ForumsProgramming Forum[necro] how do you make an online game? does it cost money?

9 12856
knightedwarrior
knightedwarrior
2 posts
Nomad

im wondering how to make an online game for people to be able to play with another person but is it free? and how? does it need a satellite?

• 9 Replies
NoLifeNerds
NoLifeNerds
21 posts
Nomad

Well, I'm not so fancy at making games, especially MMO's, but I have a friend who is.

Most online games are made using Unity, Flash, or sometimes their own software. Take AQWorlds for example, they made their art and animation using nothing but Photoshop and Adobe Flash. As with almost every game, it does cost money to make an online game, mainly because of the hosting. Hosting is the life core of an online game.

This article can explain it much better than me: How to Make Online Games

Or maybe some of the users who probably have made an online game before could explain it better.

Anyways, hope this helps or at least gives you some insight on the subject at hand.

KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

My general advice if you really want to make an online game as your first ever game: Don't. Seriously. The effort involved is simply too large if you don't have any previous experience and will most likely lead to failure.

Not to mention the server maintenance and hosting costs.

natamuka
natamuka
1 posts
Nomad

. Just posting a homepage on a website is not guarantee that customers will even sign in; therefore, cyberspace entrepreneurs need the professional expertise of a reputable web marketing company to implement multimedia efforts to drive visitors to sites and increase sales.http://online-marketing.mix-marketing.net

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

play with another person but is it free

free* being that either there are ads, stuff to buy in-game, limited content. Almost always something costs money especially if you have servers and databases.
rychus
rychus
1,282 posts
Farmer

If you'd want a brewer-based game or text-based game I would get involved with JavaScript.

K261326
K261326
26 posts
Nomad

Developing a Game is not simple, it's complicated and very expensive especially online games. You will spend a lot of cash in creating server and paying your programmers/designers/Quality Assurance.

bigjacob
bigjacob
578 posts
Farmer

does it need a satellite

Why? The internet itself may need one to send it's signal around the world, but do you honestly think an independent game developer would have to pay to send a satellite into space?
rychus
rychus
1,282 posts
Farmer

Its next-gen

mightybob
mightybob
360 posts
Peasant

I'm wondering the same thing. Every piece of code I get to connect to my already existing server seems to have a road block, like: You need to learn XML to connect to the server.

-or-

You need to learn PhP and make some socket thingy!

Help anyone?

Showing 1-9 of 9