ForumsWEPRIs Al Gore a terrorist?

49 7416
th3pr3tz3l
th3pr3tz3l
189 posts
Nomad

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

This topic is not about the discussion of if global warming is/is not happening. It is purely a discussion about Al Gore himself and wether or not he meets the definition of a terrorist, through performing acts of terrorism

The other day, when doing about nothing in particular, I began to think about terrorism, and tried to figure out if any seemingly accepted figures in Canadian or American society fit the definition of terrorist. And my thoughts came to Al Gore himself, the former vice president who spreads awareness about global warming. I will point out I will argue strongly he is a terrorist, but this is really because I want to see if I could argue it effectively enought to actually convince people that he is a terrorist. Basically i'm saying I DONT ACTUALLY BELIEVE THIS! Unless of course I argue it too well, then maybe i will believe it .

One of the definitions of terrorism that the United States Government uses is:

Too intimidate or coerce a civilian population;or To influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion.

By this definition wouldn't Al Gore be considered a terrorist?

Here is a statement made by Edward Peck, former U.S chief of mission in Iraq, when Jimmy Carter was president:

"In 1985, when I was the Deputy Director of the Reagan White House Task Force on Terrorism, they asked us...to come up with a definition of terrorism that could be used throughout the government. We produced about six, and each and every case, they were rejected, because careful reading would indicate that our own country had been involved in some of those activities."

Now this topic is not about the government, but about Al Gore, and careful inspection of the current definition of terrorism used by the United States implicates one of its upstanding citizens, Al Gore.

I Believe Al Gore used his film, An Incovenient Truth, to scare the masses into a panic about global warming. He showed images of some of the countrie's largest cities being destroyed by flooding as they were lower than sea level. Doomsaying as this could do much more than just worry people about global warming, it could even affect things like housing prices in the area! Although I am not saying he would have caused these other affects intentionally, would he not have intimidated, and in doing that, coerced a civilian population as the definition of terrorism states? I also believe anyone who didn't know about global warming before his movie must not pay attentiont to the media, it had been being talked about for years, all Al Gore did was make a movie. Even Richard S. Lindzen, a writer for Wall Street Journal, wrote in the June 26, 2006 issue that Gore was using a biased presentation to exploit the fears of the public for his own political gain.

Would anyone like to comment on this?

• 49 Replies
Eyes
Eyes
139 posts
Blacksmith

Now watch out and don't slip into global warming. The question is did he purposefully instill fear into people to influence the civilian population, or the government.

Well, hey now, why do you need us, then? How are we supposed to measure public fear and if it motivates public policy? I could surely make a guess, but I don't think I could cite a &quotublic-fear-o-meter". And who but Gore knows his intentions? I'm sure Strop will have something to say about that, but I sure don't know anything.

Wether that fear was necessary or not is irrelevant.

Well now you're just supposing he did in fact instill fear to influence policy. If it is irrelavent then our discussion stops at "What Gore's intentions were and the result of his actions", then we don't get to talk about the label "terrorist" at all. Because if you want to label someone with such a dramatic label without taking into account whether his actions were necessary and if the intentions/results were negative or positive, that seems a little unfair.
Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

he definetally intended people to watch it, if he did not intend people to panic he is one stupid person or has no empathy skills

SkullZero1
SkullZero1
511 posts
Nomad

I'm going to go and challenge you on this one, might be a bit hard but I'll try...

Al gore is not a terrorist, I believe that the united states government is wrong again with the definition. What I believe a terrorist is would be someone who tries to intimidate and instill fear throughout a civilian population with threats of killing or harming them. I don't recall Al Gore telling people to stop polluting or he'll shoot them, therefore, Al Gore is not a terrorist.

Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

yet you could also stop at "with threats"
for he could be sublyminally saying in his movie pay those taxes or this will happen

th3pr3tz3l
th3pr3tz3l
189 posts
Nomad

-Eyes

When i stated

Wether that fear is necessary or not is irrelevant.

I made a mistake, a statement I all but retracted in a later post when I said

I guess that motive is important

And realizing now that motive is important, the discussion has become:

Does he fit the definition of a terrorist?
under this motivation does become important, and even though you can't delve deep into the psyche of Al Gore, you can look at the results and make an educated guess, or express your own opinion. And in the end I realize this may not necessarily be a debate, but has seemed to change to personal opinion. Wich I will have to accept.

Skull

So you are saying what the definition of terrorism in the United States should be, and that the United states government definition is incorrect?

Well lets look at other definitions, here we have the european union's definition of terrorism:

"given their nature or context, may seriously damage a country or an international organisation where committed with the aim of: seriously intimidating a population; or unduly compelling a Government or international organisation to perform or abstain from performing any act; or seriously destabilising or destroying the fundamental political, constitutional, economic or social structures of a country or an international organisation."

Not a metion of violence.

Here we have the definition of the United Kingdom:

the use or threat of action where:

(a) the action falls within subsection (2),
(b) the use or threat is designed to influence the government or to intimidate the public or a section of the public and
(c) the use or threat is made for the purpose of advancing a political, religious or ideological cause.
(2) Action falls within this subsection if it
(a) involves serious violence against a person,
(b) involves serious damage to property,
(c) endangers a personâs life, other than that of the person committing the action,
(d) creates a serious risk to the health or safety of the public or a section of the public or
(e) is designed seriously to interfere with or seriously to disrupt an electronic system.

