ForumsNews and Feedback[Necro] Advertisements are overly exaggerated on AG?

113 66080
jbondguy007
jbondguy007
47 posts
Scribe

Do you think that advertisements are overly exaggerated? "Roll over" adds are so annoying, how are we supposed to play if every time we move our mouse, there's a popping advertisement in your screen? And the adds on the sides of the home page are, how should I say... Inappropriate? I mean, I know you want your game to get all the attention, but here's a tip: You don't necessarily need half nude people on your add to attract gamers. Duh.
Let me know what you guys think about that!

• 113 Replies
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I honestly don't see how the ads here are any worse than what most kids watch on television. I think the whole situation has been blown out of the water.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

[quote=Amarantamin]Good sir, we have a seven-page thread of complaints with examples provided and we were just given the infinite wisdom to post complaints to solve the problem.[/quote]

I think it was suggested to file complaints by providing a screenshot of the offending material. Emphasis again mine:

[quote=Ferret]Let's start here, if something offends you or you feel is inappropriate. Report it to this thread or me directly (Ferret@ArmorGames.com) by taking a screenshot of the ad. We will take it from there. [/quote]

You'd think it was asked for since it would give the keepers something to work with, wouldn't you. I guess it follows you'll then need to be able to deal with the occasional "Sorry, but ArmorGames by their standards doesn't find any harm in this to warrant any action."

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

You'd think it was asked for since it would give the keepers something to work with, wouldn't you. I guess it follows you'll then need to be able to deal with the occasional "Sorry, but ArmorGames by their standards doesn't find any harm in this to warrant any action."

You have to understand their stance on the matter. The administrators rely on the advertisements to pay for the free stuff on the site as well as site maintenance and like. If an ad pops up and it doesn't extraordinarily bad (which is a totally subjective matter), it isn't going to be removed. That's how things work and you need to understand that.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

it doesn't

it isn't*

Sorry about that. :O
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

(What do you folks do about your kids watching TV these days, anyway?)

Like we can control them much other than user settings that are so easy to get around.

Don't foist it upon them, or even worse, cloister them when they're hitting puberty. Start younger, educate younger, let them mature younger.
meed1
meed1
28 posts
Peasant

We do judge a lot of the skins ourselves and have asked partners for adjustments in the past, but the choices are not always clear. We have kids of our own and we all have different opinions on the ads. Community input will be a good variable into our discussions

You just got 7 pages of it :P

I would only guess that any reports will then be judged on their merits, not necessarily lead to any action as such... (wistfully whistling smiley here)

That does indeed worry me.

I honestly don't see how the ads here are any worse than what most kids watch on television. I think the whole situation has been blown out of the water.

Just because TV has it bad, doesn't mean we have to have it bad. People always use the excuse "Ain't any worse then anything else." "Ain't as bad as what he's doing." ect ect. Which is totally untrue. Just because it happens elsewhere doesn't mean we have to do it, or it's an excuse we can do it.

Like we can control them much other than user settings that are so easy to get around.

The right user settings are very very impossible to get around.

Don't foist it upon them, or even worse, cloister them when they're hitting puberty. Start younger, educate younger, let them mature younger.

But really here, I come to play games, not to get parenting advice.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Just because TV has it bad, doesn't mean we have to have it bad. People always use the excuse "Ain't any worse then anything else." "Ain't as bad as what he's doing." ect ect. Which is totally untrue. Just because it happens elsewhere doesn't mean we have to do it, or it's an excuse we can do it.

Read my other post:

You have to understand their stance on the matter. The administrators rely on the advertisements to pay for the free stuff on the site as well as site maintenance and like. If an ad pops up and it isn't extraordinarily bad (which is a totally subjective matter), it isn't going to be removed. That's how things work and you need to understand that.

It isn't about excuses. It's about subjectivity and moneh. $$$
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

[quote=MacII]I would only guess that any reports will then be judged on their merits, not necessarily lead to any action as such... (wistfully whistling smiley here)[/quote]

[quote=meed1]That does indeed worry me.[/quote]

But why, because you'll only have it your way? Let's say you report on a thing and now upon good consideration it's found not something the site keepers want to act on. That's not so inconceivable, is it?

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

The right user settings are very very impossible to get around.

There are ways and means. And kids don't just use home computers.

But really here, I come to play games, not to get parenting advice.

You came here to play games and make a complain about the ads. I come here to post. If you don't like it, don't post, because that'll get me coming like a moth to fire.
meed1
meed1
28 posts
Peasant

Yes I'm aware of the money. But I guess I got the false impression that Armorgames cares about the players more then the ads and money?

But why, because you'll only have it your way? Let's say you report on a thing and now upon good consideration it's found not something the site keepers want to act on. That's not so inconceivable, is it?

But it can go either way.
wflag10
wflag10
1,269 posts
Nomad

Yes I'm aware of the money. But I guess I got the false impression that Armorgames cares about the players more then the ads and money?

AG has to care about both, due to the fact that they have to have money to run this entire website, and keep everything free. Also, that was completely uncalled for. You weren't there in the forums when they hired Ferret for us, when they could have just ignored us and carried on to let the community die.

Good sir, we have a seven-page thread of complaints with examples provided and we were just given the infinite wisdom to post complaints to solve the problem. That carrot sure is dangling close, isn't it?

You have a couple (2-3 I believe) of people complaining, and much more people who don't care about the ads, or are fine with them. Which means you are an minority, and businesses were made to serve the majority no? Those seven pages, they are filled with much more people arguing against it, then people arguing for them to change the ads.
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

[quote=meed1]But it can go either way.[/quote]

That's what I'd been wanting to hear

Wings96
Wings96
5 posts
Nomad

The biggest problem I have with the ads is that they lag up my game

meed1
meed1
28 posts
Peasant

AG has to care about both, due to the fact that they have to have money to run this entire website, and keep everything free. Also, that was completely uncalled for. You weren't there in the forums when they hired Ferret for us, when they could have just ignored us and carried on to let the community die.

I know about their need to keep things free and the cash flow. I'm curious as to why you think I was here, since your from 2012 and I'm from 2010, but I never did go forums, so your probably right. You may think it was uncalled for, but I've seen two replies from staff, and nothing has yet to happen.
wflag10
wflag10
1,269 posts
Nomad

I know about their need to keep things free and the cash flow. I'm curious as to why you think I was here, since your from 2012 and I'm from 2010, but I never did go forums, so your probably right. You may think it was uncalled for, but I've seen two replies from staff, and nothing has yet to happen.

I was making a statement, I meant to provide a example of how AG cares about it's community. Again, we don't have any ads on this section of the site, and we don't make them money but they STILL hired someone to try to fix the inactivity problem just because of a thread on these forums.

You may think it was uncalled for, but I've seen two replies from staff, and nothing has yet to happen.

Notice that Ferret said:

Report it to this thread or me directly (Ferret@ArmorGames.com) by taking a screenshot of the ad. We will take it from there.

I don't see any screenshots in this thread (I find it interesting that there are none by you even through you are basically now the only person arguing against the ads), except that one by jbond all the way back a few pages.

Let me say this again: You are a minority, most people it seems don't care or are fine with the MMO ads, businesses are made to make money by serving the majority, you are a minority. If businesses changed just because a couple of people got angry about something, then our economy would have tanked a long time ago.
Showing 61-75 of 113