ForumsProgramming ForumFlash games and Handheld games

1 7008
Squigglyo
Squigglyo
15 posts
Herald

Hey guys.

Im a handheld developer but I would love to contribute to Armor Games.

If you liked a game on Armor Games, would you pay for a near identical version on the iPhone/Android?

How would you react to a flash game that acted like a demo to a paid hand held version?

What are your thoughts on flash games with premium currency?

• 1 Reply
pirateplatypusgames
pirateplatypusgames
37 posts
Nomad

If you liked a game on Armor Games, would you pay for a near identical version on the iPhone/Android?

Probably not. I don't have a smart phone. Though I would be happy to purchase it if it were high enough quality and I there was a native Linux version without DRM.

If I had a smart-phone and the game didn't have drm, yes. Though I personally would prefer to buy an Android app through F-Droid or another venue that isn't Google Play.

How would you react to a flash game that acted like a demo to a paid hand held version?

You'd likely get crucified. Some sites will rate demos very low. I think your best bet is to make the Flash version a full game with 'ads' or links to the mobile version. Personally, I'd be exponentially more likely to purchase an offline version of a game where I got to play the whole thing than I would a demo.

What are your thoughts on flash games with premium currency?

It's a nifty idea, but I've yet to see it implemented in a way where I would be willing to pay. Given that the flash game demographic has always been able to play games for free, players tend to not take too kindly to games where they have to shell out money to get the full experience.

For instance, some games will have gold and gems. Gold is dropped by enemies. Gems either aren't dropped or are dropped so rarely that it might as well not be dropped. Then the game prompts you to purchase gems. Gems are usually required to get any of the decent weapons/upgrades.

I think it would be much more successful if the game was made in such a way that the players who don't want to play can get the full experience for free. Then the optional in game purchases can be there for those who want them.

Though I would never pay for in game premium items. The reason for that is that after I shell out my money, the 'roduct' lives on a server that I have no control over. When the day comes that the server is shut down, I'm out whatever I paid into the game.

I'd much rather support the developer by paying a fair price for a native running, drm free, version. I'm really inflexible on those two requirements, especially the drm issue.
Showing 1-1 of 1