Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

National Football League

Posted Sep 16, '13 at 11:54pm

Nurvana

Nurvana

2,601 posts

Seahawks win at home, is that really surprising?

Yes to me it was. The Seahawks are contenders but the 49ers came in as clear Super Bowl favorites.

Posted Sep 17, '13 at 11:34pm

superbobdabest

superbobdabest

307 posts

What do you guys think about the running game this year. I think Charles will be the leading rusher.

Posted Sep 18, '13 at 11:17am

daleks

daleks

3,803 posts

The Seahawks are contenders but the 49ers came in as clear Super Bowl favorites.

Seahawks have the best home field advantage. Loudest open air stadium, most false starts happen in Quest Field. It is a big advantage. Plus, Seattle smoked the 49ers there last year. Not much has changed. The real battle will be Week 14.

Posted Sep 18, '13 at 12:33pm

Nurvana

Nurvana

2,601 posts

The real battle will be Week 14.

Browns return to Kansas City. Dubbed, "Reckoning Day".

Posted Sep 20, '13 at 3:46pm

xeano321

xeano321

3,127 posts

Knight

Okay guys, time for some outside input from you on some thoughts I had.

Did the 49ers trade Alex Smith too soon?

I watched the Seahawks-niners' game last Sunday, and it was brutal. Kaepernick was stifled, that "explosive offense" was nothing but a big blubbering mass of mistakes, penalties, and a gameplan that was a total failure, which they failed to address during half-time.

I read up on Kaepernick a little bit, back to his college-highschool days, and his habit whenever he was pressured was to run out of the pocket. This gameplay, along with the read option, worked to perfection last year, as he took the niners' to their first Super Bowl in around 20 years.

After last Sunday, I noticed that the Seahawks had completely shut down all aspects of the running game. This forced Kaepernick to throw, and his erratic passing game became ever present. He was forced to stay in the pocket and pass, and that changed his gameplan. He was forced to be a pocket QB. His runs achieved very little, and were immediately quelled.

Could trading Smith have been the biggest mistake of the offseason? Is the lacking of the pass first, run second QB starting to show in San Francisco? I know it's only the second week of the season, but if defensive coordinators take a good look at that Seahawks game, it reveals Kaepernicks biggest weakness. He collapses under pressure and tries to run, if he can't run, he is forced to pass, and the possibility for mistake is at its highest.

I believe it will either be this, or the fact that Kaepernick is at an extremely high risk of season ending injury by leaving the pocket, and Colt McCoy is not a suitable replacement.

Posted Sep 20, '13 at 3:55pm

Nurvana

Nurvana

2,601 posts

I think it was a good move to trade him. It was a rough game for Kap but those happen; they're unavoidable. Just as a team can gameplan on defense to stop him, the niners can gameplan on offense to work around it. A team can't beat the niners consistently by keying on Kap because the niners have enough talent to work around it; especially since they have a tough, premier back in Frank Gore. So I think all it will take is a little more balancing of the offense by the niners, and just wait until the opposing defense spreads itself out again so Kap can continue making plays. Honestly, this was probably a good thing for the niners, a learning experience if you will.

Not to mention the fact that while the Chiefs may be 3-0, Alex Smith isn't necessarily lighting the world on fire. He reminds me a bit of Tommy Rees; he's solid, and a good QB, but when it's crunch time you can always count on him to make a crucial mistake.

Posted Sep 22, '13 at 2:08pm

xeano321

xeano321

3,127 posts

Knight

It was a rough game for Kap but those happen; they're unavoidable.

But it exposed his biggest weakness. If I were a defensive coordinator, I would definitely pay some close attention to that game.

Just as a team can gameplan on defense to stop him, the niners can gameplan on offense to work around it.

Kaepernick is inexperienced. A heavy passing game would have to constructed, but he couldn't handle it. That's not his style of play. It would be forcing him to play a different style. The read option is going out, and unless you have a good passing QB, you will go out too.

A team can't beat the niners consistently by keying on Kap because the niners have enough talent to work around it; especially since they have a tough, premier back in Frank Gore

Well, Gore is in the backfield the same as Kaepernick, so he wouldn't have a chance to get going either. And on top of that, they have only two receiving threats in Vernon Davis and Boldin. (Crabtree is out.) So I doubt if it would be extremely difficult for a defense to be tailored to cover most of these without seriously exposing any weakness.

Not to mention the fact that while the Chiefs may be 3-0, Alex Smith isn't necessarily lighting the world on fire. He reminds me a bit of Tommy Rees; he's solid, and a good QB, but when it's crunch time you can always count on him to make a crucial mistake.

He is good. Consistent, stays fairly cool in the pocket, makes good decisions... As for play in the clutch, take a look at this. (two years ago in the divisional playoffs.) Personally, I think in the long run he was the better investment. Don't be surprised if the Chiefs challenge the Broncos for control of the division.

Posted Sep 22, '13 at 8:38pm

Nurvana

Nurvana

2,601 posts

but he couldn't handle it.

You act as if a player signs up for a style of play before the season and is forced to follow a script while they're playing. It's not like there are instances in NFL history where a player went ham for a season then faded into obscurity because a defense "figured him out". Every Jeremy Lin-like situation you observe in professional sports is simply due to that player catching lightning in a bottle, and I think we can all agree that isn't the case for Kaep, even if he did play for Nevada.

Well, Gore is in the backfield the same as Kaepernick, so he wouldn't have a chance to get going either.

