ForumsThe TavernMath! Science! O MY!

21 5208
daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

That is right folks. Your friendly math and science thread is back!

For those of you that were not around when a version of this thread existed you might be wondering what in math and science is allowed here. Well anything, as long as it follows AG's rules. Got a theory that you want to put out there, (ya I am looking at you Mino) Go For It! Just found something interesting that you want to share? We will let you do that too.

Anything math and science goes! So get those brains thinking and searching and let's maybe learn something!

• 21 Replies
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Don't forget entertainment..we humans do need entertainment

(note: Babies have died from what can simply be described as "being bored of the world&quot

Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

That is because in the English language 4 is the only number that has the same amount of letters as what it stands for.

It does have four letters doesn't it? Odd. I noticed that when I was 5. It kinda bugged me.

Don't forget entertainment..we humans do need entertainment

(note: Babies have died from what can simply be described as "being bored of the world&quot

People don't need entertainment. They need things to do. You can give babies brain exercises. This gives us not only a smarter population but babies not dying from boredom. Less baby toys, more math.

Do you think it would be possible for humans to live on solely those four elements, given that those elements were manipulated in favor of a human's life?

Yes and no. No, meaning that people have been exposed to different elements, becoming dependent on them. A immediate change would result in the death of every human being on the planet. Yes, where as people can evolve into being dependent only on these elements with the decrease of the other elements. However (and I am using America as an example because it is the country I live in) if you lived in a country like America people would have to vote on such a thing seeing as a idea this monumental could only be achieved through government and citizens giving governmental approval for such a task. This is an example ignoring technicalities such as money, vote revoking, etc.

But, post it. Be brave Mino!

What if someone steals one of my life's greatest possible finds...
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

People don't need entertainment. They need things to do. You can give babies brain exercises. This gives us not only a smarter population but babies not dying from boredom. Less baby toys, more math.

Whoops..knew I was messing something up.

It isn't entertainment..it is touch. Babies have died from a lack of touch.

Lack of Touch leads to babies' Failure to Thrive

Role of Mother's touch in Failure to Thrive: a study

Primacy of human touch

Oh yes...and companionship..we don't do so well without it.
Graham
Graham
8,051 posts
Nomad

Humans need carbon, hydrogen, oxygen and nitrogen to survive. These being elements, they can't be artificially created. But just about everything else can be created. Do you think it would be possible for humans to live on solely those four elements, given that those elements were manipulated in favor of a human's life?

The 2% of "other stuff" is still important. Humans need trace amounts of molybdenum for their cells to metabolise correctly.

All the food you inhale is converted into energy by making and breaking phosphate bonds connected to relatively large hydrocarbon called adenosine; you need phosphorous or you die.

Calcium: Bones.

I beg to differ on the question of artificially creating elements. How else do you think nuclear power plants work? Humans have created every element above Uranium. Shoot some neutrons into Nitrogen, make it radioactive, and it becomes Carbon-14 by a decay. The only reason we don't do this is because it doesn't benefit us in any way; this happens all the time everywhere.

If the conjecture of this hypothetical situation is the manipulation of elements, everything can be created and would look nothing different as it is now. The creator would just have some sort of god-complex, eventually going mad with power.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

Another moon was discovered around Neptune a few weeks ago. It's neat that we're still learning things about our own cosmic speck.

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

Something interesting.... If you really want to blow your mind, check out the Double Slit experiment.

The video over simplifies things a bit, but more in-depth sources (uhh, well, Wikipedia) claim that:

The first [delayed-choice experiment] demonstrates that extracting "which path" information after a particle passes through the slits can seem to retroactively alter its previous behavior at the slits.
Showing 16-21 of 21