Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

YouTube comments and Google+

Posted Nov 13, '13 at 9:50am

jeol

jeol

3,987 posts

Actually, Reton, it goes by the number of replies. Some users found that out and exploited it by just replying to themselves a number of times.

At least, that's one of the ways you can get top comment. I don't know all the factors that go into it, especially if the most replies isn't the only way.

Posted Nov 13, '13 at 10:32am

Reton8

Reton8

2,885 posts

Actually, Reton, it goes by the number of replies.

Check out the picture I posted previous page, first comment 0 replies 1 thumb up, beats out 7 thumbs up and 2 replies.

Replies are part of the algorithm indeed, but also "popularity", if the users are in your circles, and thumbs up. Paraphrased from Google's support page (quoted in my last post).

I'm thinking "popularity" is what's messing things up the most. Looking at the picture in my last post, the number one comment has 0 replies and 1 thumb up. But it beats out the number 2 comment that has 7 thumbs up and 2 replies. Then the rest don't have replies and aren't in order according to thumbs up. So it must have to do with those users "popularity" or some other not given factor.

I don't want to see my friends replies, or celebrities, or a debate between two users as the top comment. Top comment should be bases solely on thumbs up. They should add a new sorting category for all the other stuff.

Posted Nov 13, '13 at 4:10pm

Charlie506

Charlie506

1,318 posts

Well, you see. YouTube comments have been a new style. So, people are not tempted to click on EVERY REPLY THEY SEE because it opens a new tab.

Posted Nov 15, '13 at 6:50am

Reton8

Reton8

2,885 posts

I have one more complaint about the new YouTube comments. You can't open the all comments link in a new tab anymore.

Sometimes I like to let the video run while I search through or read more comments. Sometimes, I'd pause the video, but by opening the comments in a new tab, the video didn't lose it's place or have to re-buffer. But, now left clicking that link doesn't give the option and CTRL + Click doesn't work either. What a what to remove functionality.

Posted Nov 15, '13 at 10:53am

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,469 posts

Knight

Quit Youtube commenting/viewing comments ages ago. I didn't even realise they had changed and caused such mental distress. Though I might return, now that the yellow site links are showing up.

Posted Nov 15, '13 at 12:03pm

Nurvana

Nurvana

2,601 posts

my eardrums have almost been shattered by links to screamers

What kind of comments are compelling you to click on links?

Posted Nov 15, '13 at 3:03pm

Devoidless

Devoidless

3,838 posts

What kind of comments are compelling you to click on links?

The ones where the links are disguised as the "Expand this comment" link. Those kind.

Posted Nov 15, '13 at 6:59pm

xXxDAPRO89xXx

xXxDAPRO89xXx

6,858 posts

I hate how when you click on something like 1:10 it opens up a new tab...

Posted Nov 15, '13 at 7:02pm

Nurvana

Nurvana

2,601 posts

I hate how when you click on something like 1:10 it opens up a new tab...

I noticed that as well, although I wasn't sure if it was an issue with my computer. It's extremely annoying and inconvenient.

Posted Nov 15, '13 at 7:06pm

xOUTspam

xOUTspam

12 posts

Youtube Comments Petition

Just thought I'd share that with you guys. Let's get it changed back!

Reply to YouTube comments and Google+

You must be logged in to post a reply!