ForumsProgramming ForumFlash fails to open my project... Help!

8 12250
mightybob
mightybob
360 posts
Peasant

This afternoon I was going to work on my game, as usual, but when I tried to open it flash just says "Failed to open (project name) (file location)".

I have no idea why, it won't import in Cs5 or Cs6.

Is the file corrupted!? Is it too big to import!?

Someone help me out here I'm panicing⦠I've been working on this for almost a year now!
(PS: It's a Cs6 .fla file, if that helps at all).

• 8 Replies
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Could be corrupted. If I'm working on something big, I try to keep multiple versions in multiple areas in case it happens. But yeah, I don't think there's anything you can do.

mightybob
mightybob
360 posts
Peasant

Ughhhhhhhhhhh⦠I do have a week old backup that opens up fine but I reallyyyy don't want to remake an entire weeks worth of work⦠there has to be something I can do⦠Time to go into intense googling mode :P

KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

One thing you could try is renaming the file extension to .zip and unzipping in order to save your files that way.

If I'm working on something big, I try to keep multiple versions in multiple areas in case it happens.

Source control.

Keeping manual backups is not ideal for a boatload of reasons.
mightybob
mightybob
360 posts
Peasant

Thanks kenty, but thats not working. I also tried adobe's solution of doing a .rar and then repairing it with WinRAR, but i downloaded winRar and it is a .tar⦠And what I've heard of .tar's is not good.

mightybob
mightybob
360 posts
Peasant

Ok, new looked at my output and found this whenever I try to open it:

The following JavaScript error(s) occurred:

At line 1 of file "/Users/johnpavlovits/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Flash CS6/en_US/Configuration/Javascript/ObjectFindAndSelect.jsfl":
Cannot find file /Users/johnpavlovits/Desktop/Fancy Guy/Fancy-Hat-Adventures.fla.

Don't get what that means, but maybe it helps?

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Source control.

Keeping manual backups is not ideal for a boatload of reasons.

Not a very big deal when you're the only one working on it and you keep weekly versions. But I suppose it wouldn't be very beneficial for a large company.
mightybob
mightybob
360 posts
Peasant

Well, lesson learned, keep a lot more backupsâ¦

I guess I'll just go back to the week old one and work on my game from there, I now have 3 separate back up files and I'm going to update them everyday now⦠Plus, I guess I'll also start doing Time Machine backups on my mac, just incase :P

plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

The latest versions of flash have been problematic for me with corrupting files as well. I stick with CS3 because it has only corrupted a file once or twice in 5 years.

When I went to CS4/CS5 I immediately downgraded as a project I was working on for 8 hours managed to crash during my FIRST save. I was used to saving every 12 hours on my stable CS3 build that I was using for years. I use many monitors, not sure if that makes a difference with the versions.

All it takes is one time of software letting you down, and I went back to CS3 never to touch that CS4/CS5 crap again. If I can do what I need in a more stable version, I will.

Showing 1-8 of 8