ForumsWEPRCan two people touch eachother?

40 11411
th3pr3tz3l
th3pr3tz3l
189 posts
Nomad

This case is not completely mine, as I got the idea from another debate on the same topic, but I would still like to attempt to argue it myself. This is a challenge for me to attempt to argue something that at first seems ridiculous, but at second glance, makes some sense. This is a sequel to my Is Al Gore a Terrorist? topic when I attempted to argue that he was. The question: Is it physically possible to touch someone?

The scientific argument is that Humans are made up of atoms, atoms are made up of protons, neutrons, and electrons. Protons are + charged, Neutrons are neutral, and electrons are - charged. It is also a scientificcaly, accepted fact that like charges repel, and opposite charfes attract. As electrons are on the outermost layer, orbiting the nucleus wich contains protons and neutrons, when you "touch" someone you are not actually touching, because your electrons will repel one another.

Keep in mind this is not about wether you can "feel" someone, but wether you can TOUCH them.

• 40 Replies
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Guh, Cortexal, for our convenience, could you be so good as to copy the direct URL? Being a whole-scale quote, it also contains a whole lot of material that most people here have no hope of understanding i.e. about quarks and subatomic particles, and what 'van der Waals' means (in terms of dispersion forces in molecular interaction).

I happen to know what this is talking about but even I struggle with QCD as it's an unfamiliar term.

And then...well, uh, your final statement doesn't actually have anything to do with what both Skull and I meant by 'splitting atoms' which has me doubting that you understand what you've posted yourself.

Cortexal
Cortexal
80 posts
Nomad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_force

There is the full URL of the site I just posted.

Cortexal
Cortexal
80 posts
Nomad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_force

Oh, sorry. It didn't work. Here is a better one. I hope this one works.

necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

Yes here is how.
-Get people on spaceship
-Send them to a black hole
-Have the people gather just before reaching it
-Once past the event horizon the gravity will be so great that the people and the ship will be smashed together.
-The electrons and protons will fuse into neutrons so they will have no electrical force
-The gravity will force their neutrons together so they are touching.
-The ship at this point, smaller than the tiniest speck of dust will be broken apart within the black hole

Thus people can touch each other, just not while alive, or even recognizable as a person. :P

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

That's not fair, necromancer, nobody knows what goes on inside that black hole... :P

YOU'RE VIOLATING CAUSALITY :O :O :O

Lordofd511
Lordofd511
114 posts
Peasant

don't go there. it raises too many questions which make my brain hurt. like "how can you move someething?"think about it. if a "solid" item it mostly just empty space between particals, then how, when youpush it, do they all move? the particals are all so inactive, do they actually touch each other? or are they reacting to something else? and, could no one bring up that cat again. yet again, nothing but headaches.

Lordofd511
Lordofd511
114 posts
Peasant

o, and the thing with the tree falling in the forest isn't so much "does it make a sound" so much as "PROVE it makes a sound, or doesn't" and thats the thing. if no one is witness, it can't be really proved at all. then again, what can? everything is just perception anyway. seriously, everything we see, hear, is all just how the electrical impulse our bodys naturally use to respond to these things are interpreted by the brain. we can't fully comprehend ourselves, this is an impossibility.

BlazeLax38
BlazeLax38
63 posts
Nomad

Well I don't see why 2 people cannot touch eachother. Maybe if it is for assult then they can't but I don't see what is so wrong with two poeple touching eachother.

EL_Dyablo_666
EL_Dyablo_666
579 posts
Nomad

Yes, they can of course they can.

th3pr3tz3l
th3pr3tz3l
189 posts
Nomad

I would like to point out that the conlcusion was YES two people can touch each other. And this was a scientific question not opinionated.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

To add to that: the question is ultimately semantic in nature- considering the usefulness of the term 'touching' in terms of the perception of contact.

Speaking of which- if you were a 'hilosophical zombie' (had no sensory modalities or any way with which to perceive the world), would you be able to 'touch' things given you had a physical body? Or would this only be designated by somebody observing that you were actually touching something?

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

I think that you can touch other people. I mean nuclear fission relies upon the fact that neutrons collide and then cause a chaim reaction so even tho our body is made up of tiny atoms when one atom touches another that is what we feel i get what the post is about tho its an interesting one. But from as strop sed the philosophical view is very similar to the if a tree falls and no one is there does it make a sound conundrum. To thats i say if a video camera records a tree falling it records the noise and yet no one was ther to witness it. What do ya say 2 that.

th3pr3tz3l
th3pr3tz3l
189 posts
Nomad

I say that there is the idea that no matter how insignificant, an observer to an event, or object to observe such as a camera, affects the event itself. Tehrefore we have no idea what would happen to the tree if it fell and no one was there. If we palced a camera there, it would affect the tree, and the tree might do something else.

This theory for an idiot: Every time you're not looking at something it could be doing a funny dance, as far as you know.

I added that in, just because i saw a bookshelf covered in _______ for an idot books.

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

I disagree with this theory i mean does that mean if we watch someone they would be doing something rele weird if we wernet watching them. I can see where this argument comes from but there are no real point to it. It is just forr snobby ontellectuals to mull over whent ehre are rea issues to be discussed. Even if it is true there would be nothing we could do to affect or change the reality so why agonise over it.

th3pr3tz3l
th3pr3tz3l
189 posts
Nomad

And i agree with you, I do not believe it is correct, but it has its merit, we have no idea what going on with something unless we observe it, and then we might change what it does. Just bringing up the idea

Showing 16-30 of 40