ForumsNews and FeedbackIs AG going downhill?

44 21700
sparetk1
sparetk1
4 posts
Peasant

I've been a long time fan of AG for at least 5 years. I enjoyed this website over any other sites across the world. It doesn't matter if I just got the biggest titles on my console, busy with MMO, piled with work, I would always reserve a portion of my time to AG. I don't usually go to the forum, I just play the games. Recently, I've noticed several intriguing changes. I am not pleased personally, but that is ok. I just want to know am I the only one taking this seriously?

1. Increased amount of MMO.

To be honest, this is a good change. It is always good to have more options. However, one should realize that MMO should not taking away spaces for regular games. I can't stand the fact a random MMO pop out of no where taking the space reserved for flash games in front page. Heck, MMO is taking over the "new game" section, displayed as default in categories. MMO is not a game that you play as much as you want, most people only have time for one. It is the flash games that deserve to be displayed as priority.

2. Increased amount of advertising.

Ads are not evil. They are there to award devs with money, who made such amount of quality games. However, they now display in every games. How about only display them while loading? How about add a skip button? How about limiting them under 10 seconds? I know Youtube have done a good job with ads, so can AG.

3. Decreased game quality.

One year ago, I can find a great game every week. Gemcraft, Kingdom rush, Sonny, those are classic games I never forgets. I am seeing less and less of them, in fact, I can barely see a game rated above 90 these days. I know rating isn't everything, but it does speak something when every games are like that.

4. Decreased game quantity

This is not as significant as the others, but it is noticeable. I wonder what happened. Shouldn't AG update more often with increased publicity and funds from ads? I do not understand this.

Will I stay here? Yes. Will I be content with the changes? Maybe. Would I want this trend to continue? Definitely not!

• 44 Replies
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

DO NOT CLICK IT! no clicks no money AG! Keep that in mind!

Also..this isn't how ads word, fyi.

They don't pay based on clicks (albeit, they may pay MORE), but instead on just to have the space.
edem
edem
8 posts
Nomad

... derp ... most ads actually work by pay per click .... specially adsense ... IF your site is not popular and not getting clicks or .... let's have it your way ... views ... its like saying the advertising company is paying for ANY ad space they see ....

ok .. let's say that is true ...
Now if AG goes as well as it did before ads it would be awesome .... many clicks and views .... but personally i don't check AG as often as i did before the ads ..... in fact ... besides this post and playing a few ... old .... favorite games ... i don't even look at the homepage anymore ...

So ... you say that the advertising company is going to pay the same for an ad space in the middle of new york as for an ad space in a cave somewhere in communist china?

True ... they get pay for ad space ...but without clicks the companies will do the same as they did to facebook .... not nuff customers coming from there .. pay less or pay no more ....

I'm going to be frank. I can't tell if this is a sarcastic post, a troll post or a post from someone that hasn't been on the internet until a week ago.

Mkay ... you win this one maybe not yet in freefall .... but if the ads go on liek they do .... it soon will be. sometimes i just don't want to wait 2 minutes to just skim trough a game for 30 seconds ... personally when i see another ad over the game window i close it .... not the ad .. the window .... and get back to 9 gag ... where by the way the memes ... THEY ARE FUNEHHHEHEHHEH XD
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

So ... you say that the advertising company is going to pay the same for an ad space in the middle of new york as for an ad space in a cave somewhere in communist china?

You obviously have no clue how ads work.

Next time you watch a sports game, notice the different ads and their locations around the stadium. That is ad space. The better the ad space, the more the cost (hence why ad space for Super Bowl commercials is upwards in the millions). If your site brings in a heavy stream of people, then you can barter for higher paying ad space, as the higher cost for that ad space would pay off with the heavy stream of people viewing your ad.

and get back to 9 gag ... where by the way the memes ... THEY ARE FUNEHHHEHEHHEH XD

OMGZZ le 9gag ARMY!! XDDDDD lelelele dank meymeys so FUNNEH

My previous comment still stands.
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

I meant your entire post, not just that line. I even said &quotost". I wasn't going to quote the entire post, so I took the first line.

Ads work by the company paying x amount to have a space on the website. That could be a banner ad, in-game, little box. I'm sure each one has different levels of price. They get to put an ad there in hopes of gathering clicks. Some companies pay a bit for each hit they get, others not so much.
The point is that not clicking an ad doesn't equal no ad revenue. How do you think YouTubers get money from their ads? People don't click every single ad. They get paid by the amount of people who see at least the min, time before being skipped. Granted, how YT and other websites deal with ads isn't going to be a one-to-one comparison. It merely gives an example of how ads can, and do, work.

edem
edem
8 posts
Nomad

mkay .... i see kilometric posts don't work.

AG before ads = quality = many users = many views = $
AG after ads&MMO= less quality= less users = less views = less $

less $ = downhill!

UnleashedUponMankind
UnleashedUponMankind
7,043 posts
Grand Duke

Think you miss one point... its harder to get money in these days, even to get the same amount of money you must have more ways to gain money.
This is a general problem for all sites and the most simply have to go this way... and they do so.

Besides that, AG have (afaik) "only" this ible way to get money, some sites use some other, more invisible, ways (collect/sell datas, stuff like that) and some even add ads in games.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

mkay .... i see kilometric posts don't work.

Seeing as you use the term 'kilometric' to describe your post, I'm labeling you as a troll and refuse to respond to anymore more of your posts. I advise others to do the same.
pft
pft
576 posts
Grand Duke

Ads have never really bothered me.It is annoying when they are in the game screen before you play. When playing a like 10+ games a day it is normally that same ad. It is annoying. At the side of page is perfectly fine though. When refreshing a game that might be laggy the ad comes back, if there was a way to limit this from happening. Shouldn't really complain i am sure it is used for making money benefiting the site.

But all in all the site is still pretty amazing.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

I advise others to do the same.

I'm only responding to those that may be watching on the sidelines.

AG before ads = quality
AG after ads&MMO= less quality

Again..an opinion.

Also, the less users can be more easily described as due to the fact that Flash games are nowhere near as popular as they were a few years ago.
edem
edem
8 posts
Nomad

Also, the less users can be more easily described as due to the fact that Flash games are nowhere near as popular as they were a few years ago.

True that ... ever since i got my smartphone i have been playing more games on that rather than on the computer . I see that AG has lots of decent IPhone games ... too bad IPhone users only like temple run and coin dozer not decent games ... i wonder what % of AG's profits comes from AppStore or AppleOrchad or whatever is the name.
pwnup220
pwnup220
6 posts
Shepherd

The only thing annoying are those darn KiZi ads, I have to watch the absurdly annoying thing, which is ALWAYS, AG is being Evil, why would another ad about another game company nowhere as AG be unskippable?

pwnup220
pwnup220
6 posts
Shepherd

That's weird, I haven't seen one of those yet. All I get is "WORLD OF WARPLANES FROM THE MAKERS OF WORLD OF TANKS." I have to pause Pandora so I can mute my computer. First-world problems.

Yeah, I get that too, but the KiZi ones are totally UNSKIPPABLE, at least elt us skip those, they are incredibly annoying, always.
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

This is an old thread, I'm locking it. Another thread could be made to talk about ads, as there are many of them.

Showing 31-43 of 44