ForumsProgramming ForumBeta test Sal's game

26 22126
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Hey guys,

I've been somewhat absent these past weeks, haven't I? The reason being: I'm working on a Java game! I got all the basic features built and ready to run and they seem to work. Or, at least, they work for me. But before I start creating more actual game content, I need you guys to try it out so I can see what you think. I'm looking for Beta testers to give their opinions and to see if they run across any weird problems. It'll help me a lot in the long run, and hopefully you guys will get some sort of enjoyment out of it.

Before I hand out download links, I have to say a few things.

What type/format is this game?

The game is a Java game. This means that it was developed in the computer language Java. Java games, once finished, are deployed in an applet to wherever they're supposed to go, whether it be a web page or whatever else. But as my game isn't quite finished, you'll have to take a few extra steps to play it.

So how do I go about playing it?

Before the game is deployed, you'll be downloading a small version of the game onto your computer. Once there, you'll need to download a JDK and some sort of program that allows you to compile and execute the game, such as BlueJ or Eclipse. I personally use BlueJ.

OK Sal, enough crap. How do I Beta test your game?

1. Download the Java game file: (Called AnthillJAR)
2. Download and install a JDK: (Scroll down)
3. Download and install BlueJ:
4. Open BlueJ.
5. In BlueJ, go to Project to Open Project...
6. Find where you saved the AnthillJAR file and open it.
7. In the BlueJ window, locate the box that has the title "World_EXECUTE_THIS_CLASS" and right-click on it. Left-click on void main(String[] args) and the game should run. Everything afterwards can be found in-game.

If you have any questions, ask! I tried to keep this simple. Feel free to share any of your opinions or problems. Also please keep in mind that this version is still pretty rough; there isn't much there. I'll do my best to update it frequently.

Cheers!

• 26 Replies
Showing 31-30 of 26