ForumsPopular MediaHeavy Metal - Gather'round Headbangers!

113 69970
stinkyjim
stinkyjim
470 posts
Shepherd

Hey guys, any fellow MetalHeads around? What are some good bands you guys usually listen to?

I have recently been getting into some Whitechapel and Veil of Maya. Both are Deathcore bands, and they both employ very deep riffs, as well as very deep death growls. Typically, you'll run into a lot of songs (like any other core band) that try to fuse heavy riffs with some melodic riffs in the background. These are the only Deathcore bands I listen to, since the entire core genre has too much melody for my tastes.

I'v also been getting into some Meshuggah and Vildharta. Both pioneers of the Djent genre, but only the latter is technically Djent. If you like technical song structures and low pitched riffs, these guys are the ones to listen to.

Some pretty heavy Death Metal can be heard from Abominable Putridity and Kraanium. These guys are some of the heaviest bands I have ever heard (aside from Hate Eternal). The gutturals dominate most of the vocals, with the occasional death growl now and again.

I'm always searching for new bands to listen to. Do you guys have any suggestions?

• 113 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

But since you brought it up... (that one's on you, lol), it's that grey erea that comes from the rock-chick-skater-dudette image started by Avril Lavigne if you ask me. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, no sir! But it makes it all the more difficult to draw a lone between where Rock ends and Metal begins...
I mean, is THIS considered to be Metal? Or Rock? Or Dance? Or Pop? Or Classical? Or... wut?! Because it has features of every one of these types of music in there! Don't slap a label on it straight away, but try to listen to it with an open mind and think about those genres I just mentioned and you'll see that the grey area is expanding more and more, like a virus almost... a nice looking one though! =)

I believe the term most people use when they're stumped is, Alternative. Haha. That's a lovely song though. I think they're electropop though.

So, who decides who's the real expert in Metal?! Someone that simply knows everything about Metal there is to know?! (Which really seems im-pos-sible to me.) Or is it someone who enjoys listening to it?! Think about that...

Probably those holier-than-thou music reviewers.

So far I've liked one song from Bullet For My Valentine though. Should start paying attention to them more.

I like Gothminister after rewatching the Matrix trilogy countless times. I believe the chap is a music lawyer by day and Goth by night.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Bored in class, so I want to pose a question:

Sepultura's album "Roots" receives a lot of praise from critics, but is commonly regarded as a bad album by Sepultura fans. Why so?

Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

So far I've liked one song from Bullet For My Valentine though.

Sweet Child O Mine was the only song of theirs I actually liked. Not my style.

It's just too dark and lacks rhythem, which is something that needs to be accounted for at all times for me personally.

Dark Ambient can be that way. And Xasthur is a Black Metal band influenced by Dark Ambient so it makes sense why everything isn't rhythmic.
stinkyjim
stinkyjim
470 posts
Shepherd

Xasthur - Subliminal Genocide (please excuse poor quality)

It wasn't the poor quality, but... nah, not my thing here. =/

It's just too dark and lacks rhythem, which is something that needs to be accounted for at all times for me personally.

Believe it or not, there is a lot of rhythm in their songs, but the guitar is tuned so low that you can barely make it out. Try focusing on the drums instead, which follow a solid beat and are easy to hear. The vocals are pretty lousy, but that's true for every single black metal band.
Black metal in general is the hardest genre to get into, not just for me, but for everyone. Black metal does the exact opposite of what death metal does, and because of this they don't tend to focus on the elements that made bands like Black Sabbath, Death and the other classics famous (the origin of basically every genre of Heavy Metal). They tend to focus more on atmosphere rather than heaviness, and their song structures could be compared to white noise (if white noise was purposely trying to creep you out and make you feel like you're in the middle of a satanic ritual, lol).
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Just found a neat site that apparently tries to give an overview of the different genres and styles... looks like a rather comprehensive network to me!

Map of Metal

numino
numino
214 posts
Peasant

Just found a neat site that apparently tries to give an overview of the different genres and styles... looks like a rather comprehensive network to me!

Map of Metal

That site is brilliant!
NontroppO
NontroppO
366 posts
Nomad

http://i60.tinypic.com/6ozqev.jpg
Yellow Machinegun (1998) [spot remover] something enormous [punkish metal] Japan

http://i59.tinypic.com/23u3kpg.jpg
Obliveon (1993) Nemesis [technical death metal & thrash metal] Canada

http://i57.tinypic.com/16a86pu.jpg
Ministry (1992) Psalm 69 [industrial rock & metal] United States

http://i60.tinypic.com/x3aivp.jpg
The Gathering (1998) [how to measure a planet] how to measure a planet [atmospheric doom metal] Netherlands

http://i62.tinypic.com/4sgpjp.jpg
Burzum (1994) Hvis lyset tar oss [black metal & ambient] Norway

rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad
stinkyjim
stinkyjim
470 posts
Shepherd

Found a new band today called Pathology. Pretty popular band apparently, but the only reason I checked them out is because I found out the lead vocalist is the same guy from my favorite band Abominable Putridity.
Some fair warning, the genre is slamming death metal. Heaviest thing you'll hear, and unless you've listened to slam in the past it'll take a few listens to get used to.

StalkerCoL
StalkerCoL
1 posts
Jester

Well, if we are talking about heavy metal, the bands I love from that genre are :Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Dio, and I like thrash too, for example, Destruction, Sodom, Exodus, Slayer and Anthrax, those bands are the best i ever known.

ellock
ellock
385 posts
Blacksmith

I tend to not gravitate to heavy death metal, because I want to connect emotionally to the singer, and the lyrics make me feel more uncomfortable than engaged... HOWEVER the closest thing I get is Impending Doom, they feel heavy (ish) and I really, really like them.
I would listen to death metal and heavy stuff if I could find songs that I can connect with that don't make me feel like I'm prepping to murder someone haha. But I think Death Metal was made to have that kind of appeal, it is the release of emotions that society demonizes, so part of the appeal of the genre IS that edgy almost violent anger; but it just isn't for me I guess.
Totally open to suggestions, you have a band or song you think I should listen to, just say so and I would be totally into checking it out .

