ForumsArt, Music, and WritingWhen We Were Young

45 35727
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

When we were young, the laws did not apply to us. When we were young, we made the rules. When we were young, the world was exciting. When we were young, we ruled the world. When we were young, the world was perfect. When we were young, we were the world.

When We Were Young is a ten-part series looking into how eighters are so much better than everyone else, better than niners, tenners, eleveners, twelvers, and every teener to come who think their time on Armor Games was the most important. (Hint: You're wrong.) The story unfolds in an extremely biased but undeniably true albeit poorly researched narrative filtered through rosy lenses across the span of the golden year and the unnotable years that followed. By referencing specific moments from Armor Games Forum history without referring to specific usernames, it filters out the eighters from the haters, because if you don't know, you're just not cool enough to know and if you do and you're not an eighter, you're just a poser.

Face the truth on some random day at some random hour, starting some day after today.

• 45 Replies
Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

Part V. Jan10 - Jun10: The First Dark Age
Nobody likes this time period. Practically lawless with drama everywhere! And everyone was complaining about everything they weren't complaining as much about before. It really just flows in from Part IV. This place was so annoying. Seriously.

I thought that troll was the most interesting thing to happen to AG as opposed to latter part of '09. He was fun to watch.
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

I demand my semi-veteran privilege!

I'm not disputing the veteran status of niners and tenners. It's just that eighters are so much better.

I thought that troll was the most interesting thing to happen to AG as opposed to latter part of '09. He was fun to watch.

I hope he was a troll. The alternative is that such a conceited manipulative victim-player actually exists and believes his own words.

Is it bad that everyone here has over 1000 posts?
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

This thread's not about you, poser.

But it is true. Everything has gone downhill since I have been here.
See what I mean about treating us like equals?

You guys are all cooler. You shaped this place from the beginning. No one else has anything that comes close to that.
Is it bad that everyone here has over 1000 posts?

Now that the Forum Games section counts as posts post count doesn't mean a thing.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

Isn't it incredibly convenient that AG's history fell into six-month allotments? Funny how that worked out.

I should make a thread for 9rs...

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Question is..does the status of "eighter, niner, etc." go with when you joined, or activity in the forums?

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

Question is..does the status of "eighter, niner, etc." go with when you joined, or activity in the forums?
No.

What? You'd make something that's just a pale imitation of the 8r thread that nonetheless falsely attempts self-validate? Wait, that sounds just about perfect. Carry on.

As for the Tao, soon enough.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

No.

Actually I believe the answer is applesauce. But by being a twelver my opinion is disregarded. I take it as it comes.

Now I must worship.
MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

Part V. Jan10 - Jun10: The First Dark Age
Nobody likes this time period. Practically lawless with drama everywhere! And everyone was complaining about everything they weren't complaining as much about before. It really just flows in from Part IV. This place was so annoying. Seriously.

*cough* Feb '10 *cough* It wasn't that bad D: I mean. Being sheltered in the AMW there wasn't much drama here. Was there?

Part VII. Jan11 - Jun11 Prankenstein's Monster
Fire a mod? Fire Devoidless! Everybody party time! Most epic mod prank ever. Basically a the continuation of the New Age. Otherwise, it was pretty meh and where a lot of the current regulars got a start, so yeah, it was definitely really meh.

I really do love that you think so highly of this place, Gantic. I can feel the enthusiam seeping from your blue text.

Left in '12 for like a year so I got to miss all that other (cool)

Part E. Jan13 - Jun13 It's really really lame.
Title says it all. It's just people complaining about the same stuff all over again. The only good thing is people don't complain to mods anymore about how they lost points when they weren't spamming (when they totally were). They just complain about the loss of all the Armor Points they spammed to earn. And Quests. Lots of complaining about Quests.

Hey now. I only whined for about two weeks. Eternally stuck right below gold queen, what a drag.

Part Z. Jun13 - Dec13 The Third Dark age?
Pay features! Pay to post! Pay to earn quests! Pay to play! All pay games! Nothing but grindfest MMOs! Log only allows Facebook! People complaining about how no one is talking about them or even paying attention to them because they're the most important thing on this site because they're mommy told them they were special.

Well this is seeing 5 months into the future, and I don't exactly trust your glowing orb. At least I hope it wouldn't be this way.

And come on '10 was three whole years ago I should at least be honorary vet since '8 and '9 seem to be the requirements to be a vet. > > Is anyone even around from '10...
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

But it is true. Everything has gone downhill since I have been here.

False. Everything has been downhill after Carlie became less active. You can pick any point on the line and it will be downhill after. Claiming you point is more special than others is like claiming you're the reason the global population keeps increasing.

