ForumsGamesXBox Reveal Thread

36 8901
KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

Figured I'd start a thread on this, because why the heck not. So Microsoft has, as of today, officially revealed the new XBox (complete with a ******* name rivalling the Wii U).

Here's a recording of the revealing conference.

Personally, I'll wait a bit for the internet to calm down, but what I'm seeing so far doesn't really make me especially hopeful for the future.

• 36 Replies
ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

So you're saying it's a mix and match of two incredibly sucky consoles?

*sigh* The PS3 and the XBox 360 are quite evenly matched. If anything the PS3 has the technical edge and no online fee.

We don't know this.

Yes, we do.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/xbox-one-not-backwards-compatible

"The system is based on a different core architecture, so back-compat doesn't really work from that perspective."

Where are you getting your information?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/xbox-one-will-not-function-without-kinect-attached

"Xbox's UK marketing director Harvey Eagle has said that the console will not function without Kinect connected."

http://www.vg247.com/2013/05/24/microsofts-kinect-patent-suggest-they-will-be-always-be-watching/
http://www.vg247.com/2013/05/27/we-arent-using-kinect-to-snoop-says-harrison/

"We listen for the word âXbox onâ and then switch on the machine, but we donât transmit personal data in any way, shape or form that could be personally identifiable to you, unless you explicitly opt into that.â

Maybe "can't turn off the microphone" is putting it a little paranoically, but it's technically true.

...So?
It's an extra step between you and your game. A little annoyance. I'm not fussing over it myself, but you know. Not ideal.

You're saying you don't have wireless internet?

A lot of people don't. We're not all first-world consumers. And even if you do, again, unnecessary extra step.
KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

I'm not going to re-link the stuff ihsahn was kind enough to post already, but I'll add my own opinion where it's applicable.

We don't know this. The 360 played old Xbox games.

Just because I don't think it was in the other link: XBLA games won't carry over to Xbox One

"We listen for the word âXbox onâ and then switch on the machine, but we donât transmit personal data in any way, shape or form that could be personally identifiable to you, unless you explicitly opt into that.â

Now, I'm not going into any crazy conspiracy theories, but that's kind of a scary quote, because they could quite easily put an "opt-in paragraph" in the EULA for something like Xbox Live, which is sorta required for most of the big media features (not to mention online multiplayer!).

Nevermind that a lot of the features aren't going to be available outside the US for atleast a while after the system launches.

I'm saying I don't have wireless internet.
It's a pointless step that shouldn't exist, because it punishes people that don't hook up their consoles to the internet. Which, fyi, is a little over 40% of all currently sold 360's.

Not to mention there's the possibility that all Xbox Ones will simply cease to function once Microsoft turns of the servers in gen 9 or whenever.

...So?

It's an extra step between you and your game. A little annoyance. I'm not fussing over it myself, but you know. Not ideal.

The Xbox One has a Bluray drive. Bluray discs can have up to 50GB of data on them. The onboard HDD is only 500 GB.

So not only do you have to wait for an entire Bluray to install on your console, you'll also need to spend more money to buy more storage. All for a pointless extra step that's all the more painful than simply to buy a new game and pop it into your console.

How do you know?

From this. Hope you don't plan on loaning any of your games.
ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

Now, I'm not going into any crazy conspiracy theories, but that's kind of a scary quote, because they could quite easily put an "opt-in paragraph" in the EULA for something like Xbox Live, which is sorta required for most of the big media features (not to mention online multiplayer!).

I'd hate to fuel more conspiracy still, but what the heck.

"Other Kinect patents we told you about last night, and updated this morning, could see Kinect acting as a watchdog of sorts by monitoring the number of viewers in a room.

This would allow content providers to set a threshold which if exceeded would trigger a prompt for the device owner to purchase a license for more viewers."

This is probably just one more of Microsoft's crazy ideas they'll never implement, especially due to fear of consumer backlash and a ton of lawsuits, so I wouldn't worry at all. But hey. It's a faint possibility.

The Xbox One has a Bluray drive. Bluray discs can have up to 50GB of data on them. The onboard HDD is only 500 GB.
Hell, the digital download of Uncharted 3 was bigger than the disc could hold. These are next-gen games we're looking at, 500GB wouldn't even start to cover a library the size of mine. But then, there's games of all sizes, 50GB is more a cap than a norm, I doubt many games will get that big even in the next generation. The biggest game I've ever had to get from PSN had like 8GB. Wait and see how big the new games are, I guess.
I'm with you though, it's quite troubling.
Mr_Sand
Mr_Sand
672 posts
Peasant

So you're saying it's a mix and match of two incredibly sucky consoles?

It's sarcasm and yes. Even looking at the picture it looks like two pieces were put together like legos.

We don't know this. The 360 played old Xbox games

Only certain ones like halo and a few other but I remember it was kind of a hit and miss. Not like any of the old Xbox games were good anyway.
And besides if you have an Xbox 360 and its games then why does it matter if you need backwards compatibility. If your that lazy that you can't turn on the 360 to play its old games then why do you need to. Why would you buy a new console if you like the old games. Why do you think it needs backwards compatibility. Its not like you old game is going to magically get better graphics because you put it in a new console.

Some people don't and besides the fact, it is kind of dumb because it means that if you can't afford your internet bill then you can't play your Xbox

So it's annoying. Why install extra hardrives when, in reality, you have the game already installed on a disc? It's an unnecessary step. Plus it can get expensive if you use your console frequently and for a lot of things.

Ive never had so many games that it could fill up a hard drive and who's to say that the games wont be in a smaller format like the PC has. And changing out a hard drive is not much harder than putting a game disc in.
and with all Terabyte hard drives existing now that didn't exist when the 360 and PS3 first came out, who knows maybe it will be possible to have TB drives
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

who's to say that the games wont be in a smaller format like the PC has.

They're going to be bigger. Games have always increased in file size, and there's no reason for them not to now.You can't compress a game very well.

And changing out a hard drive is not much harder than putting a game disc in.

But I don't want to buy something when I shouldn't have to. I have over a hundred games, and I'd need quite a lot of memory to save and play them all. I don't want to have to do that.

and with all Terabyte hard drives existing now that didn't exist when the 360 and PS3 first came out, who knows maybe it will be possible to have TB drives

$$$
Mr_Sand
Mr_Sand
672 posts
Peasant

They're going to be bigger. Games have always increased in file size, and there's no reason for them not to now.You can't compress a game very well

I don't know...... Borderlands 2 with all the DLC on my PC is only 8gbs and Team Fortress 2 is like 20gbs
Skyrim is about 6gbs
Who knows maybe they will have a cloud type of thing that saves to a server like Steam and Itunes. They already have a small cloud but maybe they will make it so people can have way more space.

But I don't want to buy something when I shouldn't have to. I have over a hundred games, and I'd need quite a lot of memory to save and play them all. I don't want to have to do that.

Who knows if you will have over 100 games on the Xbox One because your old game library already doesn't matter. And like I said they will probably have a new type of formatting with games like the PC has.

And for your money issue, a TB can hold a lot of games and space as well as 500 gbs. And with more memory coming out and pricing coming down it shouldn't be too expensive. Ive seen 4tb external drives run as low as 170 to 200 dollars and that is 4tbs.
I think it would be a valid investment
Showing 31-36 of 36