Here violence is a possible method, but is not necessary for a terrorist act to be committed.

Eyes
Eyes
139 posts
Blacksmith

I made a mistake, a statement I all but retracted in a later post when I said

I guess that motive is important

My mistake. I posted late, and didn't see that statement.

(b) the use or threat is designed to influence the government or to intimidate the public or a section of the public and
(c) the use or threat is made for the purpose of advancing a political, religious or ideological cause.

If this particular definition is used, then yes, his actions were to influence the government/public for the purpose of advancing his cause. But come on, that makes him a terrorist?!

My point that I am making again, because it wasn't addressed, is that the word "terrorist" is just a word. Anyone who fits a particular definition is a terrorist, no exceptions. The necessity of his actions and wether the intentions/results are positive or negative aren't even taken into account. Using the current logic, you are assigning a biased label to someone without considering all the facts.
SkullZero1
SkullZero1
511 posts
Nomad

Well, as for this debate I'm going argue this a bit further.

You see people who get arrested for terrorist acts people who had some sort of ties to a violent act, you don't see people accused for terrorism if they went around with a megaphone running up to people yelling 'EVERYONE GET AWAY FROM ME!!' sure he'd get arrested, but not for terrorism, yet he falls under the definition of a terrorist.

Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

yet that would be a terrorist because he is causing panic which leads to fear or terror

it does not matter whether you want it to be good or not, its like saying that Iraq is going to kill us all and you say it just for people to know but you get classified as a terrorist because you are causing fear

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

YES.

Well, he himself is not a terrorist, he is the reason for 9/11.

You see, he made racial profiling in airports illegal. So when the two terrorists showed up, they were Arab, they payed in cash, they had no luggage, and they showed up RIGHT AT THE LAST MINUTE before the plane took off. But since racial profiling is illegal, they could not check them because there was no real evidence so it would be labeled as a check because they were Arab. So they just moseyed (not literally moseyed) on board and crashed the plane into the two towers.

Plane ---------> | |

So therefore, the worst president in history, Bill Clinton, was the reason for 9/11.

On a side note, his idiocy was also proven when one of the middle eastern countries (can't remember specifically which one) actually had Osama Binladin in there custody and asked Bill Clinton is he wanted him so the United States could deal with him how they wanted to. He denied there generous offer of the most wanted man in the world because they had "more important things on there minds". @sshole.

SkullZero1
SkullZero1
511 posts
Nomad

I think terrorist is a bit too much off a loose term, It's way too broad to use affectively, because terrorism is illegal, yet everyone did some sort of terrorist act in some way.

th3pr3tz3l
th3pr3tz3l
189 posts
Nomad

@ Skull

He in fact could be arrested for terrorism if the U's government found that he had made the movie for personal gain or to influence the gov't/people.

That defenition for the united States, it is the defenition under the federal criminal code. So he in fact could be charged with terrorism.

@Eyes

The label is not biased in anyways, it is not unfair to anyone, or rigged in favor of me. It is a label, and you yoursef said that we do not know all these facts you want us to consider, as you do not have a public-fear-o-meter, and cannot read Al Gore's mind.

th3pr3tz3l
th3pr3tz3l
189 posts
Nomad

I made lots of errors in my first comment to you Skull, I was basically saying that the definition stated is the one used in the federal criminal code, and if the US government had evidence of a motive he could be charged.

BlazeLax38
BlazeLax38
63 posts
Nomad

Well I don't think that Al Gore is a terrorist but I know that Barack Obama was involved with some terrorist activity.

th3pr3tz3l
th3pr3tz3l
189 posts
Nomad

@ Blaze

Do you KNOW? how do you know? proof please?

@ Ricador

and Im sorry Ricador I didn't see your post, but as I am not trying to be completely biased towards Al Gore being a terrorist. And that whole thing was just....i dont want to get into Al Gore causing 9/11.

But about how Bill Clinton le Osama BinLaden go....what does that have to do with Al Gore? First you say "On a side note, but then you say HIS idiocy. It seems you're talking about Al Gore. But I don't believe you are, right?

SuperzMcShort
SuperzMcShort
325 posts
Nomad

You should know that there is no universally accepted definition of terrorism even within the US government. That said using the definition that you provided th3pr3tz3l then Al Gore would be a terrorist. However, also using your definition nearly anyone anywhere could be a terrorist as fear is a base human emotion that's often used in arguments and debates ('if you don't take the proper precautions when setting up that nuclear plant then thousands of people will die' for example uses fear to illustrate a point and thus would be considered terrorism).

However a definition similar to the U.S. Department of Defense's, "the calculated use of violence or the threat of violence to inculcate fear; intended to coerce or to intimidate governments or societies in the pursuit of goals that are generally political, religious, or ideological." (taken from http://www.crf-usa.org/terror/What_Is_Terrorism_rev.htm) will show that perhaps the most important organizations in terms of defining terrorism in the U.S. would say that Al Gore is not a terrorist as he hasn't taken, or planned to take (to the extent of my knowledge) violent actions in order to further his goals.

Showing 16-30 of 49