It's a little late/early to start riding the Jim Harbaugh train.

Yes.

[quote]No.

Actually I believe the answer is applesauce.[/quote]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/blackcairn/AG/fightingoverapplesauce.gif
fightingoverapplesauce.gif

*cough* Feb '10 *cough* It wasn't that bad D: I mean. Being sheltered in the AMW there wasn't much drama here. Was there?

What? I'm fairly certain you didn't start posting until April, so yea, February was definitely better even though February was the beginning of the Drama. It's probably you're fault.

I really do love that you think so highly of this place, Gantic. I can feel the enthusiam seeping from your blue text.

I think this counts as irony.

Proof in pixels eighters have done everything first. And this isn't even the second iteration of a wiki. I think it's like the third or fourth. Maybe fifth. And people complained in '08 that there were too many users on the forums in the form of young people and the forums were starting to suck, but all forums suck. This one just sucks a lot more now.

Part one should come out soon if I can get the bias right.
OperationNilo
OperationNilo
3,937 posts
Shepherd

Part one should come out soon if I can get the bias right.

...get the bias right... Sounds interesting.
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

Part I. Jan08 - Jun08: From Zero to Gantic in 30 Weekends

In the beginning, the Forums were small. Half of the forums we see today, did not exist back then. Some were conceived immaculately and others in a messy budding process. This was the beginning of the beginning of the Golden Age of Armor Games. It was the height of admin/mod/user interaction. It was the golden acorn that would grow into the mighty rotting oak we see today. The forums were, in essence, like any close-knit community: pure, perfect, silly awesomeness ever marred by the ubiquitous feckless preteen. (Henceforth, the ubiquitous feckless preteen will be referred to as a "ten year old", although most of them were twelve and most of those were thirteen and some of those were nine.)* More importantly, it was active.

Some of the memorable personalities of the Golden Age didn't exist back then, but some of them did. Some of them were good and some of them were bad. How bad? Drama queen bad. With two! Two drama queens in a short span of six months!^ Back then, good was bad and bad was good, but drama queen bad was always bad bad unless you were bad good, because then you could laugh at bad bad and the good bad who stuck by bad bad. These bad times were the good times. Everyone was pretending and it was cool to pretend to be bad when you were good and ten year olds liked to pretend to be good because anyone could become moderator just like anyone could become president! It was like the difference between pretending you were chaotic without minding the good and pretending you were lawful but ignoring the stupid. Snark was in and Stupid was out. And it was glorious.

But Gantic! You didn't even have an account back then! How do you know all this? Are you a poser? Every. One's. A. Poser. Get with the program! Were you there when Hitler took over Europe? or when Obama became president? No? Then stop talking about World War II and 2008 like you know what you're talking about!

In the beginning of the glory days, were glorious ideas and glorious systems that mostly disappeared by the time of Gantic. Philosophical giants, some you've never heard of, sparred in the WEPR forum, dwarfing the ten year olds who argued endlessly and pointlessly about Christianity, evolution, Christianity, homosexuality, Christianity, Obama, global warming, Christianity, communism, and the 2012 Mayan apocalypse that nobody ever believed would happen but it was worth creating a thread over to tell other people how you believe it won't happen and to ask if other people thought it would happen even though nobody believed it would. The giants set up The Great Debate, an arena like the Coliseum for such ten year olds to, perhaps, learn better arguments than 'nuh uh', 'Jesus', and 'says you'. This would go on for a year more, but the giants quieted down with time when other things came to greater importance.

Ten year olds are why we can't have nice things.

There was a chat for Armor Games. It could not be managed and that disappeared more quickly than the moderator with the shortest tenure ever. (Not because he was a bad mod, but life gets in the way as it does with all mods, especially the ones you haven't seen in over a month or twenty. Also, it was because he was French.) There were Armor Points for referrals. And that lasted longer, but it was disabled by the time I created an account (and completely removed shortly after) because of one ten year old who decided to create multiple accounts for a piddly 200 AP. (Referrals were worth 2 AP each.) Merit-worthy comment nomination was a thing! But that didn't last too long either with every ten year old nominating one another using the same "you scratch my back I scratch yours" system politicians use. And SHOPS! The Spammer and Hacker Organization Prevention Society! Admin approved, user run, and 100% bad idea. It was like putting a five year old in charge of a cookie jar, except these were ten year olds in charge of other ten year olds, basically like the inside of a maximum security prison.^^

But Gantic! All you're doing is complaining about ten year olds! What's so great about that? Oh, the amount of care they had! They had far-reaching dreams of having the most AP, being the most popular user, becoming a moderator, earning the most merits! And it was delicious! Why? Well, blind conceit and sense of entitlement is tastier than the best rib eye you've ever had. (Okay, maybe not the best rib-eye, but definitely better than the second best!) Also, there were cool people that drowned out the annoying stuff.

