ForumsNews and FeedbackAnnoying prev/next links

27 16943
Frank_B
Frank_B
4 posts
Nomad

Why the heck have you put in links to prev/next games in the margins when we are playing a game? It is extremely annoying with all such irrelevant things on the screen. Show the game we are currently playing and nothing else.

• 27 Replies
GustOfWind
GustOfWind
1 posts
Peasant

Cripples some games by making some of their text impossible to read, or by outright blocking you from clicking the necessary spot when you need to click it.

I've already played two games affected by it tonight, one in which I was supposed to be paying attention to text but repeatedly had words being cut off by those nuisances.

The option to remove it is desperately needed.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

I just measured the distance of the prev/next icons from the game window. Almost exactly 5/8 of an inch on my screen. That's roughly the distance of GustOfWind's username to the thin grey line between separating his/her name from his/her posts. Missing the game window and hitting the "next" icon is the basically the equivalent of attempting to click on GustOfWind's username and instead hitting the grey line. In other words, you almost have to go out of your way to miss by that much.

Now, if only one person were to complain about the prev/next icons getting in the way, I would just suggest they work on their mouse control. However, looking back on this thread, it seems to be a common problem that affects some people but not others, which leads me to believe this issue has nothing to do with the site, but rather with the individual settings of the users filing the complaints.

I'm not sure if I've found the problem, but I may have a possible solution to those who are still experiencing difficulties with these features and to those who experience difficulty in the future. My screen's resolution is 1920 x 1080, which is the highest resolution offered on my Windows 7-run computer. At this resolution, even if your cursor slips off the side of the game window, it's not going to go anywhere near the prev/next icons. I changed my resolution to the lowest resolution offered, 800 x 600, and found that, while everything seemed further apart, one stroke of the mouse covered a lot more ground, and one slight move in either direction out of the game window could send your cursor flying; and in a fast-paced clicking game, one such move while clicking rapidly could cause you to click on something you don't want to, at least far more easily than it could in a high resolution environment.

So I don't know if this will work or not, but for those of you with problems with these icons, check your resolution. If it's on the low side (below 1280 x 720), try raising it and see if you notice a difference. It should, at the very least, lessen your chances of clicking on anything unwanted outside of the game window.

InvisibleLight
InvisibleLight
6 posts
Farmer

Hi!

I have recently started a thread with the same topic. MacII has told me about this thread. Thanks Big Mac!

Ferret has asked for screenshots to demonstrate the problem. So I am showing you now what the problem looks like to me. I use to play on a Linux system, using Firefox of course - always in fullscreen mode (F11) when playing. And, I am using a FF Add on called "Flash Resizer". It gives flash boxes a green border on the right side. By clicking it, and moving the mouse, you can change the size of the box. By double-clicking it, the whole box will be set to fullscreen size.

As you can see here, without resizing the window the "Last"-Button overlaps the game box:

[URL=http://www.pic-upload.de/view-21995920/Bildschirmfoto-vom-2014-01-19-11-35-36.png.html][IMG]http://www7.pic-upload.de/thumb/19.01.14/osbpx2ojido.png[/IMG][/URL]

After setting the box to fullscreen size, the buttons appear right inside of the box:

[URL=http://www.pic-upload.de/view-21995919/Bildschirmfoto-vom-2014-01-19-11-36-06.png.html][IMG]http://www7.pic-upload.de/thumb/19.01.14/216cqfykzdbi.png[/IMG][/URL]

Greetings,
Invisible Light

InvisibleLight
InvisibleLight
6 posts
Farmer

Oh sorry - showing the pictures the way I wanted to seems not to work.
I think I'm not able to change the posting now. So I'll try it just by showing the pictures - hoping, that they are not too big...

http://www7.pic-upload.de/19.01.14/osbpx2ojido.png

http://www7.pic-upload.de/19.01.14/216cqfykzdbi.png

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

And, I am using a FF Add on called "Flash Resizer".

Now I'm not part of the admin team and I'm not great at coding and the like. Yet to me it seems like since you are using a add-on and changing the size of the Flash window, it's your own fault. The arrows were not designed with that sort of thing in mind. You'll notice that games with a pre-made fullscreen mode don't have that issue.
To put it in perspective, it would be like trying to drive a sedan with monster truck tires and complaining that it doesn't get the advertised MPG.
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Yeh; Invisible, a first thing to try would be to temporarily disable that Resizer add-on, and see how you fare. Just using your Fullscreen and/or Zoom functions* as and if required. (I rarely if ever do, at ArmorGames.)

* Both under "View" in your browser, or usually F11 for fullscreen and back, ctrl-+ and - to zoom in/out, ctrl-0 to reset.

Chances are the issue will go away for you.

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

Bumping this. I just clicked, accidentally the prev link while playing a game and lost my progress. The cursor tends to wander in game where you ust move the mouse to aim. It is very possible for the mouse to wander off the screen and click those links.

radek0a
radek0a
3 posts
Farmer

The problem might be bigger for some people than others simply because of the games they play and how they play them.
If its an action game and you frantically move your mouse around a bit and click outside the game area, the game will usually pause... which is fine, but i keep getting unlucky enough to click the last game button.
I use chrome, and i simply zoom the page.

The resolution of my screen makes it impractical to play at default zoom.
I have a 27" display and without zoom many games have a window the size of my phone.

There should be an easy way to disable those buttons.
I know what game i played last, if i want to play it i can go back to it.
Chances are its a last played game cause it wasnt good and i moved onto another one.

Frankly... looking around this has been a problem for some people for a while now, i dont understand why something hasnt been done about this yet.

fw050669
fw050669
1 posts
Nomad

It is incredibly annoying when playing shooters. I keep clicking on one of the prev/next links in an intense fight and it exits the game and I need to restart the match. I've just stopped playing Raze2 for this reason. Remove them.

Shackles
Shackles
16 posts
Farmer

I never had this problem before, do we all have different window sizes or something?

radek0a
radek0a
3 posts
Farmer

i have a high resolution screen and increase the size of the page so i can use more of the screen to play the game also. if i have the real-estate than why not use it. and some people might be more frantic with their mouse movements than others, but it may depend more on the game.

radek0a
radek0a
3 posts
Farmer

Anyways.... here is what i came up with...
Using Chrome...
add an extension called Stylebot...
when on an armorgames page, or a AG game page hit Alt+M
select Edit CSS at the bottom of the window
enter this code
a.related-tab { display: none; }
and click save

Showing 16-27 of 27