ForumsProgramming ForumBeta test Sal's game

26 22127
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Hey guys,

I've been somewhat absent these past weeks, haven't I? The reason being: I'm working on a Java game! I got all the basic features built and ready to run and they seem to work. Or, at least, they work for me. But before I start creating more actual game content, I need you guys to try it out so I can see what you think. I'm looking for Beta testers to give their opinions and to see if they run across any weird problems. It'll help me a lot in the long run, and hopefully you guys will get some sort of enjoyment out of it.

Before I hand out download links, I have to say a few things.

What type/format is this game?

The game is a Java game. This means that it was developed in the computer language Java. Java games, once finished, are deployed in an applet to wherever they're supposed to go, whether it be a web page or whatever else. But as my game isn't quite finished, you'll have to take a few extra steps to play it.

So how do I go about playing it?

Before the game is deployed, you'll be downloading a small version of the game onto your computer. Once there, you'll need to download a JDK and some sort of program that allows you to compile and execute the game, such as BlueJ or Eclipse. I personally use BlueJ.

OK Sal, enough crap. How do I Beta test your game?

1. Download the Java game file: (Called AnthillJAR)
2. Download and install a JDK: (Scroll down)
3. Download and install BlueJ:
4. Open BlueJ.
5. In BlueJ, go to Project to Open Project...
6. Find where you saved the AnthillJAR file and open it.
7. In the BlueJ window, locate the box that has the title "World_EXECUTE_THIS_CLASS" and right-click on it. Left-click on void main(String[] args) and the game should run. Everything afterwards can be found in-game.

If you have any questions, ask! I tried to keep this simple. Feel free to share any of your opinions or problems. Also please keep in mind that this version is still pretty rough; there isn't much there. I'll do my best to update it frequently.

Cheers!

• 26 Replies
KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

Do you have source code? :3

http://i.somethingawful.com/forumsystem/emoticons/emot-ssh.gif You can unzip it like any ol' archive file.
KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

Yes, but it's still Java, i.e pretty darn easy to decompile.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

@Rip
Thanks for the advice.

@T
Yes, that's supposed to open in a terminal. I suppose that's how Java executables run when there isn't any software to make them run otherwise. And I'll look at the name thing, though it'll probably be a few days before I actually do anything about it.

@stinkyjim
I'm afraid I can't do anything about that. The next update will include some credentials in the download box, but I doubt it'll fix your problem. =/

@jeol
Yeah, it's still pretty short. Hence that it's a Beta game yet. I'll change the intro when I think of something to write; for the most part I'm still working out the bugs and adding technical stuff.

Not sure when the next update will come out. Maybe today, maybe tomorrow, maybe the weekend. I'm on a roll and I added a lot of stuff, but by doing so I created lots of problems.

stinkyjim
stinkyjim
470 posts
Shepherd

Managed to get past the problem after some tinkering.
It's a great game, but may I recommend additional commands rather than just 'y' or 'n'. At first I tried to type 'yes' and it didn't register with the game. The quiz questions were fun, and some had me scratching my head hahaha. Keep up the great work Sal!

KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

I'm on a roll and I added a lot of stuff, but by doing so I created lots of problems.

I suppose you could just share 'em with the class (or rather the 5 or so people on here that know how to code) if you feel like it. I know I sure wouldn't mind something to ponder over for those really boring days at work.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

If you want to try the most recent version, it's right here. Keep in mind that because it's very rough it'll have bugs galore. I recommend downloading the one on the opening post unless you want something to tinker with.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Missed stinkyjim's post somehow. O_o
Thanks man! I'll add options (or at least clearer instructions) to help alleviate some of the confusion about the response function. Sounds like the IQ test went over well.

KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

The only other real bug I can find is your Quiz. Because it's not hooked up to your response interpreting, it'll continue on and just fail you for nonsense replies.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

^Thanks.

I just updated the rough version. It has the regular stability/performance fixes as well as some new content, and, one of the largest changes you'll notice, is that when you turn the game on a console and a terminal will appear. But that's for you to check out.

Showing 16-24 of 26