Cool people? What cool people? Well, only the best Community Manager ever!** And some of the most loved mods, users, and trollish users ever! And more were to come in the second half of eighters! And by ever, I mean ever! I can't name one niner, tenner, elevener, or twelver even worthy of such honor. Admins and all seven of the moderators were actually active on the forums! And they helped shape the progenitors of the most memorable threads of the AMW that would last through 2009. Heck, the AMW was cool and fun instead of weird and emo. 2009 was essentially the tail end of the Golden Age, but that is a story of a later time.

Also, the forums displayed which users were active within the last five minutes at the bottom of the forum, but that wasn't really important unless you were into stalking Carlie.***

All this at less than one hundred thousand users and it was only about to get badder and better.

_____
Addendum
*A few of them were actually eight.

^According to statistics, Salvidian is likely to cause drama that will go down in Jun13 - Dec13. There's just something about 'opular' male users under the age of 18 that start with a capital 'S' that screams 'switch on the drama queen train!' This means he's going to slip up and the mods will expose his fraud with the evidence they've already gathered, but he will try to garner all the attention he can and try to turn the community against the moderators.

^^Snitches get stitches. I don't have official statistics of stabbings or killings, but there are a lot of threats on record and seeing as we haven't heard from any of these users, I think we can safely assume that it happened and the victims found themselves in the hellish afterlife called Kongregate. I think that's what happens. You die on Armor Games and get sent to Kongregate.

**She wasn't Community Manager until around June.

***Or Asherlee, but it's kind of hard to stalk someone who's never around. Also, it's not cool to stalk people.

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

And come on '10 was three whole years ago I should at least be honorary vet since '8 and '9 seem to be the requirements to be a vet. > > Is anyone even around from '10..

We're not vets. We're just... weird.

silly awesomeness

I have always felt, for practically the entire time I've been here, that AG often takes things way too seriously. I look forward to reading your next installment in hopes of being regaled with tales of silly awesomeness.

*Edit: sorry, I forgot I was supposed to be lurking.
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Defend Sal. Lol. It isn't worth my time defending him.

I love how Gantic does a good job of mentioning things but also does a good job of saying some parts in a way that only if you were here in 08 would you get it and who the person is. Luckily WoM helps a bit.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

does a good job of saying some parts in a way that only if you were here in 08 would you get it and who the person is.

... or if you lurked harder
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

I have always felt, for practically the entire time I've been here, that AG often takes things way too seriously.

I'm probably going to end up rewriting this as I'm using up some of my material:

That's because you're a tenner. There was a shift in the community between '09 and '10 when the multiplayer games like Colony (~8/09) came out. We had to make everything unfun because we basically had no community manager and a lot of the new users were jerks who couldn't follow a DBAD rule (don't be a "jerk&quot, so it was practically impossible to get things done the way they had been done throughout most of '09. And then it got even more unfun, so yeah. Also, you had like Cenere and Gantic as the two active moderators,* so it was already humorless, super serious army of two against a bunch of jerks most you guys probably never heard of since most of you don't leave the lower parts of the Forums, unless you played Colony and Exit Path.

*Asherlee was sort of around and Strop, Zophia, and NoNameC68 were kind of around, but it was mostly me and Cenere.

in a way that only if you were here in 08 would you get it and who the person is.

There are a few users you wouldn't be able to name if you weren't here in '08 because no one talks about them.

Part II will probably be the largest section. There are quite a few things to cover like bogans, contests, stories, clubs, ZSC (Zombie Survival Club and Zophia-Strop-Cenere but I think that art trio didn't come to prominence until much later), a bunch of other AMW stuff and Tavern Stuff (renders, signatures, Armor Games wiki, Armor Games newspaper, lots of stories set in Armor Games, George the Duck, Rawr the Dinosaur, how it was really unfair to have Zophia enter art contests, jokes about how Strop never judging on time, Kongregate migration because you can't spam for points on Armor Games and Kong has a chat), WEPR megathreads (about Christianity, evolution, Christianity, homosexuality, Christianity, Obama, global warming, Christianity, communism, and the 2012 Mayan apocalypse). A lot of this flows into '09. This was when it was really fun. You do start to lose some of the early eighters at and by this point though, especially several of the mods.
Showing 16-30 of 45