ForumsThe TavernPhobias

28 6507
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

I was talking to Storm about her phobia with horses and was very interested in her phobia, that I decided to make a thread about phobias

What's your phobia? How did you get it?

Those are the questions.

My phobia is heights. When I was in probably 4h grade, I was in a camp called K.O.D.A Camp, there was this 30 ft high tower that we were supposed to climb. I went up and I got about halfway when I decided to look down, my eyes were wide, I told the guy pulling on the rope to let me down. When I got to the bottom my body was shaking.

So that's the reason for my phobia of heights.

• 28 Replies
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

I went up and I got about halfway when I decided to look down, my eyes were wide, I told the guy pulling on the rope to let me down. When I got to the bottom my body was shaking.

That doesn't sound like a phobia to me. Most people get shaky the first few times they climb something tall (Source: Myself, and watching/teaching 50+ people how to rock climb/rappel/belay). Your story sounds to me like you just got a little scared and asked to be let down because you didn't trust yourself/the person belaying you entirely.

A phobia is an uncontrollable, irrational fear which is debilitating. Acrophobia would be you utterly freaking out and refusing to go more than a few feet from the ground. It would be you avoiding any place where you gained a sense of being high up.

Ever gone on a roller coaster? A tall water slide? An airplane? A 5+ story building? What were your reactions to those?
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Ever gone on a roller coaster? A tall water slide? An airplane? A 5+ story building? What were your reactions to those?

Looked at the bottom of the cart, looked at the slide on the way down, there were clouds blocking my view, and didn't bother looking out a window.

Heights can be easily avoided in my case. I'm on the ground so much now, I forget I have it.

Although, I guess naming the thread phobias must be a bigger word than I actually thought it was. Fears, then, any fears is what I mean.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Just a few

Specific phobias

-Thanatophobia
Fear of being dead or dying

-Apeirophobia
Fear of the infinite

"Fears"

-Spiders
This used to be arachnophobia, but the fear has died down some. Every now and then I'll get a bit freaked out

-Drunk/high people (or in a state similar to them)
I don't know what it is...but when someone is drunk or high, I become really uneasy and nervous around that person.

StormWalker
StormWalker
8,232 posts
Jester

As R2 said, I hate horses. Unconditionally. Not mentioning that when I was little at some kid's birthday party, there were horses we were supposed to ride around on, and mine tried to kick me, and then emptied a load o' stinky horse crap onto my brand new shoes. Which were sandals. Also they're freaking scary. What's that phobia? *google* Equinophobia.
...no offense, Strop.

Fears: Bees, I hate them. With a passion. Every year for three years in a row I got stung on my birthday. The word bees encompasses all things that buzz in my ear and give me a heart attack.
Also, when I'm trying to fall asleep, my imagination resurfaces and tries to give me a heart attack. (WHAT WAS THAT NOISE AAH) But those don't really count, because if you actually saw one in plain daylight [say, They Who Must Not Be Spoken Of from the village, or Steve from HetaOni] it'd be ridiclous. I'm not afraid of the dark, just what my imagination puts in it.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Bees

Oh my gosh, I HATE those. Haven't seen any in awhile though... plus wasps, yellow jackets, and praying mantis. Speaking of praying mantis... one time at my birthday,(probably last year) one of my uncles found one, he showed it to his brother and it jumped on his face and he screamed. Ahhhh... good times...

Reason I have a fear of mantis is not because one hurt me(never did) but the way they walk and their posture... creepy.
StormWalker
StormWalker
8,232 posts
Jester

How can you hate praying manits? I remember at camp a couple years back we were on a 'Bug Hunt' in which the person that found the biggest bug won. We tromped around in the park before i went into some tall grass! A wild 4-inch mantis appears! StormWalker uses: "ERMAGERD A GIANT BUG I WILL PUT IT ON MY FACE!" Mantis uses: Meh, I don't care.
I won the contest, too.
Ah, good times...

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

I suppose I have a fair degree of agliophobia, atomosophobia, carcinophobia, dystychiphobia, obesophobia, panthophobia, paralipophobia, etc, but who doesn't? I don't take them to extremes, and doesn't a phobia need to be irrational?

-Thanatophobia
Fear of being dead or dying

I don't have that as a fear, more of a "Well, that sucks, so I'll avoid it while I can", but not &quotanic-mode, never take any risk".
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

I have Phobophobia. That is a fear of Phobias.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

I don't have that as a fear, more of a "Well, that sucks, so I'll avoid it while I can", but not &quotanic-mode, never take any risk".

For me..it's more of the "Fear of being dead" part. Dying doesn't scare me, the thought of being dead does, though...if you get what I'm saying

And it is a legit phobia..I have had some fun experiences from it..
Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

I think arachnophobia is horrible. And when I use the term, I don't mean it so much as a phobia as much as like homophobia: just people disliking spiders and other bugs.

But also people with legitimate phobias, just mostly not them. They fuel negative attitudes. Specifically that it is okay to harm or kill bugs because you find them scary. It's really not.

Phobias? Me? I know no fear. My brother is pretty messed up by bees though.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

Dying doesn't scare me, the thought of being dead does, though...if you get what I'm saying

I get what you're saying, so I'll pull out the Twain quote:

"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

I have a phobia against sharks; it was so bad when I was a kid, I didn't dare get into the pool, something I blame on watching Jaws too soon.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

something I blame on watching Jaws too soon.

At least you didn't decide to never shower due to Psycho.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Tried being alone/sleeping/entering a dark room/ going to the toilet after Ju-On? :/
GandalftheGrey666
GandalftheGrey666
1,859 posts
Peasant

I never saw Psycho, but I fear that too. But I had to shower, I was stinking a lot. I have a pretty big fear of horror movies.
Showing 1-15 of 28