ForumsWEPR[necro]Evil must be punished simply for being evil, or should it?

11 9306
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

Because there is good and there is evil, and evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I shall not compromise in this. But there are so many deserving of retribution ⦠and there is so little time.
-Walter Kovacs(Watchmen)

Although the lines above are from a from a comic book, but nothing ever made more sense to me than these lines.
My world is black and white, you are either good or evil.
There is no grey area, no evil deed should go unpunished for it was commited for the greater good.
Neither doen one act of greatness justify sinful past.
Agree or Disagree?

• 11 Replies
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

There is definitely a grey (gray?) area because personality is subjective and relative. I personally believe you should be punished according to your actions, as your actions are caused by your personality.

Riptizoid101
Riptizoid101
6,257 posts
Farmer

If you're going to get into &quotunishment for evil" you have to define morality, which has been discussed before in previous threads. Tell me, how do you define what's good and what's evil? And if there is no "grey" area, how do you punish an "evil" intention with a "good" outcome or a "good" intention with an "evil" outcome?

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

My world is black and white, you are either good or evil.
There is no grey area, no evil deed should go unpunished for it was commited for the greater good.
Neither doen one act of greatness justify sinful past.
Agree or Disagree?

I disagree on your entire premise there the world is black and white. Things are further complicated by the point that not everyone sees the same things as being good or evil.
Nurvana
Nurvana
2,524 posts
Farmer

I think that quote should be taken with a grain of salt considering Rorschach's fatal flaw in the graphic novel was his tragic obsession with a personal sense of justice. The entire point of his character's development was that he was so attached to his own quest as a vigilante that he compromised his own sense of right and wrong. I wouldn't call it satire, but ironically the quote and character you base your argument on is in a sense a mockery of the very point you're trying to make.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

grey (gray?)

Both are correct..the usage depends on where you live. Grey for England...Gray for America
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

definitely disagree. if you think theres no grey and just black and white do you actually believe that a person is either pure good or pure evil?

not only i believe theres a grey i believe theres barely black and white. and as riptizoid said, in order to discuss this you have to define what evil and what good means. and that changes from one person to another. so really, theres no fact or right or wrong in this subject. and since there were several threads where we discussed the definitions of morality, right and wrong and no conclusion was made i doubt this thread will live long.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Thank you Nurvana for that comment, it seems quite ironic indeed to use that quote in this context :P

To the OP: I too disagree strongly with the black and white dichotomy, simply because there are so many influencing factors.

One problem is, evil/good are subjective concepts. I grant that there are things you don't like and that's ok, but if we let everyone punish what they think is 'evil', we go back to lynch justice and witch burnings. Punishment has to occur after actual, factual crimes against the law, not for offending someone's concepts.

Besides, calling someone/-thing 'evil' is nothing more than dehumanising the target, making it easier for you to accuse and punish.

danielo
danielo
1,774 posts
Peasant

Its funny because his name IS ThePunisher93.

Abother joke - Didnt you learnd anything from
http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/miko_ready_to_smite.png
Miko Miyazaki

You could've been such a good Jihadist in the 12th against the crusaders...

Anywho, even when i tend ti say : "no, we are all humans, hippie hippie", There is a seed of truth in Whatvour Pakistani friend say.

Seconed Lebanon war - even that i support Israel in 100%, i do agree that things were done that a court need to discuise. Luckily, Israrl do this, and servral (hope this is the word) Soliders/officers/high ranks got punished for such acts.

Even if Evil/Good is on the eyes of the viewer, yet its our job as a society to judge it. This way we can make a balanced and better world.

Or we can start nuking each other off . It will be faster and more usefull.

Nerdsoft
Nerdsoft
1,266 posts
Peasant

What's "evil"?

metalplastic
metalplastic
191 posts
Nomad

"Evil" depends on where you are. If it's something that can be punished then so be it I guess...

abt79
abt79
59 posts
Blacksmith

Define "evil" (something four seasons of "Heroes" couldn't do, good luck)
It is not black and white.

Showing 1-11 of 11