ForumsPopular MediaAlbum Reviews

12 7510
delossantosj
delossantosj
6,680 posts
Nomad

This is the thread to review any album your heart desires.

If you choose to right an album review, give some background of the artist in case people dont know them, and please give as much of an in depth review as you possibly can. if you want, put a rating out of 10 at the end of the review.

Feel free to comment on other peoples reviews. say if you agree, disagree, and why. just make sure you keep it clean.

I myself will be posting a review later today, most likely while the football games are on.

• 12 Replies
delossantosj
delossantosj
6,680 posts
Nomad

Oh god! What did i do?! Why doesn't armor games have an edit button.....

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I've been thinking about doing something like this for a long time, but I never got around to it. I've always been a bit of a Sputnik junkie so I suppose it was likely for me to do it eventually. Anyway, I'll also post a review or two when I get time.

delossantosj
delossantosj
6,680 posts
Nomad

FLEET FOXES

Helplessness Blues

http://assets2.subpop.com/assets/images/main/8471.jpg

Fleet Foxes is an indie folk band from Seattle, fronted by singer songwriter Robin Pecknhold, that combines similar song structures to artists such as Bob Dylan and Neil Young, with their own personal recording techniques and artistic harmonies. This band reached critical acclaim in 2008 with the release of their first full length, self titled, album Fleet Foxes, as well as the EP Sun Giant. Both receiving very strong reception by many music critics even making Pitchforks #1 album of the year for 2008.

After several delays in the initial release, Helplessness Blues finally made its release in mid 2011, though it had been leaked via file share earlier that year. This album shares many of the same aspects as the first one did only it adds so much more. More layers, more reverb, more dynamics, and it even follows a concept as far as i know.

This album contently lets my find something new almost every time i listen to it. whether its the something in the many layers of Sim Sala Bim, or the flutes in the last song Grown Ocean. This album has it all. The lyrics tell a story and its definitely one worth hearing. The music follows this story in one of the most interesting and metaphoric ways I've ever heard. from the emotional highs of Battery Kinzie to Lorelai, to the near death of the protagonist in The Shrine/The Argument, this album kept me engaged, and still does, from start to finish.

One thing that i really love is the different types of wind instruments and violins that they include in a lot of these songs. For example in The Shrine/The Argument, when the song really starts to break down, this almost acid jazz sounding groove starts to go down. symbolizing the chaos going on in ones head at the brink of suicide. With the violins in the background of this section as well, it combines together to create a very trippy mood.

In my honest opinion this is the best album of the 2010's.

Rating: 8.5-9/10

delossantosj
delossantosj
6,680 posts
Nomad

[b]VOLUMES/b]

Via

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91A6G9puMBL._SL1400_.jpg

Volumes is a L.A. progressive metalcore band that is recently really started to make a name for themselves in the world of metal touring with other bands in the scene like Emmure, The Ghost Inside, Texas in July, The Devil Wears Prada, and Thy Art is Murder.Through extensive touring and youtube promotion, this band has carved it's foothold in the industry and can only go up from here. one of the things that makes this band stand out from other bands in the scene is the fact that they have two screamers and official clean vocalist.

Via is there first full length LP and let me tell you is this one hell of an album. This is absolutely no ordinary metalcore band and is bursting with such raw passionate talent that its hard not the bod your head or get into it atleast a little. This band carries a lot of influence from bands that have done this kind of stuff before them with examples being like, Meshuggah. If you are a fan of polyrhythmic, down-toned, prog guitar and drums, as well as some sweet guitar solos, then this is the album for you.

Though this band has the strange feature of having to lead screamers, this doesnt take away from the effect that they have not only in studio, but live as well. The tag team that the two vocalist go for is something that i've heard from pretty much no other band out there accept for maybe Vildhjarta. They sound completely different from each other and are incredibly consistent in the way they use their vocals.

Another thing that stands out about this album is the concepts that many of the songs have. the lyrics are super interesting and explore ideas such as breaking through and government collapse. Incredibly chill dudes as well as intellectuals. the definitely "know what's up", if you know what i mean.

The album only has two songs that feature clean vocals and only one that acts as a main focus of the song. Both of these songs are a couple of my favorites. And though there isn't exactly any song that i dont like, the only gripe i really have with this album is that constant breakdowns and prog chugs that this album features can have a tendency to blend in with eachother, and though its not that bad for the most part, it is something that occasionally makes me skip songs when im on shuffle.

