ForumsGamesPoor Observation vs Game Clones

42 7136
EndlessMarrow
EndlessMarrow
60 posts
Nomad

This has been a problem for all video games of old or new genres in the gaming industry, were crazy fanboy wails "oh this game is a minecraft clone" or when somebody is discussing a game of a different genre "Whoa, counterstrike Global Offensive is a rip-off of call of duty".

Listein these are statements or assumptions that are made everyday by a gamer that has not bothered to research the game and just assumes that its a rip-off no matter what you try to tell them. A good example of this would be for example: "Plasma burst is a clone of Raze since both of these games are set in the future but they only thing that separates Sir Raze from Sir Plasma Burst is that their entirely different in terms of gameplay and game mechanics. What i am trying to tell you is that we need to stop assuming and start gathering our facts about a game before we jump the gun on a game that could or could not be a copy, its just the game clones are setting up a new genre of gaming.

• 42 Replies
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

Let me express many problems with the thing you are speaking of.

alright lets start:

#1. like what? transylvania? diablo was unique whit their role-playing hack and slash game.
#2. this just doesn't make any sense. now UT2k4, quake and doom are halo rip offs. if there was any riping off then halo has ripped off the quake gameplay and added the UT2k4 Onslaught gameplay mode to it.
so they ripped off 2 games and combined them.

#3 i guess in your opinion all open world games are GTA clones. no?
#4 any FPS game is basically a doom clone.

Selective Observation if I am not mistaken were you only look at what you want to look at.

but your very very fast whit calling something a rip off or a clone while they are not.
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

@partydevil, I think you misunderstood him, he is stating the stupid comparisons some people will make.

FOR EXAMPLE
Skyrim ripped-off OoT because it had dungeons and is an RPG.

p.s. Has anyone else wanted to whack Navi with Biggeron's Sword (or the Master sword if you don't have Biggeron's Sword yet) a few times?

~~~Darth Caedus

samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

I was being sarcastic PartyDevil I beleive that should be obvios.
That's why we use arguments and debate to get to the truth of things. Thanks for adding exactly nothing to the discussion. Fine you want me to add something to the arguement.Any game can be an influence on another the problem is that there is a line that can be crossed I figure someone already said something like this but whatever my point is developers should be careful and gamers should not practice selective observation in fact no one should.

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

I was being sarcastic PartyDevil I beleive that should be obvios.

of course not, it's text. there is no expression in text so sarcasm can never be obvius. ty.

as for the rest of your flame.... i'll just gonna ignore it.
Vagueshade
Vagueshade
83 posts
Peasant

I'm just gonna step in here real quick.

One of the reasons I feel people can't see the differences clearly is because there are varying degrees of "taking influences".

A prime example for this would be InFAMOUS and Assassin's Creed. During development for the former, Sucker Punch said that it wanted to do something AC did, which was making the entire city climbable. They did just that. Obviously, this WASN'T the only thing that inspired InFAMOUS (comic books and games like Spider-Man 2 is a big one). And the climbing is different enough so that people don't find it a rip-off.

But then there's AC: Brotherhood and Arkham City/Asylum. When people learned about the combat in Brotherhood, many thought of it as a rip-off. One can argue that it certainly was, but what they added some things in there to keep that combat "formula" fresh.

Plus, when a good idea comes up, everyone winds up using somehow. That's how free-flow combat and weapon wheels became integral parts in some games.

EndlessMarrow
EndlessMarrow
60 posts
Nomad

Let's all face the cruel truth here, rip-offs/game clones should be praised since indie games are not the most mainstream type of games to catch our attention. I personally believe that the fine line should be drawn at plateform favorism since the PC gots all the necessary games while the console has to deal with some tin-foil games and sometimes there is a gem within that awful clutter, you can think copying a game is unethical then how about being exiled from a church for believing in your own religion that's Unethical in general.

ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

No, let's not. That's far from the truth. Ripping off games is unethical and unnecessary, and if you let developers get away with it you're an enabler to the industry's stagnation. I'm not sorry I'm not willing to settle for mediocrity.

EndlessMarrow
EndlessMarrow
60 posts
Nomad

Ihsahn can we settle for medicirocity or we can settle for your idea of an oppressive autocracy for game clones either way your the antagonist to video game business. Indie games are not to be shamed of, sure I buy said game that doesn't mean I'll buy the next sequel to it if its below my standards. I don't eat trash they give me I play it, review it before buying.

Vagueshade
Vagueshade
83 posts
Peasant

Let's all face the cruel truth here, rip-offs/game clones should be praised since indie games are not the most mainstream type of games to catch our attention. I personally believe that the fine line should be drawn at plateform favorism since the PC gots all the necessary games while the console has to deal with some tin-foil games and sometimes there is a gem within that awful clutter, you can think copying a game is unethical then how about being exiled from a church for believing in your own religion that's Unethical in general.

Check the title, I don't think you saw it.

Not all games are clones, but a lot of games take inspiration.

He's saying that we shouldn't let a developer take the exact idea and concept another has and say that it's their own.

A good example of this would be the EA vs. Zynga court-case.
Mr_Sand
Mr_Sand
672 posts
Peasant

What would FarCry 3 Blood Dragon be then?
Seeing as how its almost the same as FarCry but futuristic like Fallout 3 and Characters and phrases seem to be based off the 80s and 90s.
Theres Dragons/Dinosaurs
Weapons very similar to COD and Halo

Don't take me too serious I believe the game is original and meant to look like a futuristic 80s 90s fantasy. The game takes place in 2007 which is funny because the aspects from that game are not present now.

I do like this game though, some people think its just a way to get more money from the Far Cry franchise. Which is probably working because I bought it. The game does have some language in it that kids probably shouldn't be hearing. I love how sarcastic the main character is.
So in this game you collect Tvs and VHS tapes. Well whenever you find a TV he says stuff like "I hope I don't have to find any feathers" or "Good thing im not finding flags"
Being a direct reference to Assassins Creed

Vagueshade
Vagueshade
83 posts
Peasant

What would FarCry 3 Blood Dragon be then?

A spin-off title.

And considering it's from the EXACT same company that gave you Far Cry 3, and considering that Blood Dragon is a type of "expansion" per se.
samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

Every Far-Cry game is a *mhm* far cry from the last I don't how true this is about 2-3 but the most I've seen of this is true in some sense or another anyway back to my point.It seems strange how different the Far-Cry games are and although it sometimes can make the game less fun it is refreshing after playing Halo and Call of Duty for so long I guess my point is I'm glad to see developers trying different stuff in their games wall sticking true to the gameplay style

Showing 31-42 of 42