EDIT:
no... no I cannot say that...

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

I revived this thread, so it's not a spam post this time @UnleashedUponMankind...

@ellock I understand what you're saying about Death Metal being too harsh all too well! I actually started listening to heavier genres in the Metal tree as of late... I hated the scream/extreme grunt types of Metal, but I learned that mixtures of genres provide a good starting point if you want to explore and ease into other Metal genres!

Some examples of what I've been listening to lately may help you understand what I mean...

I started listening to Bullet for my Valentine (thanx to @Goumas13 - are you still alive bro?! ) and decided to buy the album "Scream, Aim, Fire", which had -next to the initial great songs- also a song that had some grunting/screaming in there. Even though I never favored this, I liked this song from the beginning since it was not annoying to me from the get-go. The song was: Waking the Demons

After being introduced to this genre in an easy way, I stumbled upon some other bands that have screaming/grunting in it, but also some melodic tunes and actual singing, like a song by Sarea called Another Me. It is a mixture of singing and grunting with melodic Metal combined.

Another example is my recent discovery of Five Finger Death Punch, with -for example- Dying Breed or No One Gets Left Behind, which has heavy grunting in the verse, but actual singing in the chorus.

This is becoming more and more comfortable to listen to, once you get over the threshold of the dark grunting in songs and the feeling it is 'too heavy' for your taste. I hope I opened the door for you a bit, as it has for me! Let me know what you think!

stinkyjim
stinkyjim
470 posts
Shepherd

I revived this thread, so it's not a spam post this time @UnleashedUponMankind...

@ellock I understand what you're saying about Death Metal being too harsh all too well! I actually started listening to heavier genres in the Metal tree as of late... I hated the scream/extreme grunt types of Metal, but I learned that mixtures of genres provide a good starting point if you want to explore and ease into other Metal genres!

Some examples of what I've been listening to lately may help you understand what I mean...

I started listening to Bullet for my Valentine (thanx to @Goumas13 - are you still alive bro?! ) and decided to buy the album "Scream, Aim, Fire", which had -next to the initial great songs- also a song that had some grunting/screaming in there. Even though I never favored this, I liked this song from the beginning since it was not annoying to me from the get-go. The song was: Waking the Demons

After being introduced to this genre in an easy way, I stumbled upon some other bands that have screaming/grunting in it, but also some melodic tunes and actual singing, like a song by Sarea called Another Me. It is a mixture of singing and grunting with melodic Metal combined.

Another example is my recent discovery of Five Finger Death Punch, with -for example- Dying Breed or No One Gets Left Behind, which has heavy grunting in the verse, but actual singing in the chorus.

This is becoming more and more comfortable to listen to, once you get over the threshold of the dark grunting in songs and the feeling it is 'too heavy' for your taste. I hope I opened the door for you a bit, as it has for me! Let me know what you think!

You've only just begun your descent into madness! You're still on Nu-Metal, but the heaviest genre is Technical Death Metal (Debatable if you're into heavy Punk genres. I am not). Only 250 more steps to go!

Jokes aside, I think the next step for you would be Lamb of God. Though I'm no expert on the softer sides of Heavy Metal.

What I did when I first started listening was dive into the heaviest bands I could find, though in hindsight I already enjoyed Death Metal as I was introduced to it at a young age. (What happened to modern radio? Why can I no longer find a Death Metal station, yet there were several when I was a child xD)

The hardest band to get into was Meshuggah. They have a very... bumpy groove. I would describe them as Technical Thrash Metal, or Djent if you feel like pissing off a lot of people who don't recognize Djent as an official genre.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

I'm nowhere near listening to Death Metal in a comfortable and enjoying way yet @stinkyjim, don't worry! I just found myself listening to grunt and scream containing songs lately without it raising the hair on the back of my neck instantly! In the past, this was a clear-cut no-go for me... once I heard screaming or grunting, I tuned out. But lately I kind of like the combos in Metalcore or Melodic Hardcore, which are already way heavier than the Iron Maiden and Judas Priest I grew up with! KoЯn is another example of a band that uses screaming and grunting for small parts of their songs, like with "Right Now" that has a pretty psychotic violent part in the middle, which is the signature of the vocalist of the band of course.

stinkyjim
stinkyjim
470 posts
Shepherd

I'm nowhere near listening to Death Metal in a comfortable and enjoying way yet @stinkyjim, don't worry! I just found myself listening to grunt and scream containing songs lately without it raising the hair on the back of my neck instantly! In the past, this was a clear-cut no-go for me... once I heard screaming or grunting, I tuned out. But lately I kind of like the combos in Metalcore or Melodic Hardcore, which are already way heavier than the Iron Maiden and Judas Priest I grew up with! KoЯn is another example of a band that uses screaming and grunting for small parts of their songs, like with "Right Now" that has a pretty psychotic violent part in the middle, which is the signature of the vocalist of the band of course.

A similar band called Machine Head has many of those qualities you described. They might be a bit heavier than Korn, but they're the same genre. Their songs are mostly melodic, with lots of heavy riffs (but not too heavy) and the occasional Death Metal (Borderline Death Metal, not too insane) sections in their songs. I listen to them occasionally, and I would recommend the song Locust (Very heavy part about 1/2 through, and at the end) I should also mention that they have a rough vocalist, I'd describe it as deep screaming I guess. That last part may make it difficult to listen to em'.

Showing 91-105 of 113