ForumsThe TavernSo, what do you do?

13 3067
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Hey guys.
In the interest of talking interests, I thought we might discuss the nature of our various modes of employment.

I'm currently about halfway through a summer internship working for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association (NOAA). I'm researching the potential of utilizing aquaculture (basically indoor fish farming) for use in food production in outer space structures. Fish are a very effecient source of food (compared to terrestrial mammals), and are used to living in "weightless" environments, what with the water and all.

Basically, NOAA flew my up to the International Space Station, where they have a small aquaculture system set up. Due to the whole 0-grav situation, they don't even use a tank to hold the water, but just let it float in the center of the room in a giant sphere full of fish. Its my job to try to train the fish not to swim out of the water bubble, and to find out what kinds of fish respond most quickly to training.

I do this by bopping the fish on the nose with a stick when they get too near the edge of the bubble. So far the tilapia are learning pretty quick, but the sturgeon are just dumb as bricks.

So what are ya'lls up to, money generation-wise?

• 13 Replies
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

So far the tilapia are learning pretty quick,

That is because the tilapia knows its place, and that place is in my belly.

Well what have I been up to? Finished high school so I will be heading off to college in less than a month. I will be going to Purdue and will be majoring in Computer Science. As for what track of CS I am not 100% sure. The ones I am looking at though right now are Security and Graphics. I might change my mind though.

Basically I have been getting ready for college and planning my trip to New Mexico to visit friends. The Purdue website has a horrible user interface so while my mom and I are pretty sure that the information we are looking for is on there, it is always a hastle to find. I have been shopping for dorm stuff and hanging with friends too. Looking at some Linux so I have a base to go off of when I start.

Overall, my life has been busy but pretty boring. Maybe it will be more interesting in college.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

I'm currently about halfway through a summer internship working for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association (NOAA).

Who'd you have to kill to get that job?

Now for the inevitible question of where you go to school and what your major is.

As for me, I'm currently unemployed. Dad kicked me out, so I had to quit my awesome job at a car wash (9 an hour!) when I moved in with my mom. About to enter my senior year of highschool, so theres that. All set to go to The Citadel for college, and I'm going to double major in Chemistry and Biochemistry.

Provided I live till next May, of course.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Making some killer burgers at White Castles, cooking up some explosively delicious fries at White Castles, laughing at the drunk people in my drive thru at White Castle, charming the people ordering inside at White Castle..

I work at White Castle

CalvinKidd137
CalvinKidd137
891 posts
Nomad

I yell at little kids... Just kidding I referee for National Youth Sports, more specifically soccer games, ages 4-13. My usually is the 4-5 year olds, and then at the end of the day I pick up a 12-13 year old game.

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Who'd you have to kill to get that job?

No one... the closest thing to a violent job I've ever had was working as a shark combat technician. I was working for an organization that was trying to find a non-lethal (to the shark) method of fending off shark attacks. Basically, they strapped cut up fish to my body and dumped me in a shark tank, where I employed various aquatic self-defense techniques,

Bopping them on the nose with a medium to large stick was the most effective method.

Now for the inevitible question of where you go to school and what your major is.

I'm majoring in art-history at the Rhode Island School of Design, with a minor in culinary arts.
HopeRidesAlone
HopeRidesAlone
17 posts
Nomad

I'm an third year electrical apprentice!

Hopefully in two or three years time I will be a full fledged electrician

I work in wood frame residential, so townhomes and apartment buildings that are under four stories :P I enjoy it! I make $16 an hour. Not that great but better than some people my age. I'm 21.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Basically, they strapped cut up fish to my body and dumped me in a shark tank, where I employed various aquatic self-defense techniques,

All suited up in kevlar or chainmail I hope? :P

I'm majoring in art-history at the Rhode Island School of Design, with a minor in culinary arts.

I mean no offense, but, how did you get from this to an internship at the NOAA?
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

I mean no offense, but, how did you get from this to an internship at the NOAA?

Well, I'm specializing in seafood.

I also have some background in research. Last summer I researched countermeasures against invasion by domestic robotic entities. Its thought that with recent technological advances, future ecological invasions won't be foreign introduced species, but rather escaped gadgets that are capable of self replicating.

In order to be prepared for this future of invasive automatons, I worked with a group at my college that developed such devices, and then tried to destroy them in an efficient manner. We tried things ranging from breeding fish that periodically produced a low level EMP to creating hunter-seeker robots that would find the invasive bots and infect them with a fatal virus.

In the end, however, I found it was most effect to bop the robots on the diode with a medium-small stick.
HopeRidesAlone
HopeRidesAlone
17 posts
Nomad

Well, I'm specializing in seafood.

I also have some background in research. Last summer I researched countermeasures against invasion by domestic robotic entities. Its thought that with recent technological advances, future ecological invasions won't be foreign introduced species, but rather escaped gadgets that are capable of self replicating.

In order to be prepared for this future of invasive automatons, I worked with a group at my college that developed such devices, and then tried to destroy them in an efficient manner. We tried things ranging from breeding fish that periodically produced a low level EMP to creating hunter-seeker robots that would find the invasive bots and infect them with a fatal virus.

In the end, however, I found it was most effect to bop the robots on the diode with a medium-small stick.

Thank goodness. Invasive automatons are my seventh least favourite thing. Right before dented canned goods and right after having to dust things I never use but like to display on shelves.
xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

Employment.
I have about the same job as Patrick Star...

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Time to come clean.

I originally intended this to be somewhat of a joke-thread, where we would pretend to have much more awesome jobs than we do in reality. But, moved by the honesty shown here by other users, I have decided to drop the charade.

I don't do anything so exciting or prestigious as training fish in outer space or saving the world from sharks and robots. No. Sadly, I am just your average, run-of-the-mill matador. Just a mere fighter of bulls, surrounded by cheering fans and swooning lasses. I know. I am so sorry for putting on airs and trying to be something I am not. I apologize to anyone who was deceived and thought I was awesome. I'm truly a terribull person.

Basically, all I do is dodge rampaging bulls all day. Pretty mundane stuff. I used to be a traditionalist and stick them with swords as they pass. But I've found that just bopping the bulls on the nose with a large stick is equally effective.

If anyone else would like to come clean about what they actually* do, feel free.

*HINT HINT

KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

You forgot to answer the most important thing:

Are the bulls from space?

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

So instead of bopping sharks with a stick, you are bopping bulls with one? Boooorrrriiiinnnnggg

If anyone else would like to come clean about what they actually* do, feel free.

You caught me. I don't work at White Castle..I work at McDonald's.

The shame is unbearable
Showing 1-13 of 13