ForumsWEPRGender Identity

137 57360
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

I feel like there should be a thread about such a topic, and now there is one.

What are your thoughts on Gender Identity?
[Note: Gender =/= sex]

• 137 Replies
ellock
ellock
385 posts
Blacksmith

Wow, I was not expecting such a touchy topic! I mean, I should have expected one, but I did not.

I think - for me personally- your gender is in your genetics. XX girl and XY boy and XXY for the rare case of hermaphroditism. However, your perception of your gender is subjective. So while you are born male/female you could identify as the other. Weather this is correct or not is not something I am going to go into. I do think, though, that a lot of people fake it. People want to do anything to stand out and prove how much of a special and unique individual they really are. This is making light of something that can be a serious issue. As people going around heavily believing that they are NOT a male when, in reality, they are. Nothing can really change your genetic gender; you could however, change the expression of the genes by body alterations or hormones introduced to the body.

rafterman
rafterman
600 posts
Nomad

Is it ethical for mtf transsexuals to play female sports?

Realistically yes. After some time on HRT, mtfs and ftms will develop similar muscles to their target gender. Specifically to your question, an mtf's muscles will atrophy down to female levels unless they put the same effort into maintaining their muscles as a natal female would. If anything they would be at a slight disadvantage due to a heavier skeletal system with similar muscle mass.
chrystalfox
chrystalfox
20 posts
Nomad

There seems to be constant misunderstanding in this thread.

Gender is how someone identifies

Sex is what they were born as.

Thought I would clear that up

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

There seems to be constant misunderstanding in this thread.

You caught that, did you? Yes, that is a complete misunderstanding, because the words are actually synonymous. Gender = Sex.

I reserve the right to interpret your words as I see fit, regardless of their intended meaning.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Thought I would clear that up

I made the same mistake in my OP. As is pointed out in page and and here on page 6 by Fish, gender and sex are synonymous. The term you are looking for is Gender Identity.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

If it was just "sports" without the gender divide it would continue to be male-dominated

So what? Some track and field sports are currently black-dominated. Should we separate by skin tone to make it 'fair'?
Riptizoid101
Riptizoid101
6,257 posts
Farmer

Let's not get caught up with semantics. Are gender and sex synonymous? Yes, but one should be able to interpret from context when one means sex or gender identity. We shouldn't dwell on this any longer and get back to discussing about gender identity itself rather than linguistic accuracy.

So what? Some track and field sports are currently black-dominated. Should we separate by skin tone to make it 'fair'?

Perhaps this is enacted so that the generally &quothysically weaker" females get to have play time. And, admit it or not, but we're in a society that inherently believes in the male superiority and female inferiority (although we're moving out of that). This shouldn't be the base model at all, as individual skill evaluation should be the utmost priority. But what about high physical contact sports like tackle football and boxing? This is a problem that people can't overlook when it comes to differences in terms of physical strength.

But I digress. On this topic, I have mixed feelings whether full on gender segregation on certain sports should be lifted or not.
abt79
abt79
59 posts
Blacksmith

Just as females are proven to have, genetically, a better brain capacity, men are genetically stronger, (both statistics are on average of course, I am sure there are some women stronger and not nearly as smart as me). So either way you put it, men and women have their strengths and weaknesses, and neither gender is "superior".
As such, I think gender segregation in sports can be seen in different ways. If you mean that men/women should not be allowed to play different sports (ex. Only girls play volleyball, football is a man's sport) seems ridiculous. If you mean that men and women should not play sports on the same teams or in the same leagues, I do agree that women are inherently physically weaker (although there may very well be some female bodybuilders that could take down Shaq), plus there is the whole facet of attraction (for lack of a better, more AG-appropriate term) towards the opposite gender, a topic I think is quite self explanatory (Would many women want a 250 lb guy in those tight football pants tackling her to the ground? Being a man I am not entirely sure, but I have a hunch...)
So to recap: neither gender is "superior" in general, mixed feelings on gender segregation in sports.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

plus there is the whole facet of attraction (for lack of a better, more AG-appropriate term) towards the opposite gender, a topic I think is quite self explanatory (Would many women want a 250 lb guy in those tight football pants tackling her to the ground? Being a man I am not entirely sure, but I have a hunch...)

You realize there is the whole facet of attraction towards the same gender too, right? Some guys might join the team just for that kind of experience. Is that a reason to ban contact sports? Or locker rooms?
abt79
abt79
59 posts
Blacksmith

Hmmm true good point.
This is one reason why many men are homophobic and do not want "gay" guys on sports teams. They genuinely don't want someone they are in no way attracted to "checking them out".
Hmmm I will have to think about this.

chrystalfox
chrystalfox
20 posts
Nomad

What if we allow personal privacy? Is it such a bad deal? Add showers with stalls, and maybe give everyone a place to change, if they're so worried about it.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

What if we allow personal privacy? Is it such a bad deal? Add showers with stalls, and maybe give everyone a place to change, if they're so worried about it.