Stopping the run isn't nearly the same as stopping the QB, even if they are in the backfield together. Unless you're suggesting that the way to stop Kaep as a mobile quarterback is to just load the box? Because in that case, any QB in the league can pick apart one-on-one, no help defense if that's all he sees during a game. The Seahawks beat Kaep by playing solid defense in the back four, getting a strong rush up front, and preventing big plays. In that case, if a defensive coordinator were to use that as a sort of "blueprint" to beat Kaep or a mobile quarterback, then it would be rather easy to use a running back in a screen/draw strategy to counter that defense.

they have only two receiving threats in Vernon Davis and Boldin.

That's a premier TE and WR. Team's don't normally look or ask for more than that. You don't have to have three Calvin Johnsons on your team to be considered having a good receiving corps. And further, in regards to coverage used against them, it's not like they're the only two bodies the niners will be trotting out there for plays. Good receivers don't just make plays, they get others open.

I'm not in any way defending Kaep though; I'm not a niners fan, and they got creamed again today anyway. But this is the NFL, not college. No week will be Ohio against FAMU, and it's hard trying to stop an explosive, creative player coached by the best.

Posted Sep 23, '13 at 12:49am

xeano321

xeano321

3,127 posts

Knight

Unless you're suggesting that the way to stop Kaep as a mobile quarterback is to just load the box?

Heck no. That would be stupid. My point was more of the fact that, if the defense on a particular play were keyed to watch Kaep, then seeing that Gore had the ball, it would be fairly easy to stop him with minimal gain for the most part, since they are already watching the backfield.

You act as if a player signs up for a style of play before the season and is forced to follow a script while they're playing.

Every player has a style of play that is suited to him particularly. For example, you cannot take Kaepernick and make him play like Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. These are two different styles, and if the defense were to force him to pass only, you could see some mistakes occurring.

if a defensive coordinator were to use that as a sort of "blueprint" to beat Kaep or a mobile quarterback, then it would be rather easy to use a running back in a screen/draw strategy to counter that defense.

That's not my point. Using such a defense in pass-only situations (E.G. 3rd and long) would cut the available options down considerably. The defense would however, need fast CBs and Safeties to cut down on receiving options, while allowing for say a linebacker or two to spy the QB while the line is pressing. I would say such a gameplan would be effective. On normal downs, you play normal 4-3, dime, nickel, but tell your guys to make sure that the mobile QBs don't have that run option. It's possible IMO. You just couldn't call it all game, that would be stupid. Take a look at these highlights from today. Seems the Colts ran something close to my defensive scheme. (I just need to draw up some plays.) You can clearly see Kaep does not operate under pressure when he cannot run. He was a flash last year, and (I'm calling this early I know) the niners' are going downhill this year. Seahawks get the division, and the Rams-Cardinals are out for the wildcard.

That's a premier TE and WR. Team's don't normally look or ask for more than that.

You're forgetting, Boldin is getting older. He gets tired quicker, he has a harder time beating those fast corners, his reaction time is lowered, and on top of that, he isn't able to consistently make big plays over and over.

s not like they're the only two bodies the niners will be trotting out there for plays.

No, but it makes it difficult on 3rd downs when your go-to guy is covered, and you have to go to the less reliable options. Saw quite a few dropped passes the past couple weeks. Losing Crabtree is killing them, mostly because then went from having multiple threats, which makes it harder for defense to heavily cover them all, to having only two. It's taking its toll, no joke.

it's hard trying to stop an explosive, creative player coached by the best.

Colts did a great job today, and they only have a mediocre defense.

Posted Sep 23, '13 at 10:45pm

Nurvana

Nurvana

2,601 posts

it would be fairly easy to stop him with minimal gain for the most part, since they are already watching the backfield.

I understand what you mean, but my point about changing your scheme sort of applies here; having a "Let's just watch the backfield and defend who comes out" on defense makes you susceptible to the play action pass. I understand that that's an example tailored to my point, but it's still a defense that can be countered.

you cannot take Kaepernick and make him play like Peyton Manning or Tom Brady

I agree but like I said Kaepernick is playing in the NFL for a reason. In theory, a defense that dedicates themselves to stopping him as a mobile quarterback will be susceptible to the pass. Not to mention the fact that a player is always capable of changing their style of playing, especially when they're playing at the highest level. Michael Vick, for example, has been able to increase his passing efficiency since joining the Eagles; and while he is a turnover machine it has gone a long way towards making him a threat through the air as well as on the ground.

linebacker or two to spy the QB while the line is pressing.

That's a good assessment of a defense built to stop a mobile QB, but I have to throw in that a single roaming LB can't stop a truly fast QB running off tackle; and having two is just impractical and hurts the coverage game.

You're forgetting, Boldin is getting older. He gets tired quicker, he has a harder time beating those fast corners, his reaction time is lowered, and on top of that, he isn't able to consistently make big plays over and over.

I think this part of the discussion is sort of a moot point in context to the topic. Different teams have different taste in WR, and really unless your corps are either horrible or elite it doesn't do much to affect the output of a mobile quarterback.

Colts did a great job today, and they only have a mediocre defense.

Yes the niners are doing a fantastic job of invalidating me. Kaep right now's got more interceptions than touchdowns, but he's on pace for over 600 yards rushing for the year. They have a soft schedule in front of them though; the Saints are really the only team better than the Hawks and the Colts they still have to play. Building a consistent offense is all about adjustment, like I said, so this will be the time for Harbaugh to figure things out and get Kaep's confidence back.

Reply to National Football League

You must be logged in to post a reply!