ForumsWEPRThe LGBT Community

81 37717
darkblueoc
darkblueoc
31 posts
Nomad

It seems it's no longer taboo for one to be part of this group, and in fact it is becoming popular media. Any thoughts?

• 81 Replies
samy
samy
4,874 posts
Nomad

I happen to go to a school that is perceived to be very white and male-oriented.

Dartmouth?

I know the feeling, although we seem to come to different conclusions on whether or not that stereotype is true. I go to, if I may, a very similar school. And while I am a white, strait, cisgendered male; I have been continually amazed by the ignorance exhibited by the, largely, white, strait, cisgendered male community. Moreover, the patience of the patience the minority groups on campus have with the larger culture is astounding.

Minority groups on my campus are not the most privileged, they're often a bit more vocal than the majority, but I don't think that I, as part of the majority, can, legitimately or justly, claim anything passed that.
chrystalfox
chrystalfox
20 posts
Nomad

Recently a Q and A has been added to LGBT, making it LGBTQA. The Q is for queer, basically anyone who doesn't fit the "normal" heterosexual cis-gendered roles, and A is for allies. Do you think the change was necessary? I understand the Q because there are people (agenders, asexuals) who don't fit in the previous categories. But is the A necessary? I mean, it's all right if there's a legitimate purpose, I'm just having trouble finding it.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

Recently a Q and A has been added to LGBT, making it LGBTQA. The Q is for queer, basically anyone who doesn't fit the "normal" heterosexual cis-gendered roles, and A is for allies. Do you think the change was necessary? I understand the Q because there are people (agenders, asexuals) who don't fit in the previous categories. But is the A necessary? I mean, it's all right if there's a legitimate purpose, I'm just having trouble finding it.

i fail to understand why both are needed... if we lived in a world where being L/G/B/T (not gonna bother typing all of those in case i have to do it multiple times) was 100% ok and normal we wouldnt have this thing called LGBT. from what i know asexuals dont get any hate right? except maybe some not believing they exist.

and if allies is necesairy in this case why not just add an A to any kind of movement? it would work no? in fact i think its better to not add the A because having supporters that are outside of your group is much more effective.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

from what i know asexuals dont get any hate right?

Among other religious groups, the Catholic Church requires the people it marries to be open to having children. And some governments give incentives for having kids or penalties for being childless.
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

from what i know asexuals dont get any hate right?

Aside from "corrective rape" and a general dismissal that they were sexually abused as children, none at all...
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

and A is for allies

The a is for asexuals.

And actually.."LGBT" isn't just "LGBTQA" anymore.it's somewhere around 10+ letters...
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

And actually.."LGBT" isn't just "LGBTQA" anymore.it's somewhere around 10+ letters...

It's unfortunate that the most accurate description for the movement is something along the lines of, "Sexual and Gender Identities," which is either SAGI or GASI if you flip them...
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

It's unfortunate that the most accurate description for the movement is something along the lines of, "Sexual and Gender Identities," which is either SAGI or GASI if you flip them...

Unfortunate that it isn't that; far more to the point.

Also..from wiki
Other variants may add a "U" for "unsure"; a "C" for "curious"; an "I" for "intersex"; another "T" for "transsexual" or "transvestite"; another "T", "TS", or "2" for "TwoâSpirit" persons; an "A" or "SA" for "straight allies"; or an "A" for "asexual".[31][32][33][34][35] Some may also add a "P" for &quotansexual" or &quotolyamorous", an "H" for "HIV-affected", and/or an "O" for "other".[24][36]

Didn't know being infected with HIV was a sexuality...
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

Unfortunate that it isn't that; far more to the point.

Yeah, but "Gassy" and "Saggy" don't make for very good acronyms.

Didn't know being infected with HIV was a sexuality...

It's not. LGBT is just becoming synonymous without anything relating to sex/gender.
Riptizoid101
Riptizoid101
6,257 posts
Farmer

It's not. LGBT is just becoming synonymous without anything relating to sex/gender.

"More recently the catch-all term "Gender and Sexual Diversity" GSD has been proposed."

Well it's a darn good thing that they've started to go with a more simplified name instead of LGBTQAUCIT2SAPHO...

It's a mouthful to be politically correct, y'know?
Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

A DOES NOT STAND FOR ALLIES

The A is for asexual and agender.

I personally use the term LGBTQ at all times because I feel like Queer encompasses the other identities such as intersex, questioning, unsure, asexual, pansexual, etc.

Well it's a darn good thing that they've started to go with a more simplified name instead of LGBTQAUCIT2SAPHO...

Please don't say **** like this again.

"More recently the catch-all term "Gender and Sexual Diversity" GSD has been proposed."

The problem with this (more commonly Gender, Sexual (and romantic) Minorities aka GSRM) is that it deliberately includes stuff that... shouldn't be considered a part of the community, such as straight people with kinks, cishet people in general (I guess they're a part of "diversity&quot and other identities I chose to omit from this post because I'm not 100% sure if they are part of the problem and I would hate to distribute misinformation over such a sensitive issue (I don't really care about offending those groups though because they're gross). The problem with GSRM is that it furthers the idea that we are lesser by being minorities.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Please don't say **** like this again.

He was taking it from this:
Other variants may add a "U" for "unsure"; a "C" for "curious"; an "I" for "intersex"; another "T" for "transsexual" or "transvestite"; another "T", "TS", or "2" for "TwoâSpirit" persons; an "A" or "SA" for "straight allies"; or an "A" for "asexual".[31][32][33][34][35] Some may also add a "P" for &quotansexual" or &quotolyamorous", an "H" for "HIV-affected", and/or an "O" for "other".[24][36]

Which I had posted on page 6
Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

My bad, I thought he was mocking the acronym.

chrystalfox
chrystalfox
20 posts
Nomad

I would like to apologize about the "A is for allies", I was under the impression that asexual and agender was included in the Queer category. I've also heard Q standing for questioning (their sexuality/gender). I guess there are multiple ways for it to be interpreted.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

I was under the impression that asexual and agender was included in the Queer category. I've also heard Q standing for questioning (their sexuality/gender). I guess there are multiple ways for it to be interpreted.

Methinks rather someone has been having you on...

A web search may help, try here for instance: glbtq: The Online Encyclopedia of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer Culture. Disclaimer: First time I look at it, no idea about its outlook or affiliation.
Showing 46-60 of 81