ForumsWEPRRacism and Sexism

37 24003
eunoic
eunoic
50 posts
Nomad

Both racism and sexism still affect many people's daily lives.

Which one affects you as an individual more, if at all? Tell a personal story!
Do you think that racism or sexism is a bigger problem in society today? Debate!

I know that this thread might get a little heated so please respect others opinions and do not bash. Try to be as factual as possible in your debate. Here is a list of Fallacious Arguments to avoid for your future reference:
http://www.don-lindsay-archive.org/skeptic/arguments.html

Also, if you wish to tell a personal story please give the relevant information for context.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
-Eunoic

• 37 Replies
stinkyjim
stinkyjim
470 posts
Shepherd

I live in an extremely racist community. Our small town had a population of about 300 in 1990, but the current population is roughly 1000. Our mayor in 1990 decided it would be a good idea to expand, but the intention was that the town would grow to no more than 350 and the immigrates would mainly be those who lived a few miles outside the town. Instead he decided it would be a better idea to take in Chicagoan residents who were poverty-stricken. Our small town had a strong caring for one another, so the town voted for it. Here's what really happened: We got tons of ex-convicts who were mainly black. When you bring in a bunch of former gangsters and meth addicts who were black to a tiny town made up of older white people, you get clashes. Within a few years a few meth labs popped up and grew, gang violence and presence shot up dramatically, and naturally the somewhat ignorant lifetime residents blamed this on the color of their skin, not their actions. In 1996 the KKK held an extremely large rally to get this integration-idea repealed, but it failed miserably and the KKK still has a large presence. Needless to say, I grew up in a world of white on black violence.

So the small town expanded and accepted hundreds of black people into the community, and afterwards crime rates exploded through the roof? I kind of understand why they would be angry.
While I agree that oppressing black people is wrong, when the black people turn around and turn your town into a drug and gang infested town I think it's time to put the boot down and kick them back out.
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

There are a lot of places in the world where women need not work unless some misfortune befalls their family.

What if she wants to work? If she can do the work as competently as anyone else, is her labor somehow less valuable, solely because of her gender? I think not.
KnightDeclan
KnightDeclan
478 posts
Nomad

LOLOLOLOLOL XDXDXD I wonder why this thread was started

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

In their boundless wisdom, the U.K. government has suggested that gender quotas should be introduced for boards of directors. The idea is to enforce equality. The major problem is that it penalizes people who are better than some candidates who are the opposite sex but worse than the other candidates of the same sex, e.g "Dear Mr./Ms Hill, we regret to inform you that you have been passed up for promotion as we had to give the job to a less capable man/woman as it's the law"

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

LOLOLOLOLOL XDXDXD I wonder why this thread was started

Relax, you're just being paranoid

In their boundless wisdom, the U.K. government has suggested that gender quotas should be introduced for boards of directors. The idea is to enforce equality. The major problem is that it penalizes people who are better than some candidates who are the opposite sex but worse than the other candidates of the same sex, e.g "Dear Mr./Ms Hill, we regret to inform you that you have been passed up for promotion as we had to give the job to a less capable man/woman as it's the law"

That is exactly the problem I have with gender quotas. If anything, put quotas on the low positions so that more women have a chance of rising at top tier by themselves; putting quotas on top positions, in many cases, just shifts the decision away from individual competences.
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

If anything, put quotas on the low positions so that more women have a chance of rising at top tier by themselves;

There shouldn't be quotas at all. Enforcing a split ratio of a specific amount only ensures that everyone is now being affected by sexism. The most qualified/suitable people for the position should be hired. It's the same thing with affirmative action and racism.
Nurvana
Nurvana
2,524 posts
Farmer

Which one affects you as an individual more, if at all?

I live somewhere where racism is still very prominent, albeit under the surface. Words that I wouldn't have dared say when I lived elsewhere are just kind of thrown around without a second thought, and while not always malicious, it's still surprising to see how differently a group of people will view something compared to how you always understood it.

A few buddies of mine drove through Mississippi to Texas for a games con, and one of them was black. They told me about getting open stares while at gas stations, and while they saw no other black people on the way through, they just decided not to stop on the way back.

Stuff like that is still very prominent in some areas of the world, and it really goes unnoticed by the people who don't experience it on a daily basis.

Sexism is a whole other story, and while I'll say there is still discrimination, mostly in the workplace, in my experience they've gotten much closer to true equality than those barred by race.