Overall the songs on this album are certainly progressive, though they aren't that long considering so. you wont find a song on here that is longer than 6 minutes, however they way they play each song, it takes you on a journey that they paint, it's never too repetitive and though they may bring certain ideas back from earlier in the song, its for that purpose and fits in quite well.

This album is definitely a good recommendation for you metal heads and metalcore fans out there.

7.5/10

MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

In my honest opinion this is the best album of the 2010's.

Rating: 8.5-9/10

I dig the Fleet Foxes, and that happens to be my favorite album by them. Appropriate rating.

I don't know much about about metal, so I do not know about that album.

I don't have a photo of this album, but here is a link.

Now, Now (previously known as Now, Now Every Children) is of the indie-rock genre, formed in Minneapolis, Minnesota. In 2008 they released two EP's, Not One, But Two and In The City, as well as their first album, Cars. In 2011, they released another album titled Neighbors. Threads was released in March of 2012.

Since I can't really get into detail like delo can, I'll just describe my two favorite songs, I guess?

My favorite song on the album is Prehistoric. I wish I could get into detail on just why I like it so much, but sadly I do not have the words to explain the feelings. It just makes me want to bob my head, yknow? And then move my whole body is just swaying to the rhythm. Music that all of a sudden makes you move is my favorite kind.

Lucie, Too eases you into the bliss that is guitar. The vocals are just the right, not too scratchy but not over-the-top with random jumps in notes and such. Kind of like Haley Williams but without the raw power in her voice. Very soothing.

My rating of this album is most definitely 9.5/10. The only thing I would change about this album is adding a few more songs just to make it longer.
delossantosj
delossantosj
6,680 posts
Nomad

Kind of like Haley Williams but without the raw power in her voice. Very soothing.

Have you heard of the XX? This band very much reminds me of a sort of post-rock version of the XX. I actually remember one of my friends sending this album too me, i remember the cover (really cool). i never bothered listening to it for whatever reason.

Not terrible. not quite my speed of music. i felt myself lose interest after a bit. some of the themes seemed a little repetitive, especially in the guitar. i can see why people like this album though, especially if you are into artists like the shins, the xx, or death cab for cutie/postal service.
MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

Have you heard of the XX? This band very much reminds me of a sort of post-rock version of the XX. I actually remember one of my friends sending this album too me, i remember the cover (really cool). i never bothered listening to it for whatever reason.

Yeah, I've heard the Intro by them. I haven't extensively looked into them but they seem to have good chill music. Now, Now is kinda the definition of standard indie music, so yeah they're pretty similar to Death Cab for Cutie. I'll probably go and look into the XX now. Maybe you should do an album review for them.
delossantosj
delossantosj
6,680 posts
Nomad

I'll probably go and look into the XX now.

It's definitely worth it. They only thing about them is that most people i know, dont like their second album Coexist. I personally like it and have no problem with many of the songs on there, but with out a doubt, the first self titled album is better and is a solid album. the intro to the album is a very famous song and only scratches the surface of what that band is about. you'll definitely get into them.

Maybe you should do an album review for them.

maybe in the future, but its not on my queue at the moment, ill probably post an album review for a different artist a bit later though.
delossantosj
delossantosj
6,680 posts
Nomad

Grimes

Visions- Part 1
Part 2
http://did.youhearthenew.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Grimes-Visions-2012.jpg

Grimes is a Montreal based artist comprised of singer, songwriter, producer, artist, music video director, and general chiller, Claire Boucher, Visions being i believe her third full length LP. Grimes for the past 3 LP's has been going for this indie, 80's, dance/synth-pop, psychadelic, goth, sound that, as it should, is very unique.

Out of the three Grimes albums that have come out in the last 2 years, this one is definitely my favorite, mainly because of how well the production on this album actually is compared to her other stuff. The beats are just so much more clean on this one than the others and it really does make a difference. She must have gotten someone to do a super good mastering job on it.

For many of you, at first, the super high voice that claire uses might be hard to listen to, but i garentee you that it will grow on you and eventually, you wont even notice it. The way she uses her delay and reverb it makes her voice almost a part of the rhythm.

I'm very on the fence with this album however. I absolutely adore Claire and wish she would marry me, and i love what shes trying to go for. the songs on this album that i like, i love. however there are a few songs on here that i find boring and just not as impressive as the first 5 songs on the album.

Songs like Be a Body, for example. i think this song has one of the best beats on the album yet i'm completely turned off from the song because the vocal melody just is boring compared to songs like Genesis.

