ForumsGamesSuper Smash Bros. 4

293 119353
GavinRox
GavinRox
50 posts
Jester

Anybody else excited? I really like these games, but the only thing that pisses me off is the new characters, and those getting deleted.

• 293 Replies
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

The Home-run bat is back with a new style, and looking at the second picture it seems to have a new effect with the floor.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

Aww meta knight aint so bad..

That's exactly it. He wasn't bad at all. He was too good for his own good. Playing against him or even as him was more of a chore than a jolly fun time. He will not be missed if they leave him out.

The Home-run bat is back with a new style, and looking at the second picture it seems to have a new effect with the floor.

They made it easier to use in Brawl than in Melee. In the latter, you had to press "A" and sideways at the perfect time, or else it wouldn't charge properly. In Brawl, you could charge the bat with C-stick without throwing it to the left or to the right.

But now it looks almost too strong. If Meta Knight gets thrown into the game and acquires one of these, you better run.
spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

That's exactly it. He wasn't bad at all. He was too good for his own good. Playing against him or even as him was more of a chore than a jolly fun time. He will not be missed if they leave him out.

i agree, but he was a staple of the game. instead of taking him out they could have took his powers down a little (his farming primary attack was problematic).
CherryCoke360
CherryCoke360
407 posts
Nomad

He will not be missed if they leave him out.

I will miss him! I have a soft spot for those chill players who never say anything.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

instead of taking him out they could have took his powers down a little

But then he's just a silent knight.

[i]Silent knight,
Holy knight,
All is calm,
Meta knight[/I]

I digress. I just think he would add even less to the game if his powers were reduced to a more "fair" level. And he already doesn't add much. Snake has a gun and a chopper, Olimar has a spaceship and a bunch of creatures following him around, Wario has a bike and some dangerous gas, and R.O.B. has some epic laser skills. What does Meta Knight have that other Brawl-introduced characters don't, besides an unfair advantage?

I have a soft spot for those chill players who never say anything.

I don't think Samus is going anywhere. And I don't recall Olimar saying much.

I apply the same description to Ike, who had a habit of cancelling other attacks because his were absurdly powerful.

I noticed Marth had that same habit, at least in Melee, but for the most part, it could be countered, so long as you made your fighting pattern reasonably unpredictable.
Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

But now it looks almost too strong. If Meta Knight gets thrown into the game and acquires one of these, you better run.

Game balance with items on is irrelevant.

I apply the same description to Ike, who had a habit of cancelling other attacks because his were absurdly powerful.

lmao, Ike had a lot of super armor and was absurdly powerful but he was still ridiculously slow and incredibly easy to gimp, overall a rubbish character.

I just think he would add even less to the game if his powers were reduced to a more "fair" level. And he already doesn't add much. Snake has a gun and a chopper, Olimar has a spaceship and a bunch of creatures following him around, Wario has a bike and some dangerous gas, and R.O.B. has some epic laser skills. What does Meta Knight have that other Brawl-introduced characters don't, besides an unfair advantage?

Given that MK will almost certainly be nerfed to hell or made to be a very balanced character I can't see your reasoning here. Remove a unique character because you can't see what's special about him? Shall we remove Luigi, Falco, Wolf, Ganon, TLink and Lucas too? We already have a slow powerful swordsman, let's scrap Ike as well. Mewtwo comes back? Don't need Lucario anymore. Hopefully in SSB4 MK will be balanced possibly to be quick, good for comboing and with poor kill moves.

Your opening sentence states that even if he was balanced you'd still prefer him to be left out of the game. There is no way a character can detract from the quality of the game without being extremely broken (either glitchy or overpowered) so reducing the number of playable characters would just be boring.

Also, Sakurai's still in control which means we will be seeing MK.
gh0sts
gh0sts
865 posts
Shepherd

Does it have a stronger effect when you throw it at another player?
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Well we all saw this coming at some point. But it seems that Little Mac is finally joining the roster. Seems we have an actual character fighting game now.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

Silent knight,
Holy knight,
All is calm,
Meta knight[/I]

I don't quite understand this mistake, but it's the second time I've made it just by highlighting text and hitting the italic button. It could just be my browser auto-correcting it without consulting me, as that's the only explanation I can come up with for why BBCode I haven't touched is capitalizing itself.

Game balance with items on is irrelevant.

Thank you for taking that dreadful one-liner so seriously. Not getting jokes seems to be a rising trend here.

There is no way a character can detract from the quality of the game without being extremely broken (either glitchy or overpowered) so reducing the number of playable characters would just be boring.

Unless there is a set limit to how many characters they plan to add, and instead of adding entirely new characters, they keep a nerfed version of an already fairly disliked character in the SSB series for continuity's sake. There are definitely some who are loyal to these characters, but adding new characters such as Little Mac would spark more interest from veteran players, who generally enjoy playing as new characters as well as old ones.
CherryCoke360
CherryCoke360
407 posts
Nomad

But it seems that Little Mac is finally joining the roster.

No way a punch out character? that is awesome! maybe smash bros 5 will have Mike Tyson..
Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

Unless there is a set limit to how many characters they plan to add, and instead of adding entirely new characters, they keep a nerfed version of an already fairly disliked character in the SSB series for continuity's sake. There are definitely some who are loyal to these characters, but adding new characters such as Little Mac would spark more interest from veteran players, who generally enjoy playing as new characters as well as old ones.

Disliked character? MK is only disliked because he's too good, once he's balanced there will be no reason to dislike him and he should continue to be a popular character. We know they won't have a number of characters in mind currently, this is evident from Lucas's exclusion from Melee and Mewtwo's exclusion from Brawl. Ideally, Smash 4 would contain all past characters along with new faces.

it seems that Little Mac is finally joining the roster. Seems we have an actual character fighting game now.

Long awaited and probably expected, he should be fun to play with. By the look of things he has an awful recovery and a slow meteor smash, and that power bar (arrows above his percentage) seems like it will be a unique game mechanic.
CherryCoke360
CherryCoke360
407 posts
Nomad

and that power bar (arrows above his percentage) seems like it will be a unique game mechanic.

How does it help him or other players?
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

How does it help him or other players?

Well seeing the the trailer and that pic Sakurai presented, if the power bar is at its maximum power its an instant K.O. and it can take out 3 players at once.(that is if they're grouped together)
CherryCoke360
CherryCoke360
407 posts
Nomad

Oh man, I have to play as this character now! if I ever buy a wii u which i probably will not.. xp

gh0sts
gh0sts
865 posts
Shepherd

and that power bar

Are you sure it's not just a nice chocolate energy bar he eats when he gets hungry during the fight?
Showing 121-135 of 293