(also, these are just the experiences of someone living in the States.)
samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

I find that the place that I live in seems to be labeled the most rascist yet I haven't seen a single rascist event In over ten years of life here (Well except for a faded bent up sign with bullets holes threatening black people caught on the river after sundown that was put up in the 50'6)Also most of my freinds make rascist jokes about a person standing right next to us and we all laugh together yet everybody in Alabama is a rascist.

samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

Nurvana from your dialouge I would assume you live in the south

.Words that I wouldn't have dared say when I lived elsewhere are just kind of thrown around without a second thought,

Yah we all know what you mean.
and while not always malicious,

I have heard racial slurs used in conversations between people of different races like it's nothing for me it isn't
A few buddies of mine drove through Mississippi to Texas for a games con, and one of them was black. They told me about getting open stares while at gas stations,

So have I and I'm white but still there are still some parts of the south black people don't wanna be after dark but it isn't so different in the northern U.S for example there are certain places were it is not good to be of a certain race, racial slurs are used quite frequently, and only a certain race can get away with being rascist. I can't tell if that was about the getto or the country.
Nurvana
Nurvana
2,524 posts
Farmer

I have heard racial slurs used in conversations between people of different races like it's nothing for me it isn't

I'm white

That sort of makes your post irrelevant. I don't understand why you'd say racial slurs are "nothing to you" then turn around and say you're white. Why would they be anything to you? Obviously I'm not talking about white people, I pointed that out and you even quoted it. So I don't really get the point of that post.

but it isn't so different in the northern U.S

It is completely different. Either you have never lived in both the northern and southern United States, or you just haven't been paying attention, because that's not a concept you can explain. You have to live it to understand the racial tension just under the surface of the south. The literature you read in classes, the names you hear, the attitude races have towards each other. They can't be comparable, because the ratio for certain races is so difference in both regions. I didn't even know a black guy until I moved south.

for example there are certain places were it is not good to be of a certain race, racial slurs are used quite frequently,

I'd love to hear some examples of that. Like I said, there aren't even enough people of different ethnicities living up North to elicit much of a racial barrier. Everyone is western European. You won't walk into a suburban area and find an eastern bloc ghetto, or an all-black community living in a slum. Not every homeless person you come across is someone either than a white male. The whole purpose of your post looks like an effort to simply disagree with me, which I don't understand.
Wyrzen
Wyrzen
325 posts
Peasant

Racism and sexism are some of the things that get me the most upset; they are utterly rife with double-standards and hypocrisy.

For example, while this isn't a blanket statement, many women with strong feminist views are upset with the way society treats women in the job-environment, and rightly so. However, their view of "equality" is, in reality, a divided line stacked in their favor, and they use low means to get them. Brings to mind Hayley from American Dad. Of course, men are just as much to blame too if they think women should only cook and clean.

Will there ever be true equality among the genders? Probably not. But the way to balance is not be stacking the cards for the feminist women. Like it has been said, tons of us are forced into gender-roles, which isn't always good or bad, but it's when you try to shove your equality down another's throat that it is an issue

Now racism get's me even more fired up. When you've got one group of black people trying to show how they are equal and educated and that equality is something to be worked for, but then have the other black people who literally go far out of their way to stereotype themselves...I just don't get it. You want to be equal? Stop doing things to prove your "independence from white people" like naming your kid things like 'jihonimonaquisha' or 'spatula', yes, there was a kid named spatula, and sticking your entire *** out the back of your pants and well, I could go on. Again, this isn't everybody, but I find it hard to eliminate racism when so many groups go out of their way to "differentiate" themselves, when in fact it is just conforming to stereotypes and driving the races apart; not just blacks are at fault with this.

And don't get me started on the bullcrap that is Affirmative Action. Noble intentions? Sort of. Applied well? Hell no.

filming
filming
2 posts
Nomad

There is no country that is particularly 'racist'. It's the people you meet. Everybody at least has a few biased thoughts. I am against racism and sexism yet the people here barely are thinking about what they're saying.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

However, their view of "equality" is, in reality, a divided line stacked in their favor, and they use low means to get them.

Those people are using feminism as a front for their Misandry.

and that equality is something to be worked for

Which it isn't.

You want to be equal? Stop doing things to prove your "independence from white people" like naming your kid things like 'jihonimonaquisha' or 'spatula',

Or...we could stop slandering people for doing such things.

and sticking your entire *** out the back of your pants and well

That's a fashion trend...just so happens to be more popular amongst the black community.

-----

A random thought..I hate the idea of referring to black people as "African-American". Not every black person is from Africa or America.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Not every black person is from Africa or America.

I need to fix this..because technically speaking black people do originate from Africa (then again..we all do), but I mean not every one is born in Africa or is an African citizen. Same goes with the American aspect.
Wyrzen
Wyrzen
325 posts
Peasant

A random thought..I hate the idea of referring to black people as "African-American". Not every black person is from Africa or America.

I actually agree with this part. Just because my ancestors are from Sweden I'm not "Swedish-American". Now, if you are, like a girl from my class, directly from Africa (She was born in Kenya or something) then you are 100% African-American. If you're descended from slaves that showed up here in the late 1600's, well then you're technically more "American" than I am.

That's a fashion trend...just so happens to be more popular amongst the black community.

Or...we could stop slandering people for doing such things.

While true, that isn't going to bring about any form of "equality" or a racism-free environment. I would literally never hire a person who's butt crack I can see and who speaks barely intelligible ghetto ramble. This applies to all people. A well dressed and educated black woman would get whatever job I'm offering over some white trash smelly male any day. I have a black friend who, when she was riding the bus home from school, got asked by the girl, "Why you speakin' all white and ****? Ain't you like bein' black? You a white-lovin' *****."

That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about.

Those people are using feminism as a front for their Misandry.

I agree.
Showing 16-30 of 37