ForumsThe TavernThere's an app for that...

11 2557
DidactUnbound
DidactUnbound
370 posts
Nomad

Ever wondered that as iPhones, iPods, and iPads progress further that one day there really will be an app for everything that ever was, ever has been, and ever will be? If so, please share your ideas for a few of those apps. And if not, feel free to let AG know that you're jealous of people that have iPhones, iPads, and iPods because you don't. And take comfort that there is an app for that as well. It's called iJealous.

• 11 Replies
SunPixie
SunPixie
75 posts
Nomad

They wouldn't be able to create an app for everything ever. Then Apple would be a monopoly and those are kind of illegal now. Well it would be a bigger monopoly. I have an iPhone myself, and we have a few iPads and Mac's sitting around the house. My whole family has some sort of iPod, but none of them are the iPod touches, so yeah.
But the app store is already one of the main reasons people get iWhatevers. There are more apps and there are less issues because all apps have to pass some sort of regulation, whereas with Android, anyone can make and app and it have all sorts of viruses.

I would, however, like to have an app where I can download free music using a simple search engine instead of going through an app to get to the web, then a site, then download it. Like the ones in the Android market and stuff.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I would, however, like to have an app where I can download free music using a simple search engine instead of going through an app to get to the web, then a site, then download it.

Copyright issues. :/

They wouldn't be able to create an app for everything ever. Then Apple would be a monopoly and those are kind of illegal now.

Actually, monopolies are formed by businesses to eliminate competition. If there was a competing app-building company (which there are - there are thousands of app developers), then they would compete, thus eliminating any monopolies. Apple doesn't own many apps available on the App Store, they merely distribute them for a small fee.

The only viable obstacle would be the need for the advancement of technology. Well, that and humans themselves. :P
partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

Then Apple would be a monopoly and those are kind of illegal now. Well it would be a bigger monopoly. I have an iPhone myself, and we have a few iPads and Mac's sitting around the house. My whole family has some sort of iPod,

exactly what apple wants.
because you use apple products now. you wont be able to easly transfer to products of other companies anymore. apple has a monopoly over you by not making their products compatible whit other companies then themselves.

I would, however, like to have an app where I can download free music using a simple search engine

for firefox there are apps to do that easily. using youtube as search engine.
SunPixie
SunPixie
75 posts
Nomad

If Apple had the app store that contained every app ever, then people would ONLY buy Apple products, effectively putting all other distributors out of business and creating a monopoly of the social technology world. Illegal.

Yes I know, partydevil. it's annoying. But Apple is smart and I do commend them for it. I like it when my friends have iPhones too because it makes it hella easier to share stuff with. I don't like Macs though. I actually have an extreme dislike for them.

And for the music thing, I can't hook up my phone to a computer without it erasing all of my music or all of the computers music. There is a way aroud it, but I am much too lazy to spend so much time doing it when I'm okay with spending 10-12 bucks on an album on iTunes. Doesn't mean I LIKE spending my money, but if there was an easier way for me to download music to my iPhone, I would.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

If Apple had the app store that contained every app ever, then people would ONLY buy Apple products, effectively putting all other distributors out of business and creating a monopoly of the social technology world. Illegal.

But Apple would never get large enough to distribute every app available, nor would iOS run in every device. iOS has its flaws, you know.
SunPixie
SunPixie
75 posts
Nomad

Everything has its flaws. I'm well aware that iOS has issues. Again, one of the main reasons people buy iThings is because of the app store. Most good games start out in the App Store for iPhones, and then if they get popular enough, knock offs are made or the original game is made for Android users and other phones.
Again remember this is only if EVERYTHING in the WORLD was available in an APP. Almost completely impossible. Apple already has the larger app store, and if they got more people buying their phones and devices, then yes, I believe they could become large enough.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Everything has its flaws. I'm well aware that iOS has issues. Again, one of the main reasons people buy iThings is because of the app store. Most good games start out in the App Store for iPhones, and then if they get popular enough, knock offs are made or the original game is made for Android users and other phones.
Again remember this is only if EVERYTHING in the WORLD was available in an APP. Almost completely impossible. Apple already has the larger app store, and if they got more people buying their phones and devices, then yes, I believe they could become large enough.

I don't really see how it's feasible. Even with unrestricted capitalism (which no country should ever have), Apple could never grow to the size necessary to essentially be the only app distributor in the world. Apple has its competitors that have better technology, systems, values, etc. so they wouldn't ever get completely beaten by Apple. Also, I doubt the government would allow Apple to run everything. :P
SunPixie
SunPixie
75 posts
Nomad

Well yes but it all started over the OP.

They wouldn't be able to create an app for everything ever. Then Apple would be a monopoly and those are kind of illegal now.

^this is my reply^
And of course it would take years upon years but it's like how all monopolies were formed. Whoever has the upper hand can at least take out a few competitors. It wouldn't even have to be Apple on its own, but a sort of merger between the tops companies or even a conglomerate. There are ways to get around all current laws if you have the right words.
partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

Yes I know, partydevil. it's annoying. But Apple is smart and I do commend them for it. I like it when my friends have iPhones too because it makes it hella easier to share stuff with. I don't like Macs though. I actually have an extreme dislike for them.

imagion you had a pc and a android. and your friends have non-i-stuff aswell.
then you could just as easly share over the phone whit friends and whit the pc.
apple might have thought of it 1st. but that doesn't make them better. maybe at 1st. but the begin of smart phones have passed now.

I can't hook up my phone to a computer without it erasing all of my music or all of the computers music.

wow... you sure apple is what you want? i got no problems whit my galaxy and windows XP/vista/7/8

Doesn't mean I LIKE spending my money, but if there was an easier way for me to download music to my iPhone, I would.

see the above reply. xD

one of the main reasons people buy iThings is because of the app store.

weird, the google play seems to work just as well.

Most good games start out in the App Store for iPhones, and then if they get popular enough, knock offs are made or the original game is made for Android users and other phones.

so the iphone has a ****load of bad games and android only gets the good games... i know what i would choose.

if they got more people buying their phones and devices,

then they will be forced to make them compatible. like microsoft had to make themselves better compatible some years ago because they had taken to much of a monopoly position.
SunPixie
SunPixie
75 posts
Nomad

then they will be forced to make them compatible. like microsoft had to make themselves better compatible some years ago because they had taken to much of a monopoly position.

Which would obliterate the issues you pointed out in your above post.

I don't want Apple stuff. I was given my iPhone and iPod. I had a nifty little Motorola Milestone before I had my iPhone. But it had a lot of issues and glitches that I've never had on my iPhone. But the same applies vice versa.
partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

Which would obliterate the issues you pointed out in your above post.

which can take ages befor someone bothers to look at it. in the case of microsoft it was going on for like 12 or 13 year. if i remember right then Nvidia was somewhere in that game aswell.

I don't want Apple stuff. I was given my iPhone and iPod.

well, good luck with that. ^^
Showing 1-11 of 11