ForumsThe TavernArmor Games Community Activity Initiative

428 73886
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Welcome! Please grab a cup of coffee, and one of those delicious donuts most kindly donated by R2.

As you can guess from the title, this is yet another attempt at solving the AG activity problem. This problem has been ever present since late 2010. Many reasons as to the cause have been presented, ranging from a much delayed release of AG3, to lacking of a community manager, or the end of the flash gaming era.

I do have a couple of ideas concerning activity and how to increase it. Whether these are the keys to solving the issues at hand or not is unbeknownst to me, but I most certainly feel it is definitely worth the effort.

I'm not going into details - yet. Firstly, I'm going to need a few volunteers. More the better, but not more then 20 (20, yeah right...) Don't volunteer then become inactive that would not be beneficial to anything.

• 428 Replies
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Matrix, couldn't you have waited until I posted the details before you started bagging on my ideas? Why couldn't you have waited? How do you know what approach I was planning on taking? How do you know that this thread is going to be the same as the others in the past? You already disabled half of my thread by planting doubt in the minds of the other users. Thanks so much for that.

Whether you think that we has something to do with past discussions on the topic at hand or not is irrelevant. This thread is about creating a new era of activity and interest in the forums through the coop of users and admins. I'm trying to help the community out, whether any one else does or not, and I would appreciate it if you would please quit destroying my ideas before I post them.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

You already disabled half of my thread by planting doubt in the minds of the other users.

Bring Gandalf the White to set you free. You just made me compare myself to that guy that poisoned the mind of the king of Rohan, which I do not like, but I wouldn't mind the power.

With threads like these you should just avoid all the riff-raff and get to the point. Don't request volunteers or make people wait like someone who shall not be named did. Just post your ideas, ask others to post ideas, and most importantly, follow through.

I probably won't bother talking about your thread ideas or what you have planned here, so you don't have to worry about me messing with those. However I will comment on the idea that people think they can control what happens here.

Also if you want admin help you probably should've contacted Ferret before creating this, otherwise it'll go unnoticed.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

You don't have power over it. You can't control whether people use the site or not. You can't control what people post. The only thing you have control over here is yourself. The whole idea that you can bring up activity is wrong.

I'd rant about how this relates to saying "You can't control votes..." and something about influence sparking action blahblahblah, but a better route might be: how did people find this place? Activity was once 0, but was somehow brought up. If only [less-than sign]1% of users are finding a rather important feature of the site with a majority of those being purely out of curiosity, there's problems that need to be addressed.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Probably will be in, but it depends on work and stuff yeah.

The best course of actions are to create more threads, list out ideas to make the Forum more noticeable, more accessible and more interactive, then writing to the admins. I know someone did this last year, but he didn't exactly make concrete suggestions.

Swaying the admins to use Twitter or FB to reach out to their already substantial following about the Forum is one way.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Or you know, doling out badges for Forum Activity, Contests wins and such. Of course steps need to be taken to ensure that people don't spam, but that has always been managed effectively in the Forums.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

just a little question:
AG is doing something new now right? it has 1st google hit and about the only flash game site. when you search for "mmo flash games"
(not including the payed advertisement site's that i skip automatically)

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

oops, that should have been posted in the "Getting Armor Games Noticed" topic. my bad.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

I think it's more of, we want people in the Forums, since people are only playing games now.

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

With threads like these you should just avoid all the riff-raff and get to the point. Don't request volunteers or make people wait like someone who shall not be named did.

Are you still sore about what *name censored* did? Shouldn't you be over that by now? Anyway, I feel I'm fully capable of creating, running, and managing my own forum thread. Did I ask for advice from anybody? No. I'm not the kind that accepts free help or advice when I don't want or need it, so don't waste your time.

Just post your ideas, ask others to post ideas, and most importantly, follow through.

If you wouldn't have started this whole thing, not to mention swinging the whole thread off topic, I probably could have accomplished that by now.

I probably won't bother talking about your thread ideas or what you have planned here, so you don't have to worry about me messing with those.

Is it not a little late to be posting that? I mean, you already ruined any ideas I could have posted with your assumptions and comments, not to mention your little seeds of doubt that you planted.

Also if you want admin help you probably should've contacted Ferret before creating this, otherwise it'll go unnoticed.

Do not treat me like a stupid newcomer Matrix, I've been here longer then you have. I have a 110% knowledge of how AG functions. I've got my reasons for doing it my way. I'll tell you flat out (nothing personal intended) I do not need yours (or any other users) help unless I request it.

I'm not trying to get into an argument with you GOM, but I think it would be better for all of us if you didn't post in this thread (just saying, you're more then welcome to contribute, but this is just dragging it off topic.)
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

Are you still sore about what *name censored* did?

