ForumsWEPRKelly Thomas Murder Trial

48 21855
SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

As you may have heard, the police officers responsible for the savage and deadly beating of the special needs California man Kelly Thomas eluded justice in the courtroom last night. How is it that the people we employ to protect us can get away with disgusting acts of savagery like that?
What are your opinions on this pathetic verdict?
Do you feel threatened by our out of control police force?
How have the police become beyond reproach in the eyes of the law?
How does this injustice make you feel?

These are important things that I want you very much to share your opinions on.

• 48 Replies
SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Update-
I heard just a couple days ago on the radio that someone managed to video the whole incident and posted it on the internet. But I haven't been able to find it yet.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

...I posted it on the front page

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

*first

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

I had things to say on this topic...but after watching the full video -before- reading any other sources, seeing pictures of Kelly while he was hospitalized--I've just lost any will or drive to follow through.
All I am going to say is that it was clear and apparent to me that Kelly suffered from some sort of mental disorder within the first ten minutes of the video. Now, how -I- can gather that and 'trained' officers of the law can't is beyond me. Keep in mind! This was before I knew anything about the case beyond that bare-bone basics.
What happened is heinous at best. The condition Kelly was in was reminiscent of gang beatings and attempted homicide. Sadly, in this case it wasn't merely attempted.

I'm just going to go mull over some existential crises for a while.

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Well, know this a very unpleasant thing to discuss, but I felt obligated to at least make people aware of this tragedy since no one else seems to be. Why isn't the main stream media covering this injustice like they did the George Zimmerman trial?

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

Why isn't the main stream media covering this injustice like they did the George Zimmerman trial?

Because the victim wasn't a perceived minority.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Well, the injustice was two years ago, so it's not that outlandish to not have that much coverage on a past issue than a murder and trial that occurred smaller in time span.

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

The injustice were referring to here is the verdict of trial, not necessarily the actual murder itself. That is the current issue (I began this thread the day after the verdict was read).

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

My point still stands.

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

I wasn't differing with your point.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

Apparently smart people can't be cops in some places.

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Apparently smart people can't be cops in some places.

That's because the government wants mindless drones that carry out their orders without question, not thinking and rational individuals that will refuse to carry out inhuman/outrageous orders.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

That's essentially what the military does anyway.

The difference is that the military doesn't turn away smarter people.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

Probably because the military is generally deployed out of the country,

How about the National Guard then?

It's easier to convince a soldier to shoot a man if that man is holding an AK-47. Back in the states, where the "soldiers" are around Americans and are living in much more comfortable conditions, the enemy is much less prominent.

I don't get how this is a good reason to only hire people of average mental capacity.

potential civilians.

"If a person consistently reads and advocates the views expressed in a civilian publication, he may be a civilian."
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

I don't get how this is a good reason to only hire people of average mental capacity.

You have to think in conspiracy theory logic.

The reason they gave was this: "The theory that those who scored too high could get bored with police work and leave soon after undergoing costly training."

In other words, they see policing as menial work that does not require intelligence. Questionable, given that you're entrusting these people to uphold the law and protect you, but certainly not on the order of previously suggested motives...

What bothers me more is that 125 is considered too intelligent. 125 isn't that high. Although I consider 100 stupid, so 125 is pretty much what I think of as &quotassably not an idiot" on a general level.
Showing 31-45 of 48