Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

U.S Surveillance Of Foreign Governments

Posted Jan 22, '14 at 10:59am

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,476 posts

Knight

I wouldn't say its paranoia as much as pragmatic reasoning that motivates governments to engage in such activity.

Posted Jan 23, '14 at 2:50pm

Minotaur55

Minotaur55

1,326 posts

Knight

Every government does it, that's how it has been since the beginning, and how it will be in the future. Bottom line: Just don't get caught.

This isn't true actually. Yes governments have been interested in potential threats, which pretty much everything regarding foreign governments is a potential threat, but spying hasn't reached the extent it has now. Publicly disclosed information or not.

I wouldn't say its paranoia as much as pragmatic reasoning that motivates governments to engage in such activity.

Consistent, strong, and steady trust among foreign governments is impossible. Which is why I made a post about this. Obama is claiming that there is "friendship and trust" within the relationship it has with Germany, which I find to be ironic considering you can never fully trust something you cannot control.

I find it to be an oxymoron because trust is generally the basis of a friendship. U.S Agencies don't seem to trust very well - if at all.

Posted Jan 24, '14 at 8:32pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,476 posts

Knight

This isn't true actually. Yes governments have been interested in potential threats, which pretty much everything regarding foreign governments is a potential threat, but spying hasn't reached the extent it has now. Publicly disclosed information or not.

Yes it has. One of my relatives used to work in surveillance/intelligence, and at least for my country, it has always been that way. When we look to the period of the Cold War, or even the Great Wars, we would see the extent crystal clear. The scale wasn't there certainly, but that was only because of the exponential and massive increase in information available, coupled with the huge expansion of government over the years.

Consistent, strong, and steady trust among foreign governments is impossible. Which is why I made a post about this. Obama is claiming that there is "friendship and trust" within the relationship it has with Germany, which I find to be ironic considering you can never fully trust something you cannot control.

There is trust to a certain extent. Organizations such as NATO bind that, but every country will naturally pair that relationship with its own actions to get ahead.

Reply to U.S Surveillance Of Foreign Governments

You must be logged in to post a reply!