ForumsThe TavernCommunity Talk

9 2522
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Welcome to Community Talk.

Community Talk is a super laid-back thread where users present community-related topics and then others discuss their thoughts on the presentation of the topic. Any user can present a topic at any time. Topics might include activity, staff, community events and whatever else that might come to mind. Obviously keep discussion friendly.

This thread isn't mean to be big or life-changing. It's only meant for conversation.

---

Being that I'm the opening poster and no one has presented a topic before me, I'll go first.

Activity threads
Okay, so it's a widely-known fact that I'm the (pretentious) creator of the Pickle thread. We all know that there have been a couple of other threads about activity, such as 's [url=http://armorgames.com/community/thread/11575371/armor-games-community-activity-initiative]AGCAI. I've been pondering whether or not these threads have actually done anything worthwhile. Do you think they have?

• 9 Replies
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

such as 's

such as [url=http://armorgames.com/user/xeano321]xeano's*
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Do you think they have?

I think it changed a little bit. Such as the Forums button and all the other stuff. So its been helpful for awhile.

I actually have a question as well, how well do you think the mods and admins are doing their jobs on ArmorGames? Personally I think they're doing a great job.
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Thank you for the mentioning of my name Sal. =D

Personally, I think such threads do accomplish some stuff. For example, the Pickle threads got us Ferret as CM, and my AGCAI thread changed the Community link to forums, as well as brought about further awareness to the administrators of the community (and it got me a merit as well.)

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

CHAT THREADZ ARE AGAINST TEH ROOLZ GUIZE! *runs to get moderator*

Eh, it's like jumping in an attempt to beat gravity. There might be times when you think you're winning, but the n you come crashing down. A little bit might get done, but the entire effort and energy that goes into bringing about the change leads me to question the effieciency of such a system. If it honestly takes the creation of a massive ghread and tons of community support to bring about an insignificant change, there's a problem with the system, not the user. Only fixing the system will truly solve the problems. Otherwise you're just putting band-aids on a sucking chest wound.

Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

*gets two chair, one for sitting on and the other to rest my feet on* *gets a root beer*
This Sal, is indeed a good idea. And what the Tavern is all about! But lets get serious now. Now, what is physics...? O.o

Lol, I'm just screwing with ya. Or is the axis not necessary for one to be screwed? o.O

Eh, it's like jumping in an attempt to beat gravity. There might be times when you think you're winning, but the n you come crashing down. A little bit might get done, but the entire effort and energy that goes into bringing about the change leads me to question the effieciency of such a system. If it honestly takes the creation of a massive ghread and tons of community support to bring about an insignificant change, there's a problem with the system, not the user. Only fixing the system will truly solve the problems. Otherwise you're just putting band-aids on a sucking chest wound.

That is incredibly profound young one. But how does one fix a system without it stopping? Repairs need to be made on a vehicle, something in motion, when it stops. To stop a system is to bring all the weight it carries crashing down on the structure, and that cannot happen. Unless the gravity of the situation goes in the exact opposite direction.

Thoughts?

Personally, I think such threads do accomplish some stuff. For example, the Pickle threads got us Ferret as CM, and my AGCAI thread changed the Community link to forums, as well as brought about further awareness to the administrators of the community (and it got me a merit as well.)

AGCAI was the one thread I loved on AG more then anything else on AG for it's time. Hopefully more incredible threads like it will appear. I will be watching you xeano. *gets an magnifying glass and looks at you with a big eye*
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

That is incredibly profound young one.

Pretty sure I'm older than you.

... Does that make me sound like an arse?

But how does one fix a system without it stopping? Repairs need to be made on a vehicle, something in motion, when it stops. To stop a system is to bring all the weight it carries crashing down on the structure, and that cannot happen. Unless the gravity of the situation goes in the exact opposite direction.

Because websites fall at 9.8 m/s?

Not really the best analogy to use, so I'm not sure what you're getting at. But honestly, if I had the answer, you think I'd keep it to myself? I'm of the personal opinion that the rise of social media is the death knell for tight-knit communities.

As for AG, it's about the bottom line. The amount of revenue gained from ad views on flash games is exponentially greater than that from the forums. So if you have a finite amount of time, and a finite amount of resources, where will you devote them? To the small but vocal community? Or the silent super majority whose money could speak louder than any words you or I have?
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Why not do it ourselves then?

Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

... Does that make me sound like an arse?

Yes. =p

Because websites fall at 9.8 m/s?

No, possibly something like 9.8 mb/s. *does Sheldon's laugh*

As for AG, it's about the bottom line. The amount of revenue gained from ad views on flash games is exponentially greater than that from the forums.

This is true. But the forums are just so good! They need to keep it! =O

So if you have a finite amount of time, and a finite amount of resources, where will you devote them? To the small but vocal community? Or the silent super majority whose money could speak louder than any words you or I have?

The revenue the admins gain is somewhat undisclosed here, so we can't really say that they are losing money at a alarming rate. Thank God. But I don't think the admins concern is based on money. Armor Games gets enough money from the ads, enough to create stable income.

By increasing the amount of users the site has they will receive more cheddar. Plus with the failed AG3 they need to bring it out in order to make the users more interested and promote activity in private lives and through the internet. I'm living proof of this. I would not have known about Armor Games had one of my friends back at grade school not recommended the games they had. The community is just the cherry on top of the delicious sundae that is AG.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

Yes. =p

Good.

No, possibly something like 9.8 mb/s. *does Sheldon's laugh*

You are trying to out arse me. It's on ... !

This is true. But the forums are just so good! They need to keep it! =O

I did not say they should. Simply that it's about the money. The forums generate ad revenue. Flash game pages generate more ad revenue. Which area would you focus on?

The revenue the admins gain is somewhat undisclosed here, so we can't really say that they are losing money at a alarming rate. Thank God. But I don't think the admins concern is based on money. Armor Games gets enough money from the ads, enough to create stable income.

I never said they were losing money. A sound business plan will center on preserving and improving ghe main source of income. This is ad revenue on flash games. See above paragraph, original post.

By increasing the amount of users the site has they will receive more cheddar. Plus with the failed AG3 they need to bring it out in order to make the users more interested and promote activity in private lives and through the internet. I'm living proof of this. I would not have known about Armor Games had one of my friends back at grade school not recommended the games they had. The community is just the cherry on top of the delicious sundae that is AG.

1) This is a game website. So long as there are games, they will make money. Regardless of how the page the game is on looks.

2) The only people who care about AG are you new users. Not to mention I doubt that the uber majority of users are effected by the "failure" of AG3, seeing as the last holdout in its implication is the forums. Everything else looks new.

And if it were up to me, it would never be implemented. But no one ever takes my advice around here.

3) I'm not wntirely sure how you're relevant to any of this, or what point you're trying to make. Perhaps a freudian slip revealing a tad bit of narcissism?

4) You can have icecream without cherries.

Imagine a person wearing a hat. They look good with the hat. They look good without the hat. The presence or absence of the hat bears no significance to the body's ability to perform its functions. The body is the game portion of the website, and the hat the forums. Irvine doesn't truly need the forums, be ause they are not an integral part of the revenue stream.

A general life lesson: It is always about the money. If AG thought they could make more money by getting rid of these forums, it'd be the end for us.
Showing 1-9 of 9