ForumsWEPRPriority of Rights

10 2348
necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

Here is an age-old question, which is superior; the right to safety or liberty?
Feel free to bring in other basic human rights like the right to property or life etc.

I believe liberty is a more important social goal of the government.

• 10 Replies
Eyes
Eyes
139 posts
Blacksmith

Why must it be an either or situation? In real life how practical is that? We can either have a right to liberty, in which case criminals can do (basically) whatever they please because no one can encroach upon people's freedom to do what they want OR we can have right to safety where law inforcement can break into your house and ransack it because they feel like it.

In all practicality there needs to be a balance of both; the "superior" right may change from situation to situation.

StarScreamer
StarScreamer
608 posts
Shepherd

I would rather have the right of liberty. Im just fine without safety because I would judt carry around a 9mm everwhere. Without liberty we would be really unsafe.

necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

@Eyes- To kill someone or steal from them would take away their right to liberty, and thus punishment is necessary.

Eyes
Eyes
139 posts
Blacksmith

Ok...I'm following. But what about everything leading up to the commission of the crime? If someone were to threaten someone? Whose liberty takes precedent? The person doing the threatening would both be taking away the other's liberty and exerting their own rights to say what they want. Doesn't there need to be some sort of right to safety thrown in before someone gets killed?

And what about after the killing? If the killer is innocent until proven guilty doesn't he have the right to liberty still? If he has the absolute right to liberty he can't be imprisoned. Could his house or property be searched without infringing his right to liberty?

What about airports or the border? If people have a right to liberty before they have a right to safety, you can't screen passengers or people coming into the country, even if they might be carring something dangerous.

Ninjacube
Ninjacube
585 posts
Nomad

This sounds more like justice than liberty to me. I can see how all of these American ideas can seem alike.

Eyes
Eyes
139 posts
Blacksmith

@ Ninjacube: ...it IS justice. The laws are there to balance people's right to liberty and their rights to safety. In other words, you can do what you want until it starts to endanger others, at which point the law steps in and you are in trouble. Er, at least that is the simplistic, ideal version.

RathRaid
RathRaid
129 posts
Nomad

Both rights are rights for a reason. Safety, well, safety is there so you can be safe. It pretty much is self defense, like you have a right to self defense.

Liberty though, is also quite important. Liberty is a firm cornerstone in any nation. Throughout history, the countries that allowed Liberty were ususally the strongest and the longest lasing empire.

necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

@eyes- If someone were to threaten someone that is like coercion and threatens another's right to life (without which you have no freedom) so action would be taken. The killer has Habeas Corpus, if the judge decides the prosecution has reasonable evidence they may detain him until a jury trial, also to search his property a warrant is needed to ensure that is not arbitrary espionage. Well, under a principle of liberty there wouldn't really be any controlled substances to catch at the border, and it is the airlines responsibility to search their passengers for weapons, not the government.

@Rathraid- Safety in this context is slightly different than self-defense, it's the government creating safety for people.

@Ninjacube- There are many different conceptions of justice, and liberty or safety fall under some of them.

RathRaid
RathRaid
129 posts
Nomad

Ah...goverment creating safety? Well, many goverments are trying valiantly, and are failing. Well then, a right of liberty is better then a right of safety. The right of liberty will let us choose our own actions. Most people choose the right course of action, and therefore, we give ourselves our safety.

Eyes
Eyes
139 posts
Blacksmith

If someone were to threaten someone that is like coercion and threatens another's right to life (without which you have no freedom) so action would be taken.

In that instance, the right to safety of the person being threatened is deemed superior to the right to liberty of the person threatening.

The killer has Habeas Corpus, if the judge decides the prosecution has reasonable evidence they may detain him until a jury trial, also to search his property a warrant is needed to ensure that is not arbitrary espionage.

Isn't the court system protecting people's right to safety? What that is effectively doing is putting the criminal's right to liberty on the backburner and saying that other people's right to safety is more important.

Well, under a principle of liberty there wouldn't really be any controlled substances to catch at the border, and it is the airlines responsibility to search their passengers for weapons, not the government

In regards to the border, I am not sure what you mean.

As for the airlines: You are effectively saying that the passengers' right to safety is more important than their right to liberty...yes?
Showing 1-10 of 10