ForumsNews and FeedbackForum Search

10 6077
PJBomega
PJBomega
44 posts
Blacksmith

i think we need a forum search engine. it would help out a lot. instead of posting a question or comment that has already been addressed. we can just search for the topic or issue.

• 10 Replies
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

+1.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

(Funnily btw and sure enough, this suggestion itself seems to be floating up from time to time recently. Which I guess only goes to underline the issue )

chessmaster102
chessmaster102
657 posts
Peasant

Here is a link to a search engine i use for the forums...

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=016859555583575919571:3btb4asrns8

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Here is a link to a search engine i use for the forums...

Indeed, thanks, it gets passed around here.

However it doesn't load for me (must be blocking something, never mind, I can't be bothered to look up what to possibly unblock), and I've tried searching the forums here using an advanced Google search (pretty much the same thing, I reckon), but the results were meager to say the least. If anything, they'll be too unspecific, I guess. (Think of combinations of +keyword +username +sub-forum +possibly refined by date, etc.) In this case, the hits you get are to very generic pages indeed, if I recall.

I guess together with a site search engine, the option (similarly regularly asked for) to browse through one's own and other users' post history would further the same end; and to have the latter searchable as well, then.

I've seen both asked for enough in my short time here that I guess they must be under consideration; or won't be implemented for a reason if they're not

(If I may, can I ask what software this forum runs on? I've looked around but not seen it mentioned, may well have overlooked. Or it may well be some DIY build.)
PJBomega
PJBomega
44 posts
Blacksmith

an integrated search engine would sure and an ease to the mean.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

I've tried searching the forums here using an advanced Google search (pretty much the same thing, I reckon), but the results were meager to say the least.

I should report back I've been getting handier at it, and it seems to sort-of work for my ends.

An integrated engine could surely add a lot more versatility, though. I think for more specific searches (where's that one thread that really already addressed this issue...), Google still won't be your friend. Its inability to sort results chronologically is a great drawback, in any event.
MysterDuck
MysterDuck
102 posts
Jester

Well PJ, that's actually a very very good idea, the best I heard. Why didn't it fell on my mind?

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

[Google's] inability to sort results chronologically is a great drawback, in any event.

Guess what, I've finally turned my attention to the DuckDuckGo search engine. It has its obvious drawbacks, but among its very welcome pluses, it does feature this ability, to sort results chronologically.

Will need to play with it more to see how effective, but, it's very welcome to me. I've often wondered why Google doesn't; I reckon one argument would be that web pages get updated and redated and whatnot so often, that the results will be of minimal value. But so I'll need to see where it leads with DDG.
ninjapretzel
ninjapretzel
3 posts
Nomad

This.
I made a post about submitting games made in Unity a while back, but forgot to check for a response.

Now I can't find where that post went.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

[quote=ninjapretzel]Now I can't find where that post went.[/quote]

Try using that link above, or simply a Google advanced search. Using your username + relevant keywords you can think of (+ this forum only if necessary, using the search code site//armorgames.com/community ), with some luck you'll find what you seek.

But it is a missing feature yes, one will just lose track of some less active/pressing threads, of one's own or of others.

nb

[quote=MacII]I've finally turned my attention to the DuckDuckGo search engine ... it does feature this ability, to sort results chronologically.[/quote]

Actually looks like the code for it is simply sort:date. Have I been missing this for the past twenty years or so? Doh.

I'm not sure of the syntax yet, I find suggestions to use sort=date instead; nor of how it is to reverse date order. Any comments welcome, and other than that I guess I'll just be playing along with it as I go along. Results probably of limited value on a web search anyway, for the reasons mentioned.

Showing 1-10 of 10