ForumsThe TavernCollege Football - 2014 Season

64 17566
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

The Coach's Poll is out, which means its the best time of the year... Fall! And with fall comes... College Football!

*thunderous applause*

We're just four weeks away from the opening kick off, and training is in full swing. This year marks the first that post season playoffs will determine a national champion, and the first that the American Athletic Conference (AAC) will show up on the grid iron.

So post your thoughts on how Clemson is going all the way this season. You can talk about the other 119 teams too, if you must.

• 64 Replies
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

[quotes]Anyways, thought's on Jamis Winston and FSU[/quote]

A fantastic first start by a freshman. But I'll be impressed if he can reach a consistency near that level. More so against the quality opponents they play (Miami, Clemson, Florida). But Heismans and Bowls aren't won in September, I think its worth repeating.

Oregon ahead of OSU? What? OSU is better than Oregon I think.

OSU didn't have average scoring drives of ~1:10.
Nurvana
Nurvana
2,523 posts
Farmer

I played against Jameis Winston in high school.

Dude's an entitled brat. He put up some great numbers against a joke of a secondary, and I'll be eager to see how he reacts after their first loss, a la beating at the hands of Clemson.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

Picks for the day:

Miami over Florida
Clemson over SC State
Georgia over South Carolina
Oregon over Virginia
Michigan over Notre Dame

Nurvana
Nurvana
2,523 posts
Farmer

Kick-*** game for Michigan. Quite the emotional roller-coaster from my basement. Really, it was a Devin Gardner bonehead play away from a comfortable win.

I really thought USC had a good chance to win against Georgia. Man, the SEC looks a little down this year, at least compared to the last few.

Florida was overrated last year and they were overrated again this year. Not surprised to see them go down in the last Thug Bowl.

Braxton Miller out; I don't care, Kenny Guiton is NOT a great QB.

P.S. was that hook and lateral to the offensive tackle by Fresno State even legal?

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

That was a vicious hit against Miller; rather surprised that it wasn't a ligament tear or a broken bone.

The new AP poll is out, with Alabama, Oregon, Clemson, Ohio State, and Stanford rounding out the top 5. #15 Texas and #25 SoCal have been dropped, following losses to BYU and Washington, respectively.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

Texas has fired DC Manny Diaz after giving up over 500 yards rushing in last weeks loss to BYU. He will be replaced by Greg Robinson.

Nurvana
Nurvana
2,523 posts
Farmer

Yeah genius move Texas. Hire the guy who was dead last in defense in the Big Ten with Michigan, using the same players Greg Mattison won a Sugar Bowl with the next year.

Texas' recruiting under Mack Brown has reached ultimate futility. Everyone on their roster can run a four flat forty but that doesn't translate to winning football. That's why sound squads like BYU crush them.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

College Gameday Pick (2-0):

Alabama over TAMU

1) Because Saban is 7-1 in Revenge Games at Alabama, with an average margin of victory of 20 points.

2) Because CJ Mosely has said he'll be spying Manziel, which should include much hilarity and decapitating hits.

3) Because Johnny Football. 'Nuff said.

As for the rest of the day:

UCLA (16) over Nebraska (23)
Ole Miss (25) over Texas
USC (13) edges out Vanderbilt

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

In the process of filling out college applications (For TAMU, ironically enough) and have missed all three Alabama touchdowns, Manziel's INT, and caught the tail end of a Manziel sack.

CalvinKidd137
CalvinKidd137
891 posts
Nomad

Will 'bama fall to LSU or Auburn or go undefeated now????

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

The new AP Poll is out, with the top five remaining unchanged from last week: Alabama, Oregon, Clemson, Ohio State, and Stanford. ASU and Texas Tech have broken in, while TCU and Nebraska have fallen out following losses.

Personally: If LSU can't be Alabama, and if Stanford can't beat Oregon, I don't think anyone will. But Auburn? Lol

Nurvana
Nurvana
2,523 posts
Farmer

Y'all I just exhaled for the first time since Saturday.

I've never seen such a pathetic effort from Michigan. Not against Appy State, and the team that lost to Toledo just sucked. But we almost ruined our season there. A loss in every respect except the place it matters; the win column. But I am apprehensive going into this UConn game, especially on the road.

Stanford v Oregon is going to be a good game. Alabama does not look overly strong to me; I think LSU and Georgia might be better. TAMU's defense is gonna keep them from being legitimate contenders, though.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

I think it was more the let down after the ND game then any real problems. Happened to Alabama after the LSU game last year, so you're in good company. But Michigan lost two spots in the polls, so I think that'll serve as sufficient motivation to get back up to par, not to mention the eyes of the entire nation will be on them to see if their near stumble becomes an actual fall.

Alabama looks half-mortal this year compared to teams in years past. But We still don't really know a lot about them: Each side of the ball has had a good showing and a poor showing on the field. Saban is the master of fixing problems in a week, and while Ole Miss does run a spread attack, they really lack the depth to be able to compete with Alabama for four quarters. So LSU is still the best bet to beat Alabama, and if Texas A&M couldn't do it (offensively one of the best teams in the nation, IMO)...

Nurvana
Nurvana
2,523 posts
Farmer

Anybody got any picks for the games tomorrow? Nothing really interesting.

LSU creams the kittens from Auburn, GT over UNC (risky), Florida of UT, Notre Dame over MSU (to the tune of 2-0 on a last second rugby goal), Stanford over ASU, and my Wolverines over UConn. Upset of the week, or not really, I'm looking for Idaho State to hang tough w/Washington. BS finish to the ASU/Wisky game aside, I think the PAC-12 is pretty suspect outside the Ducks and Cardinal.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

College Gameday Pick (3-0):

NDSU over... Whoever they're playing...

All I know is that this is FCS, a d that NDSU is the Alabama of the FCS, and it's easy to pick winners.

LSU over Auburn
GT over UNC
Stanford over ASU
Florida over UT
MSU over ND

And those are all the ones I even remotely care about. This isn't a very good week for football.

Showing 31-45 of 64