all users to discuss the art, in general.
3-a) Self-explanatory.
4) To receive feedback on their style/technique
4-a) Describe your technique.
4-a-1) What sounds can you produce?
4-a-2) How do your achieve the sounds you produce?
4-b) Provide a video (link) to you performing "harsh vocals"
4-a-1) Make sure you can prove it is you.
4-a-1-a) Post something in the description that proves it is you.
4-a-1-b) Say something within the video that proves it is you.
4-a-1-c) The "somethings" will be provided upon request (either by myself or Mino).

What do we do now?
...post! Begin discussing, gain insight on the technique, whatever your heart's (appropriate) desire!
But remember to always (**cliche incoming**) rock on \\m//

• 50 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Metal is the evolved form of rock, it isn't rock and it has it's own style. Evolution is what separates man from monkey's, it's what separates lizards lizards from dinosaurs, and it most assuredly separates metal from rock. The metal you hear in the 21st century is not what rock was back in the 20th century. Metal in the 20th century wasn't even what rock was in the 20th century, and it isn't now. Evolution. Human beings have Hispanics, Africans, and Europeans. Monkey's have apes, gorilla's, and chimps. Rock has punk and alternative, metal has thrash and industrial.

..... Read my post!

No....metal has its roots in rock, especially classic 70s metal, which has very clear roots in blues rock and psychedelic rock. It just sort of branched out in such a vibrant way that it looks like a separate genre now.

Did I say they're the same thing? No!

There's alternative metal btw, which has influences from alternative rock. Thrash metal also has a lot of influence from punk, and many early thrash bands paid tribute to the punk scene, Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, Pantera have all recorded covers and admitted their admiration of punk bands.

Point is, music is all related. And also, read others' post better.
GandalftheGrey666
GandalftheGrey666
1,859 posts
Peasant

Mino, idiot, look at the threads name. The shu guy placed screams in the name of the thread. So, screaming is a harsh vocal.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

It's just a matter of semantics. If Pang wants to discuss vocals including screams, but if people contend that they're not harsh vocals, just change the title and get over with the spat.

GandalftheGrey666
GandalftheGrey666
1,859 posts
Peasant

Pang

*pang
ironblade41
ironblade41
514 posts
Shepherd

Harsh vocals really aren't good for your voice. They can be okay in moderation, I guess. I don't think they should be used in every song someone sings at all.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

It's just a matter of semantics. If Pang wants to discuss vocals including screams, but if people contend that they're not harsh vocals, just change the title and get over with the spat.

I think the type of screams I'm thinking of is different than what others think of

More screams from Different Sense by Dir en Grey
Less Blood on the Dance Floor

More screams from Arguing With Thermometers by Enter Shikari
Less Bring me the Horizon

More screams from P.L.U.C.K. and B.Y.O.B. by System of a Down
Less Attack! Attack!

Harsh vocals really aren't good for your voice. They can be okay in moderation, I guess. I don't think they should be used in every song someone sings at all.

When used improperly and carelessly..then they can be bad for your voice. But if done properly and carefully, then it's about as dangerous as normal singing is for your voice
ironblade41
ironblade41
514 posts
Shepherd

When used improperly and carelessly..then they can be bad for your voice. But if done properly and carefully, then it's about as dangerous as normal singing is for your voice

People who use harsh vocals usually aren't very careful. I'm a singer and I'm not taking chances.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

People who use harsh vocals usually aren't very careful. I'm a singer and I'm not taking chances.

People you know that use them aren't careful. As for myself and Mino, we know what we are doing and what to do to protect our voices (more so Mino, to be honest. Maybe story later).

And as for bands that use them..yes, they are very careful. That's why so many are able to continue to use the type of vocals they do.
Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

Harsh Vocals are like everything else in life, know what you are doing or you will have serious consequences. My parents were both singers so I know what I am talking about. They weren't screamers but the gist of music is the same, if you know how to do it properly there is no risk. When you scream, just concentrate on the scream and know which note to hit and how to hit it and you're voice will suffer no damage.

And as for bands that use them..yes, they are very careful. That's why so many are able to continue to use the type of vocals they do.

It's true, they are quiet careful even when they mess up. Singers like Oliver Sykes and Danny Worsnop suffered vocal cord damage and they haven't lost there voices. They just change and adapt if the technique is wrong. It's just when you ignore the signs (such as coughing up blood, very dry throat, pain while speaking) is when you get messed up.

Point is, music is all related. And also, read others' post better.

Note taken.

Mino, idiot, look at the threads name. The shu guy placed screams in the name of the thread. So, screaming is a harsh vocal.

My point was that screaming was around longer then harsh vocals, and the harsh vocal screaming technique is different then it was before. So screaming is both a harsh vocal but gets its origin from somewhere else.

As for myself and Mino, we know what we are doing and what to do to protect our voices (more so Mino, to be honest. Maybe story later).

Ooh, I get to tell stories now!

Well harsh vocals use the upper part of the vocal cords known as the "False Cords" or "False Vocal Cords" which are only used when someone clears there throat of Flem and such. So because of its lack of use, the body doesn't know how to use it as well as other functions the body performs on a daily basis.

How I learned the technique was half innate and from what information I could collect. My technique consists of expanding the vocal cords themselves, tightening the false cords, and expanding the back tonsils. In my case it reduces the air flow slightly and increase the sound of the growl or scream. My technique however has a flaw; due to the expanding of the back tonsils I can't breathe normally, meaning when I engage in a growl / scream I have to more or less "disable" the technique, and to switch back to the technique I have to inhale a lot of air, tighten the false cords, and sing out the words with a 1 - 1.5 second delay. The technique I have provides no pain when I growl / scream yet it could be a serious issue when perform in a concert or something like that.

What annoys me sometimes is when singers don't discuss their techniques, its somewhat of a secret and interviewers don't really talk about it either. This needs to be remedied.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

What annoys me sometimes is when singers don't discuss their techniques, its somewhat of a secret and interviewers don't really talk about it either. This needs to be remedied.

I'll have my technique up later tonight when I get back from work.

Though, for me..I'm not as able with explaining my technique as Mino is..as I am not into all the jargon and what-not XD
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Just did a little crap-quality video of myself doing an "inverse growl". I'll maybe post it later tonight. I'm sure Mino would like to see it a little bit =p haha

Then again..not sure if I will or not.

ironblade41
ironblade41
514 posts
Shepherd

My point is, harsh vocals don't even sound good. They just hurt my ears.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

My point is, harsh vocals don't even sound good. They just hurt my ears.

"My point is.."
See, but, what you just now said has nothing to do with what you were saying earlier.

And it doesn't sound good to you..but to many of us it is a very enjoyable sound
GandalftheGrey666
GandalftheGrey666
1,859 posts
Peasant

"My point is.."

Finish the sentence, pang.
Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

And it doesn't sound good to you..but to many of us it is a very enjoyable sound

For me, it is like an urge. On a daily basis I catch myself doing harsh vocals for no reason. It's a lot of fun for metalheads like pang and me.

Just did a little crap-quality video of myself doing an "inverse growl". I'll maybe post it later tonight. I'm sure Mino would like to see it a little bit =p haha

Do it! Tweet me, message me, I don't care man I want it here and I want it naw! lol
Showing 16-30 of 50