That might be a bit hard to implement given such a set up would either have to take up much more room or create a waiting line for use. Though I do have to say personally I would prefer it if we did have such a set up instead.
Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

Imma throw 2 cents in and run away for a while b/c med school integrated exams and stuff, so.... hold on to ya butts. It's mostly me rambling about a pseudo related issue to the current topic... so, sorry to all of you who don't like that or won't like my thoughts

When it comes to subjects such as this I think people neglect to acknowledge (or they just don't know) that there are different models/systems/lenses by which the information is compiled and viewed through. A lot of the arguments I've seen revolve almost solely on two parties arguing things seen through different lenses which means that the people use the same words but they don't mean the same things.... so its like a semantical tornado of never getting anywhere. You can hardly place certain views as "truths" just because they make sense under the model you've bought into. Different psychologists say different things all of the time... so just because a few people have come in and tried to redefine certain words doesn't make the classical definitions wrong. Every verbal picture must be painted on the canvas of context or it starts dabbling in the realm of just making a pointless mess.

I feel that the model that says that gender = sex is the more concise and efficient of the two. Gender identity comes across as a better means of expressing the mental association one takes with a specific set of (what seem to be) preconceived psychosocial norms for what they think they are. For all those stuck in the gray area of sexual maldevelopment those disorders all have specific names that describe them and those terms can and are used to describe their exact characteristics/problems making a seemingly decent substitution for the hermaphrodite and others.

I just have difficulty with accepting the other way of thinking because it isn't very objective in my eyes... unless the sole action of someone saying they are something dictates that they are in fact that something qualifies as objective. The gender identity norms are all socially constructed and are apt to change from culture to culture. You can't standardize what it means to psychologically identify as a man or woman. The names for whatever category you put yourself into have no value or significance at that point. They are not descriptive and they are not scientific. Maybe this is just me forcing my beliefs onto the realm of science, but the value of a label isn't in making yourself feel better... it's in streamlining information and making something understandable to others. A field of science is a field of science... it's not inherently an outlet for making you feel better about the genetic lottery ticket you bought on your way into the world.

If I say that my gender is tree, then what does that mean? I think it, I believe it, I am it! But I'm not a tree. I'm a human male who has thrust his opinion of what he thinks a tree is onto all of treedom... and if all I've done is simply say that I am a tree without forcing my idea of what that treentails onto the world, then all I'm doing is saying words that, like I said earlier, have little to no descriptional value. AND if they're not going to have any value, then it's not really a scientific explanation of something and not science. You have to objectively fall into the category, you don't just get to pick. Some of the girliest guys (it's a trap!) you can find will identify as men and some of the burliest guys will identify as women. The model that reconciles with the burly guys' gender/sex disgruntlement is in fact a model, but it does nothing but reconciliation. There's seemingly no value in the labels and it just makes the whole ordeal more complicated and convoluted than the model I subscribe to. I can't look through those particular lenses because everything is too blurry without any definitive lines tracing the objects so as to actually be seen and differentiated from the surroundings.

Even if we find out something in the brain that's specific to this particular occurrence exists in these people I still say their sex/gender should be male but psychologically they're female. If you're going to use alternate definitions, then you should make the context and actual meaning known, so that what you're talking about is at least clear.

just thought I'd stir up the mud a little bit

http://funny-pictures-blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Judging-tree.jpg

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

unless the sole action of someone saying they are something dictates that they are in fact that something qualifies as objective.

This, I think, is your strongest point. Suppose I self-identify as Catholic yet I reject the notion that Jesus Christ existed and died for our sins. However I identify myself I am not, in fact, a Catholic. I would think the same objective standard would hold across various gender identities.

Overall, I share your general... befuddlement. Suppose a male self-identifies as a female. There must be reasons in support of this decision. If it's the sole fact that he prefers sexual activity with other males, then he is, as an objective matter of fact, a homosexual male. So the proper reason would be something like "Well, I just feel like a woman." But how does this person know what it feels like to be a woman? This is the point at which the notion breaks down. There seems to be no apt comparison on offer. Does he wish he had a vagina, or breasts? That can't be right, because there are individuals with vaginas and breasts who don't feel like women!

There's another problem, however, and it has to do with the whole political correctness of the situation. You wouldn't want to force a particular label on someone in this arena, as doing so could be viewed as a heinous act. And yet, I would imagine there are people who are genuinely confused about what they're feeling and these strict objective matters-of-fact might help them self-identify. After all, if I don't believe in Jesus then I know I'm not a Catholic!
Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

If I say that my gender is tree, then what does that mean? I think it, I believe it, I am it! But I'm not a tree. I'm a human male who has thrust his opinion of what he thinks a tree is onto all of treedom

The following statement is problematic:

"If I say that my gender is female, then what does that mean? I think it, I believe it, I am it! But I'm not a female. I'm a human male who has thrust his opinion of what he thinks a female is onto all of treedom" (I'm not really sure what you meant by treedom lmao oops)
Showing 46-60 of 137