ForumsGamesLast Stand: Dead Zone - raiding tips?

18 38121
owsharp
owsharp
1 posts
Nomad

Tried posting in the official game forums but it takes days to get approved for posting, I guess...

Any tips for a newbie raider? I just got attacked for the first time yesterday, and I want to try to deliver a little pay back. I put out a bounty, and someone collected on it, but it would be fun to try raiding this jerk myself.

I'm level 15, have a very good collection of level-appropriate equipment and the ability to craft a lot of starter active gear (grenades etc.) Have a fighter-specialized leader, 1 medic, 1 recon, 1 engi, 1 scavenger and the rest fighters.

I just don't even know starter tactics. Should I take all long rifles and range-increasing glasses and try to snipe the defenders out, or does that always lose vs. watch towers? One guy with a melee weapon to kill barriers, or more than that? Do I need to bring my Medic or is the leader good enough? Recon/engi for traps or more fighter heavy?

Any tips appreciated I figure at a minimum I'll bring some smoke grenades and satchel charges and at least one guy with a long rifle and see how it works out.

• 18 Replies
V1p3rxxx
V1p3rxxx
3 posts
Farmer

i think the basic is one rifle for supporting fire, and one long rifle for long range
example of rifle : ARC-556, example of long rifle : Manning.22

if you lv 10+ i think use one melee and 2 guns (i recomend long rifle for both)
why melee ? because melee can destroy security faster than guns

about the type i think :
1 medic + 1 recon (below lv 10)
1 recon, 1 medic + 1 engineer

nb : engineer have more percentage to disarm trap while recon is shooting from far away and detect traps

Raze5000
Raze5000
47 posts
Treasurer

I'm level 42, and I have a bunch of rares and uniques.
Specials aside, I would recommend you to have at least 1 long rifle, 2 fast shotguns or assault rifles and 2 machine guns. I would personally not recommend melee weapons because they are useless against the defenders. Chances are, the defender has loaded their defenses with long rifles and machine guns, so by the time you run to them and try to stab them or club them, your survivors will be dead.

To classes:

I recommend one engineer armed with a machine gun, assault or improvised. Very useful for disarming traps (they have the highest skill count of all classes in disarming traps).
One recon with a long rifle (obviously). Very useful as they have a specialty with long rifles and detect traps from far away, so you can save your other survivors (they are the only class that can detect traps from a distance). However, keep your recon at a distance from the defenders as they are very fragile. Only bring them into the building after most or all defenders are dead.
One medic is a must. The last thing you want is you failing the mission and gaining none of the loot because all your survivors died. They can be swapped with a leader if you want a healer but want him/her to be able to fight properly.
A scavenger is undoubtedly needed. You only have 7 minutes, and about 3 of those 7 minutes you will need killing defenders and disarming traps. This means you have to scavenge as much as you can in 4 minutes, and reach the safe zone too. With a scavenger, your scavenging speed is reduced by as much as 4x.
You can fill in this gap with any other class you want. I would choose a scavenger or medic, as a fighter's job is filled by the engineer, more or less.

Strategy:

1. Monitor your opponent. Don't jump in to attack straight away. See if your target has made any new buildings. See if he has been raided (destroyed buildings, etc...). Then, find an optimum time and attack.

2. Look at the compound before placing your troops. Look where the compound is most heavily defended, because chances are, this is where most of the defending team will be. Many forget this and randomly place troops, to be met with heavy firing while scavenging and resulting in a failed mission and 5 survivors that are useless for the next day.
If you are armed mainly with long rifles, place your troops a bit further away from a heavily defended area, to maximize your range advantage. If you have more machine guns, try to go into a direct encounter with the defended area. This maximizes your rate of fire and power, while ignoring your low accuracy.

3. Look where the loot is. Find your most needed resource, be it water, food, metal, wood or cloth. Plan to raid the storage before the drop off. Storage is more likely to contain more loot than a drop off, although a drop off has a guarantee to contain a resource (if unlucky, the storage could be empty)

4. Find a suitable spot to put your troops in. As mentioned in Step 2, look at your weapons. Find good cover (where you see a green shield near your mouse) and plant your troops there, depending if you are playing Conservative (long rifles) or Aggressive (machine guns).

5. Eliminate the defenders. Don't just start searching buildings for resources. This may be obvious, but don't forget it.

6. Find and disarm traps. You don't want to be blown up right before you raid a FUEL generator then have a "Mission Failed" screen.

