ForumsNews and Feedback[Necro] Advertisements are overly exaggerated on AG?

113 66081
jbondguy007
jbondguy007
47 posts
Scribe

Do you think that advertisements are overly exaggerated? "Roll over" adds are so annoying, how are we supposed to play if every time we move our mouse, there's a popping advertisement in your screen? And the adds on the sides of the home page are, how should I say... Inappropriate? I mean, I know you want your game to get all the attention, but here's a tip: You don't necessarily need half nude people on your add to attract gamers. Duh.
Let me know what you guys think about that!

• 113 Replies
meed1
meed1
28 posts
Peasant

I've been a longtime member of armorgames. (Three years)

I usually play games and ignore the community forums. But I decided today to come down here and find out if anyone else was upset about this.

I have a lot to say about recent events.

Multiplayer games themselves are great. I love em! And rollover ads don't bother me.

It's the inappropriate ads I'm angry about. I rarely play here anymore, just because I don't want to see those. And i rarely play here anymore because I don't want anyone around me exposed to those kind of ads.

I really used to like armorgames, but with those kind of ad's hanging around, I decided there are better places to go.

JurassicParkfan
JurassicParkfan
33 posts
Nomad

I agree with what you guys say about the ads. I really don't want my little brothers to walk in and see those ads while i'm playing a game. AG needs to take those down.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Advertising by it's definition is exaggeration. It's about compelling a user to be interested in the product they are touting. Yes, on one hand you can look at that as annoying. On the other paw you can say "Well 99% of the stuff on this website is free, so maybe some ads really aren't a big deal."

JurassicParkfan
JurassicParkfan
33 posts
Nomad

Advertising by it's definition is exaggeration. It's about compelling a user to be interested in the product they are touting. Yes, on one hand you can look at that as annoying. On the other paw you can say "Well 99% of the stuff on this website is free, so maybe some ads really aren't a big deal."

Yes that is true but I don't think a website where little kids might get on it should have ads with half naked woman in them.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

1) The ads could be from your part. Certain ads adhere to sites most frequently visited by one's computer. I'm not the best at explaining it..so hopefully Ferret, or someone else, shall

2) If you see a troubling ad, report it to an admin (preferably Ferret, I'd assume)

meed1
meed1
28 posts
Peasant

Now ignore me if I'm wrong, and I have 0 knowledge in this area. But I'm under the impression that the more site traffic you get the more those advertisers pay you. No one is gonna pay to have their ad on a site where no one goes, correct? So because Armorgames has a fairly large number of players (I can assume) the advertisers pay you a fair bit to advertise on here.

So if your losing people because of the Ads, then that's not just a problem of less people, it's a problem of less money too, isn't it?
meed1
meed1
28 posts
Peasant

1) The ads could be from your part. Certain ads adhere to sites most frequently visited by one's computer. I'm not the best at explaining it

Yes I understand what you mean. Some sites (facebook) keep track of things your interested in, and advertise to your interests.

But the only Ad's I'm seeing out there are ads about Multiplayer games that have inappropriate images in them.

I don't play any multiplayer games on any other sites (may change soon) and I've only played two multiplayer games here on armorgames (both of which I don't play anymore).

The only times these Ad's really appear are on the front page, and sometimes in the background of other pages. They never appear in those neat little boxes.
TerminatorXM214
TerminatorXM214
222 posts
Blacksmith

I am not against advertisements on websites in any way, but on websites like AG that have more than a few younger users, ads such as some of ones here should be removed.
I know there is a rule when you sign up that you have to be 13+, but first of all, many many people never read the terms of agreements. Second, there are a lot of unregistered users. Thus, more than a few people who are under 13. But it's not appropriate for any age, in my opinion, and it will also make people not want to play games here.

So, yeah. I'm sure a bunch more people would come here if you remove them, and I can't see why anyone would not come if you remove them.

@Meed+Jurassic: I normally pull the edge of the screen in, and don't go to the homepage.

jbondguy007
jbondguy007
47 posts
Scribe

So far, most of the users here seem to think that the advertisements ARE exaggerated.

So if your losing people because of the Ads, then that's not just a problem of less people, it's a problem of less money too, isn't it?
This, is exactly my thoughts. Why would Armor Games get paid to... Lose money? As meed1 say, less gamers, less money.
Thus, more than a few people who are under 13. But it's not appropriate for any age, in my opinion, and it will also make people not want to play games here.
Agreed. Nice post by the way.
@meed1:
And rollover ads don't bother me.
Me neither, but more than once I've heard gamers complain about it.
The fact is, to me, IT IS a big deal. Armor Games is my favorite gaming site, but lately, the ads are overwhelming, if you know what I mean. What made me start this thread was this week's home page advertisement. Too much is too much, and the users have spoken.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Too much is too much, and the users have spoken.

A *few user have spoken.

I honestly don't understand how this is such a big of a deal. They aren't in the way..it's just a sliver of advertisement.

If it is the ad itself that bothers you..please refer yourself back to my previous post
meed1
meed1
28 posts
Peasant

@Meed+Jurassic: I normally pull the edge of the screen in, and don't go to the homepage.

Hadn't thought of that. I do avoid the homepage (that is, when I get on here) but I hadn't though of pulling the screen in.

And rollover ads don't bother me.

Me neither, but more than once I've heard gamers complain about it.

I don't want to push my luck here. There's not a good chance Armorgames is going to change Ads, as long as we can get rid of the horrible ones, I'll be content.

I honestly don't understand how this is such a big of a deal. They aren't in the way..it's just a sliver of advertisement.

It's the homepage and background Ads. If you look to the left and right of this thread, you will see a blue backdrop next to the white page. If you go to the homepage, that blue backdrop is changed to inappropriate ads. That is not a sliver of the screen in my opinion, that's almost half the screen.

If it is the ad itself that bothers you..please refer yourself back to my previous post

I know that your first point isn't right. I don't play any of those games, or anything relating to them. Even before I tried them, those Ad's were still there.

I also am unsure about what telling an admin will do. As far as I understand, forum/comment box admins don't control the advertisements, the site owners do. As for telling someone who can do something, that's what this post is about. We're trying to get our opinion out there.
Raynethx
Raynethx
50 posts
Nomad

well thats publicity for how else you think marketing companys are gonna earn there bread & butter it's all about the money i betch you that armour games get some money out of it aswell why else or unless you can hide it that is

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

For those of you concerned about ads, could you take a screenshot of an ad you're talking about? I'd love to see it in conjunction with what you're describing.

I do realize some of our ads maybe PG-13, but the website itself is PG-13. We don't suggest or allow users under the age of 13 to be on our pages. And any ad you see on our site, could easily have been in a PG-13 movie.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

I can't see that fellow. :/

JurassicParkfan
JurassicParkfan
33 posts
Nomad

I can't see that fellow. :/

What can't you see?
Showing 1-15 of 113