ForumsWEPRWorld's most prominent Gay Conversion group disbands, admits it was wrong

8 5905
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Article

This is a significant event regardless of how one looks at it. Most telling is how the statements from senior members of the group speak of what drew members of the group together and what kept them persisting despite their doubts individuals. It speaks of the potency of identity, and how identity can motivate and inspire, as well as distort and subjugate.

• 8 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

It reminds me of that Republican Senator who suddenly became pro-gay when his son stepped out of the closet. At least this shows that there still is hope, and progress is not altogether a mere pipe dream. It's also heartening to see that it was an unanimous vote.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I might have to consider bring this topic backup with my grandmother who thinks people who have been through gay conversion therapy are so much happier.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

I absolutely love this line:

"And it's not just Exodus. It's the church. It's a religious system that has taught us how to be contrary to the heart of Christ, to treat people who are sinners in ways that God himself wouldn't ever treat them."

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

You know what's even more amazing? Strop made a thread in the WEPR.

Feels good, doesn't it?

Anyway, I saw this on Cheezburger first, oddly enough. You know something pivotal in society is happening when even the general Christian and other religious populations wished for institutions like this to be dissolved. We need to forward this to all 580+ Congressman in the US to see how their constituents feel about this, seeing as how we kinda elected them to represent us.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

"Admits it were wrong"
The fact they were misguided enough to believe they were right is proof of their stupidity. Good thing they realized that they were stupid.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

It seems like religious groups are now turning on ex-Exodus members! Lol, love the internal cluster****, they like to foist the blame on whoever can be blamed. It's never them that's erroneous.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

You know what's even more amazing? Strop made a thread in the WEPR.

Feels good, doesn't it?

What's so special about this D: I post whenever I see something worthwhile.

Which I guess kind of goes to say how often I consider something being worthwhile.
Getoffmydangle
Getoffmydangle
152 posts
Blacksmith

I am really happy to hear that Exodus has quit the business. I did a research paper and presentation a few years back about these "conversion therapies" and other efforts to change sexual orientation. It was astonishing how definitive all of the research on these treatments was. Every single methodologically valid empirical study showed that there was either zero or very close to zero chance that anyone's sexual orientation can be changed by any means. Even in the studies purporting to support sexual orientation change therapy, those subjects they counted as "successes" all were either celibate or still experiencing "occasional relapses." Guess what? If you are "relapsing," despite all your best efforts, back into gay thoughts and wishes, you are still gay. In fact, most of the people running these sexual orientation change therapies were themselves still in one phase or another of their own treatment program, so not only were they deep in their own personal struggles, but they were heavily personally invested in their therapy program working effectively. Thus even those celibate or "relapsing successes" cannot be considered reliable evidence for those treatments' efficacy. Furthermore, there is plenty of evidence indicating that these treatments have potential to cause harm.
So if you weight out that a) they don't work, and b) they might cause personal harm as well as perpetuate stigma and discrimination against a whole class of people.... They probably shouldn't be a treatment that is offered, especially in a medical/psychological context.

Showing 1-8 of 8