7. If you are the ravager and merciless and reckless person, destroy all their other buildings. Be weary of your time limit though, if your limit is under one minute, rush back to the green zone. And then again, expect a revenge raid as well, and a particularly horrible one (unless they are far lower leveled and have horribly equipped survivors or you are an expert and have a great defense system).

Raze5000
Raze5000
47 posts
Treasurer

If you are a ravager and merciless destroyer, equip your higher health classes (engineer, fighter, leader) with melee weapons.
There are 4 survivors you will definitely take if you use my strategy. That last fifth space you might want to use a fighter or engineer, equipped with a melee. The other 3 survivors will be sufficient to take out the defending team if they are decently equipped and have good quality gear and weapons (blue, green, purple or rare/unique). If you are high leveled enough, use grenades. Use them on every survivor (provided you have enough grenades). Use the grenades causing more damage to humans. You will waste your grenade by chucking it at a barricade, as the damage is far beyond the barricade's health so throw it where there are human defenders. It deals area damage and is far more worth than throwing at a barricade.
Your melee weapons are going to destroy the buildings anyway, they aren't going to harm any survivors so use their advantages.
Plus, it's far more satisfying to destroy with your own hands and kill defenders with grenades, so this adds to your ego a bit.

unholyrevenger72
unholyrevenger72
1 posts
Nomad

How do destroy their buildings with out explosives?

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

How do destroy their buildings with out explosives?

If you are talking about the raids where you raid a computer for loot and get attacked by zombies, those buildings cannot be destroyed, only looted to the max.

If you are talking about another player's compound I don't think you can destroy that either, you can only destroy all their possessions and storages, walls, collectors, etc.
xXPuMaFaCeXx
xXPuMaFaCeXx
1 posts
Nomad

Hey guys, i was searching for my problem and i didn't find anything
My problem is, weapons that are equipped in defenses, why i can disable their using and use another type of weapons?, i tried a lot and i can't do anything to change weapons, they are all melee and i want to use pistols!

sURGEShock
sURGEShock
4 posts
Nomad

I got a problem. How do you take care of the defenders in the corner of the compound, when raiding? I found it impossible to get by without being barraged by bullets. :/

Onlee97
Onlee97
1 posts
Nomad

hi, i'm level 11 and this is my raiding tips,
1.you have to bring at least 1 melee in order to break the barricades,and a healer
2.you'd better bring some hunter compacts to make the enemy scared, about
3 is enough.Each man with hunter will shot 1 enemy,'til the enemy is all scared,
move closer and closer, after that, your meleer can break the barricades and
CLOSE COMBAT!
3. If the enemy defends their resources indoor, put their men indoor, you should divide your team to each gate in order to disturb enemy's team. Then use tip 2!

DarkChaos
DarkChaos
2 posts
Constable

also using smoke granade is very very useful

BlazingDonut
BlazingDonut
2 posts
Nomad

@Onlee
Actually it depends
your tips count on the usual 5v5 for your level, higher than that you will have to fight more than 5 survivors with just 5 guys so multiple long rifles will not work.
The best way for me is to have one guy with a long rifle then the rest with suppression weapons, suppress their snipers one at a time then while suppressed pick him off with your guy with the long rifle, rinse and repeat until no more tower snipers and finish the raid however you like.

oh yeah and smokes are AWESOME for raiding

BlazingDonut
BlazingDonut
2 posts
Nomad

but the supression is better done with automatics as they can dish out higher volumes of fire provided that their snipers are taken care of

markleigh38
markleigh38
1 posts
Nomad

what do call the item that breaks barricades faster? tnx for the hewlp

davbarrio
davbarrio
1 posts
Nomad

Hi, I read that melee guns can destroy barricades and buildings, but for now (I'm at level 16) I can not attack barricades or doors, so, i can only kill defenders, but, can´t enter inside compound ... so i miss something ... I appreciate any indication. Thank you. Greetings.

Aegiseternal1
Aegiseternal1
11 posts
Nomad

well, Always prioritize defenses and a well balanced party always make fair results.

cocer
cocer
2 posts
Shepherd

Recon for seeing enemy traps
Medic/Leader for healing
figther/scavanger/engi for figthing

Start by looking for enemy weak spots like farm or water collector outside the defender view.
Then you can attack the weakest enemy barricade and go inside the compound loot everything that isin nailed down .

Showing 1-15 of 18