I never was. It was just an example of what not to do.
If you wouldn't have started this whole thing, not to mention swinging the whole thread off topic, I probably could have accomplished that by now.

This forum is for public discussion, people are going to oppose your ideas / views / etc. If you don't want that, create a private forum. Or alternatively, ignore posts that bother you and continue to what you wanted to do. Don't blame me for you not accomplishing anything by now, it's your own fault for getting side tracked. If people keep responding to my posts and I want to respond back, it'll happen. If our roles were switched, I would've ignored you.
Is it not a little late to be posting that? I mean, you already ruined any ideas I could have posted with your assumptions and comments, not to mention your little seeds of doubt that you planted.

I haven't responded to any specific ideas, just that you can't make people use the site and this topic will probably fail, like the others.
nichodemus actually posted a good idea, asking the admins to advertise the forum on their social network pages. They could also make a news post once a week or something.
The question is, why should they? What reason is there to increase forum activity? Why is it important? What is wrong with how the forum is now and how would more activity make it better?
Do not treat me like a stupid newcomer Matrix

I don't know how you got that, you seem very defensive here. You posted that you wanted admins and users to work together, I suggested something.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

not to mention your little seeds of doubt that you planted.

Just take it as a challenge; another reason to actually accomplish something.

I'm not trying to get into an argument with you GOM

Too late...

Don't blame me for you not accomplishing anything by now, it's your own fault for getting side tracked.

I agree there. The best defense is a good offense. [To xzeano321] You made the claim that we're here to do something. Show it.

The question is, why should they? What reason is there to increase forum activity? Why is it important? What is wrong with how the forum is now and how would more activity make it better?

One issue that they might care about is failure to properly report stuff, like bugs or glitches with games or the site itself. People will voice their concerns in game comments expecting the developer to read what they post instead of using the proper channels like the Support Forum where problems get addressed quickly.

Another thing is that more forum activity would mean more feedback for the site and ways to improve.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

[Whispers]They could always place little advertisements/sponsors on the sides or bottom of the forum's pages (example: Vizzed.com)[/whispers]

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Someone (Xeano?), just make a document with our current ideas.

Let's not deviate into any other discussion, or risk ending up like our other attempts. This goes out to everyone.

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

I never was. It was just an example of what not to do.

That only failed because of what "he" did.

This forum is for public discussion

...Of the topic at hand. So far you've been successful at swinging the topic to this discussion between you and me.

Or alternatively, ignore posts that bother you and continue to what you wanted to do.

Your assumptions and previous (for lack of a better word) attacks on my idea and plans for this thread before you even saw what they were is not helping in my effort. You will notice nobody else has really volunteered since?

I haven't responded to any specific ideas, just that you can't make people use the site and this topic will probably fail, like the others.

That's what I mean. Who said anything about making people use the site? Where did you get that?

I don't know how you got that, you seem very defensive here.

No kidding...

You posted that you wanted admins and users to work together, I suggested something.

Did I ask for suggestions or advice? No, I didn't. Feel free to post them, but do not (I repeat DO NOT) say "you should have done this" to me, I do not like help from others without request. Nothing personal against you, but I do not like people thinking that they need to help me.

I've had about enough of this discussion to be honest. I've already wasted more then enough time on this whole thing. Please do not continue it any further, since it could become a personal issue before long.

xzeano321

*Ahem*

I agree there. The best defense is a good offense. [To xzeano321] You made the claim that we're here to do something. Show it.

I'm still working on it. I'll have the summary of the thread and stuff posted today, as well as my other ideas. (Whether they are going to live up to all my talk in the past two pages....)
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

...Of the topic at hand. So far you've been successful at swinging the topic to this discussion between you and me.

The topic is being discussed, just not in the way you envisioned. Don't give me all the success either, without the responses this wouldn't be happening.
As I mentioned before, I will continue to respond if people do and I feel there is discussion value, because that's how conversations work. If I'm ignored, you probably won't see me here anymore. You guys seriously need to learn this, especially since several users get so angry at that one guy.
You will notice nobody else has really volunteered since?

Make posts that will make them want to volunteer. You can't expect people to be willing to spend time on something like this if they have no idea what is going on.
For example:
This contest is about * and will reward *, details disclosed whenever I feel like, which may or may not happen within 1-10 weeks.
This contest is about poetry and will reward merits.
Which will people likely join? I realise this isn't a contest, but there's an example of what's going on.
Who said anything about making people use the site? Where did you get that?

"Operation: Activity"
"I do have a couple of ideas concerning activity and how to increase it."
Tell me, how else do you get activity other than people using the site? The only way to get more people to use the site is to persuade them to, which is what I meant by "make". Not literally slamming their face into the computer until they use ArmorGames.
Showing 16-30 of 428