ForumsForum GamesKickstarter thread for potential new Star Wars RPG

6 2248
spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

in my recent forum inactivity, i have been pondering the ability of the role playing genre and how far i could go with it. i was watching star wars the other day and i realized that this could be just the step in a direction i would like to go. this is just a kickstarter, but i would like feedback from people reading it. you dont have to read all of it, but i would like to see just how many people would be interested in a game like this.

Overview:
picking just where to start this game on the timeline proves interestingly tricky. i believe starting it in the semi-middle of the clone wars is the best idea for the role playing type of game, because you will be fighting next to clones or droids in this conquest for the galaxy.

i used to play star wars battlefront 2 on the PS2 way back when. that proved to be one of the best games i have ever played to this date. the FPS star wars combat was so brilliant i just loved the game. this doesnt seem to have any relevance, but its actually the basis for this entire game. there was a mode called conquest, where you drove a ship around with an AI army taking turns defending and attacking planets for conquest. this is an idea i building off of.

there will be 3 factions: sith, jedi, and mercenary. being the jedi, your home base is Coruscant, the planet that is a giant city. there with you will be the Jedi council, guiding you through the game. as sith, your bases are scattered among the star wars universe. you are at the command of the emperor.

i thought another faction you could pick from is mercenary, where you complete jobs for either faction. this is an idea i havent exactly worked out yet.

The Role:

your a jedi/sith/mercenary that can wield a lightsaber, taking on jobs by your factions elders in order to conquest the universe. the only thing standing in your way is the opposite faction, and the people inhabiting those planets.

you start out as a youngling, even though you wouldnt technically be doing missions until padawan. you start out only knowing how to swing your lightsaber, but as you level up there will be an immense skill tree letting you pick force skills to learn. e.g., lightning, choke, force energy blast (as yoda can do), and more basically force throw.

in the beginning, you will have a master that guides you through the game. you can pick the name of your master, or one that actually exists in the star wars universe. i will let people pick obi-wan or people like that if they are the 1st to get the person. if you cant think of anyone from the game, or your picks are taken, i will give you someone random. they will help you in the game until you become a jedi or sith knight, and you will then get your own apprentice. mercenaries will not have masters or apprentices.

Gameplay/events:

in lightsaber duels, you dont have time to really ponder your next move...because the force guides you, and your opponent will be attacking quickly. in this game, combat will be extremely fast and somewhat automated. you can throw in unexpected attacks or force powers every now and then, but mostly it comes down to how you use the environment.

obviously, 2 things dont exist in this game that would be in a regular RPG: equipment and inventory. oddly enough, instead of actually creating one, you wont have either. in this game, the force skill tree will be mainly what brings you up from other jedi/sith.

the elders of your faction will give you missions in this game. you will complete those anyway you want, with your master and eventually apprentice assisting you. those missions will be like this: defend the northern kamino outpost from sepratists. attacks will also be in their as well. the ultimate goal of this game is for one faction to dominate the universe to create peace.

everything that happens in this game has its own consequence. your master probably wont die...but its possible. this game is permadeath...so if you die, you have to start over. if your master dies, you mightget a new one or you might not. if obi-wan dies, he will be dead for the entire game following. you might be fighting along other jedi/sith, and you mgiht be fighting purely alongside clones and droids.

you wont have to do mission after mission...you can do other things like wander around planets are make peace treaties with their inhabitants. you could also create a relationship. this game is largely up to you, and how you play.

PvP will happen, but not often. the chances of you meeting a real opponent in a saber battle is unlikely, although it might happen. in this case...one of you wont come out of it...the other gaining tremendous strength.

hopefully, after reading that, you would think its potentially going to be a good game. if you will be interested in playing, put it in your post. if you have suggestions or questions you can ask. this game will be starting by the end of the week. may the force be with you.

• 6 Replies
Bluydee
Bluydee
3,426 posts
Nomad

I'd rather this start in the old republic, which would give more basis for sith vs jedi, while the clone wars the sith were barely around.

Also, about the equipment and inventory thing, wouldn't that mean you can't wield double-bladed and dual lightsabers if it is only using the force tree to split people up?

bingu77788
bingu77788
464 posts
Peasant

I'm interested....

trooper555able
trooper555able
2,316 posts
Nomad

I'll give this a shot if you're willing to make it.

spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

well their is choice in lightsaber, which is one thing i did not mention but i was thinking of.

i could start in in the old republic, but the problem is i know almost nothing about it.

anewbeginning
anewbeginning
379 posts
Nomad

Most of this seems interesting to me, but I have a few suggestions for mercenaries. Instead of having no master's/apprentice's, how about you start off as the lowest ranking member, the one which would be the first to be sacrifaced if the mission goes wrong, in a groupof mercenaries? And as time goes on you can choose to go solo, rise through the ranks of your initial group, or join another group.
For sith, jedi, and mercenary groups there should be a relationship stat, if you haven't already thought of it. The higher your relationship stat is with a group, the more friendly and trusting of you they are. You could even be a jedi who's a sort of diplomat who has a higher relationship with the sith than he/she does with the jedi. And it could go down into the negative numbers which, depending on just how low, they would purposely send you on missions where you'd die or have a monetary reward for your capture.
And for the equipment/inventory thing, what if you're a mercenary who chooses to carry a gun as well a a lightsaber? Or if you have one of the holo-telephone things? Or you find something that could be sold for a ton of money? There's a lot of stuff that could be kept under an equipment/inventory slot.
These are all just idea's though and I'm happy if you choose not to use them.

spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

how about you start off as the lowest ranking member, the one which would be the first to be sacrifaced if the mission goes wrong, in a groupof mercenaries?

that seems like a good idea...im still thinking about it, but really i just want something that separates the line between jedi/sith.

For sith, jedi, and mercenary groups there should be a relationship stat, if you haven't already thought of it. The higher your relationship stat is with a group, the more friendly and trusting of you they are. You could even be a jedi who's a sort of diplomat who has a higher relationship with the sith than he/she does with the jedi. And it could go down into the negative numbers which, depending on just how low, they would purposely send you on missions where you'd die or have a monetary reward for your capture.

that is also another brilliant idea as far as how much influence you have over your faction. im thinking i could use that to make the game more interesting.

And for the equipment/inventory thing, what if you're a mercenary who chooses to carry a gun as well a a lightsaber? Or if you have one of the holo-telephone things? Or you find something that could be sold for a ton of money? There's a lot of stuff that could be kept under an equipment/inventory slot.
These are all just idea's though and I'm happy if you choose not to use them.

every jedi has a comlink and a lightsaber. as for mercenaries, you will probably also have that as well as sith. im not thinking that their will be any players with blasters in this game.
Showing 1-6 of 6