Another problem that i have with this album, is that songs that i like a lot are cut off super short as if she just couldnt find a way to build off of "that idea". The song Eight is one of the best on the album for sure as far as creativity goes, but its only a minute thirty long.

Overall id give the album a 6.5-7/10 but id also like to mention that the songs on this album that i do like, are becoming some of my favorite songs of the last few years.

Pieguyme
Pieguyme
1,010 posts
Farmer

Russell Moore and IIIrd Tyme Out Timeless Hits From the Past: Bluegrassed
http://sandiegotroubadour.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/bluegrassed-240x209.jpg

I believe that this is their best album yet. While staying true to Bill Monroe's original Bluegrass sound, this amazing group remakes Country and Bluegrass classics such as Gentle On My Mind, Modern Day Bonnie and Clyde, and Take Me Home Country Roads. While no IBMA awards were given to the group for this, Russell was again nominated for Male Vocalist of the year, mostly-if not only-for his work on this release. I would give this album a 9.5/10. With the new year, we'll see if they can earn that .5 with their next release. I have no doubt that they will.

delossantosj
delossantosj
6,680 posts
Nomad

ALBUM REVIEW

Tame Impala-Lonerism
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7e/Tame_Impala_Lonerism_Cover.jpeg

Tame Impala is a psychadelic/dream pop/ surf rock/ indie rock band from Perth Australia, fronted by guitarist/singer-songwriter Kevin Parker. Tame Impala is well known for there positive sounding music, great metaphoric lyrics, heavy use of guitar/synth effects, and general trippyness. This album is there second full length album which came out in 2011.

You ever have one of those person that would use to hang out with you and he was chill sometimes, but overall this was not a cool person and you would over-all not like their presence? Well for awhile i ended up hanging out with a person like this and because that person annoyed me and i often times just didnt like what was coming out of his mouth, i would end up not liking some music that he would show me; merely for the sake that it was him showing me it. This person ALMOST ruined this band for me, however now they have slowly become one of my favorite bands.

They got it all, catchy drums that dont over-state the music, well produced sound from incredible mixing/mastering, great effects from both the guitar, the vocals, and the synth, and just overall good vibe-y music.

This album takes everything that was on the first album, Innerspeaker, and they add about 100x more snyth. This is not necessarily a bad thing, in-fact it leads to some quite amazing drug-induced moments that can make any head bod with the vibe of the track. It reminds me of when The Beatles started to get a little weird on albums like Revolver or Sgt. Pepper.

This album is however, much sadder in the lyrics than Innerspeaker, though it doesnt sound like it at all. Kevin Parker writes about a lot of different things but the overall theme of the album is in the title, Lonerism. It's all about the feelings you get when you are a super introverted character who has a hard time getting out of there shell to meet new people and all sorts of other stuff. Very relatable album for a lot of people out there.

Overall, if you are into trippy music, that is great to vibe out too, than this is the album for you.

Rating: 8.5/10

Stand out tracks: Apocalypse Dreams, Mind Mischief, Elephant, Keep on Lying, Nothing That has Happened so far has Been Anything we Could Control.

Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

Album: Obscura
Artist: Gorguts
Released: June 23, 1998
Genre: Technical death metal, avant-garde metal
Producer Gorguts, Pierre Rémillard

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/3/0/0/9/3009.jpg

Obscura by Gorguts is probably the best metal album I've ever heard in my life. The sophistication of the guitar rifts in this is by far the hardest I've ever heard, the drumming is so fast I cannot repeat it exactly and the execution is absolutely fantastic. There are two things I love about this album.

The guitar play is my absolute favorite. I doubt you will hear more unusual rifts in a album. In songs like "Obscura", "Earthly Love", and "Nostalgia" the rifts are insanely fast and always changing. But all the instruments mix well together even though you can hear the each individual instrument with clarity.

The vocals is another aspect of this album that I love. Luc Lemay and Steeve Hurdle do a duet in almost every song in this album and they are both amazing screamers. Luc has more so a high pitch scream and shrill while Steeve has a low pitched wail that, when you listen to at a very high volume, is pretty shocking and can be scary to some people. Both of them singing together makes a amazing mix between a death growl and a increasing scream. Amazing.

Overall this album I give this album a 9.6/10. This album has extremely inspirational material and is one of the best I've ever heard of. Goguts has even helped to inspire my band. Fantastic.

Showing 1-12 of 12