ForumsNews and FeedbackRespond to Non-English Posts in the Same Langauge as Poster

3 4042
Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

I understand that Armor Games is pretty much English only and you have to use English on the forums (and elsewhere for the most part). But, every once in awhile a user who does not know this rule will post a thread in a different language. There are usually replies to that post that say you have to use English on the site, but the replies are in English. This doesn't make sense, that user won't learn this new rule because they may not understand English. It would seem more appropriate to run your response through a translator and then post one response in English and one in the Posters language.

I understand that the user can simply use a translator too, and that the translation you may use may not be the best, but at I feel it would be more effective for the user to at least see the response in initially in their language. Of course it seems ironic to tell a user that the site is English by doing so in a different language.

• 3 Replies
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

I of course can't speak for the team here, but It's impossible for mods to be able to read any number of languages, and so to know if there's subliminal spam or trolling going on or what.

Now answer these posts in their own language, and they have two posts they have trouble interpreting (Now provide the English translation with it, but say in Russian script how are they to know if that is a fair translation. Nor then can they be expected to Babelfish up every other Portuguese Spanish Finnish etc. comment.)

Hence I guess the strict enforcement on plenty a (international) forum. You'd think most people nowadays will be able to catch a phrase to the effect of "English only"; they'll have a tough time gaming if they don't, or signing up to post a query, or to even know what kind of site they're looking at. Or if not, they can indeed look it up; but mostly you'd think they're pretty much asking for the obvious, to begin with, and so ignoring what is an obvious rule.

nb I have in fact seen members here usually going to the lengths of trying to machine-translate the answer in the poster's (more common of) languages, along with their reply in English. Civil enough, you'd think. I'm not sure even if the mods/admin are happy about that; usually those threads seem to get closed the moment they're spotted. May look harsh, but understandable, then, in my view.

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

I'm not saying to allow threads to be started in other languages. Also, I'm not saying to allow threads that have accidentally been started in another language to be allowed to stay without being locked. But what I am saying is, for those threads that eventually come up here and there in different languages, to send the response to those those threads saying, "AG is an English language website only." in English and the poster's language.

It's not hard to copy paste the users comment into Google Translate which will then automatically detect the users language (rather accurately) and then translate. This means when I type my response ("AG is an English language website only.&quot I can simply put it into Google translate and then set the options to translate it to the user's language.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Seems like it shouldn't be a very complicated issue. Dunno why you guys typed paragraphs.

At the end of the day, what would Reton's suggestion harm?

Showing 1-3 of 3