ForumsProgramming ForumIs Actionscript worth learning?

4 9522
IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

It seems like everyone from Steve Jobs to some random person on the internet seems convinced that flash is on the way out and HTML 5 is going to lead the way.

I really have no programming experience but I would like to get into web games. I feel like they're some of the best games out there and I think they would fit my style of concentration.

So, will action-script still be a viable option in the next 5-10 years or has it already gone past its used by date?

• 4 Replies
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

AS3 is still used a lot. I don't think AS3 is on its way out at all. I think the world of coding is just becoming more diverse. I took a class on it last winter, so they're still teaching it; and in the class we built fully functioning oscillators. I think it's worth it, but you may be better off learning an iOS-based language or a C variant. It just depends on what you want to do. As for HTML5, it can't do much by itself. It needs something extra to make it work. I don't know much about it, but my friend has an internship where he uses both HTML5 and a few other languages to build websites. He's told me that if he didn't have to, he wouldn't use HTML5.

KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

I feel that it's once again worth pointing out that HTML 5, by itself, won't let you make games because it's not a programming language (it's a markup language that essentially tells the browser how to display a webpage).

In that sense, if you actually want to learn *programming* then you'll have no choice but to choose something else or learn a programming language as well as the HTML 5 syntax. More importantly though, just pick *something* that seems easy and stick with it until you learn the general basics.

Once you learn yourself some programming 101, you can still change languages later. So there's no real need to force yourself down any particular road.

JavaScript's syntax is easier, but it takes a lot more work in the long run.

On the other hand, Unity supports Javascript. And while that's still not something I'd encourage a complete beginner to pick up right away, it's something to work towards.

Otherwise, I don't have much else to add, because the thread has fairly solid advice already.
mightybob
mightybob
360 posts
Peasant

I personally think As2 is worth learning. For one reason, I just think it's fun to do. Another thing is some sites will pay you if you make exclusive games for them, like this one (I think)

If you want to make something really advanced, go for As3. But if you just want to make a fun game, go for As2. I don't recommend As1 for anything, it's just too old, and newer Flash players might not support it.

So yes, Actionscript is worth learning.

Showing 1-3 of 4