ForumsWEPRInternet of Things

5 5268
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

I'm not a big fan of all those "smart" objects and applications popping out everywhere, especially in these times where even the last person must have realised that the private sphere is less guaranteed than one might think. Now it seems there is also a more direct danger coming with this development: the article below from mid-January reveals that such objects are definitely a security issue and easily hijacked for criminal purpose, in this case using it as a means to send even more spam and phishing mails.

Proofpoint Uncovers Internet of Things (IoT) Cyberattack

So I wanted to know from you what you think of it. Do you think we can do something? Would you do something to protect you, and others, better? Do you even care or does this not affect your everyday life consciously? And, what is your stance on this Internet of Things, this "smartification" of our daily life?

• 5 Replies
09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

You may remember the old apple advert where in a dystopian future where mindless slaves sit entranced by giant screens. Luckily apple have saved us from that by making the screens small.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Luckily apple have saved us from that by making the screens small.

LOL.

I think what should worry us, far more than it doesn't seem to be doing, is the swift irreversibility of all these developments. In The Netherlands recently, there was some proposal -- from the well-meaning medical field of course --, to have all of us carry some medical ID with all your medical data on it. Ever-so handy, of course, in case you get run over by a bus etc. Needless to say, the emphasis was on it being an "optional" scheme -- but we all know how that goes, don't we. I for one was among those few alienated anti-socials who for some years after their introduction ('way back when," as in all of a couple of decades ago, cough) kept resisting carrying an ATM card, try and do that today. There is of course just no way, Beavis. Or a public transport card that doesn't track your every move -- or even obtaining one, never going online. It's just not possible where I live, period. As I recently found.

You guys caught that recent news about some major store chains reading your mobile phones and tablets and stuff to know what wares you're looking at and how often, and such? (Or was that, too, only in NL?) I swear, Orwell couldn't have known the mess we'd find ourselves in if he'd wanted to -- and happily hailing it & paying for it, too, it never ceases to amaze me.

I say get unplugged, now.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

I don't mind if the authorities know where I've been too, how much I have in my bank account, or what I purchase from/search on the Net, so long as it does not result in me losing my bank account, or being the victim of identity theft.

Okay, so you know which book I bought from Amazon, you know my favourite Primarch from the 40k series, and you know my search history; it's not going to affect me if the government/corporations knows so. I'd only worry if criminals can obtain that information.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

I'd only worry if criminals can obtain that information.

And that's why it's important that people know not to save relevant data on anything. For example, do not make purchases with your account infos on your television, stuff like that.

Obviously, most of the info gathered by Google & Co. are used to personalise commercial ads, and while this is not criminal it always helps to be aware of that. But soon your lens will be able to monitor your insulin level in case of diabetes, and while this would certainly be an advantage for diabetics, don't forget that all informations from all smart gadgets, including smart home devices and security, are sent to your smartphone. Which is why it is important to sufficiently secure yours, if you have one.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Obviously, most of the info gathered by Google & Co. are used to personalise commercial ads, and while this is not criminal it always helps to be aware of that. But soon your lens will be able to monitor your insulin level in case of diabetes, and while this would certainly be an advantage for diabetics, don't forget that all informations from all smart gadgets, including smart home devices and security, are sent to your smartphone. Which is why it is important to sufficiently secure yours, if you have one.

Yep, I think that's the one thing people should be mindful of, that they need to take good care of their devices/accounts, since it's a much more open ocean than people. Not that the government will do tangible harm to you. At least, I trust my government; might not say the same for others.
Showing 1-5 of 5