ForumsWEPRHolidays changed for the money

33 16187
KnightDeclan
KnightDeclan
478 posts
Nomad

So many holidays (Holy Days) were created with Catholic intentions, but were distorted by modern day society to have no religious meaning, and only used to make money. Christmas, Christ's birth, is the biggest money-making holiday around now. Charlie Brown's Christmas was the last Christmas Special with any religious meaning in it. Halloween, the eve of all saints, had been turned into monsters and candy only. Easter, Christ's rising from the dead, somehow only marks the beginning of spring, involving eggs, candy, and bunnies. "St." Valentines day, somehow became a day of love, even though it's honoring a saint. St. Patrick's day became a day of leprechauns rather than St. Patrick. Thanksgiving became turkey day, and was about harvest, and the thanks to God was removed. The American holidays were always masonic, so they don't count. I'm going away, so I'll address the people saying, "Where in the bible does it say that?" next week.

• 33 Replies
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Well... xD

But in all seriousness, I suppose I can substitute as a "Traditional Catholic" type for a while.

---
The following argument(s) do not reflect my personal ideals or beliefs

@Mage
But how can you argue that Catholics didn't take those beliefs and made them BETTER? Catholics have the potential to make those formerly pagan beliefs because they have the power from God. Pagans didn't have ANY real basis for their knowledge, so Catholics gave them some truth.

I am filling in for another role

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

beliefs because

beliefs better because*
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Good to play devil's advocate at times.

But how can you argue that Catholics didn't take those beliefs and made them BETTER?

In the long run it probably is better. We most likely wouldn't have any of these holidays if it weren't for them being stolen. Though I also have to wonder what state Christianity would be in today if it didn't bother to make itself more attractive to the masses? It's possible that it could have died out long ago or we would have a much more even distribution of religious beliefs today.

Catholics have the potential to make those formerly pagan beliefs because they have the power from God.

But do they have the power of Steve?

Pagans didn't have ANY real basis for their knowledge, so Catholics gave them some truth.

Both are based on faith, as such they have equal basis.

Since we are pointing out how some holidays weren't originally part of Christianity, thought you might like to see what the Bible says about Christmas trees.

Jeremiah 10:2-4 KJV
Thus saith the Lord, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.
For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.
They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.

Also something fun to look up, what's wassailing?
Where does the Yule Log get it's name?
Showing 31-33 of 33