ForumsWEPRShould Kazakhstan be renamed

13 5974
pft
pft
576 posts
Grand Duke

So the idea is that, the prefix of -stan on the end. Makes them grouped with the Central Asian countries. like Pakistan Afghanistan, and the rest. They are mostly culturally different from them countries. The reason why you see some sporting teams in European Competitions, Also the eurovisions but they weren't accepted. Even though there non European countries competing in it.

News story for clarification

The name they would like to change 2 is Kazakh Yeli. I do like the sound of that.

• 13 Replies
pft
pft
576 posts
Grand Duke
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

As the journalist in your link said, I find it stupid to change the name of a whole country for mere marketing reasons. He makes a good point of changing the name for reasons of better representation of the diverse ethnic community of the country.

But as the new name proposed, Kazak Yeli, apparently means pretty much exactly the same as Kasakhstan, it seems clear what the idea behind this name change is. I think if the president wants to change the name, he should come up with something better.

Arm_Candy
Arm_Candy
716 posts
Bard

I don't think it matters what they rename it, as even if they do, people are still going to call it Kazakhstan for decades afterwards. The article mentioned Burma, or as of 1989, Myanmar, which I've never heard anyone refer to as Myanmar. It was officially Myanmar before I was even born and I still call it Burma.

It could catch on for Kazakhstan, but it would take a few generations for people to actually remember the new name.

pft
pft
576 posts
Grand Duke

The thing is, if the name does change. Will people refer to it differently? People still call Myanmar its last name of Burma, So getting the world population to know something they know as something else is a big ask.

The thing is though the prefix -Stan is just Persian for Land or country. Many countries end with land . Although chanigng the stan countries to land, they just don't sound right. The Yeli prefix they want to add just sounds funny. It is a more upbeat sound though.

Not aware of the things to be done to officially change your countries name. Do the other countries in the UN need to decide if they recognize the new name?

But as the new name proposed, Kazak Yeli, apparently means pretty much exactly the same as Kasakhstan, it seems clear what the idea behind this name change is. I think if the president wants to change the name, he should come up with something better.

What i think should be done is educating people about these countries. Where a country is located geophysical doesn't determine the culture. Most of the time it does though. The best example i am sure most knows is the Asian country of Israel. Another is the geophysical Asian Cyprus but that is split culturally and is officially European.

Also i am not sure on the list of things to do in Kazakhstan. Don't base facts on it from Borat. It is actually larger than most thinks. 9th largest. Mostly mountains though.
pft
pft
576 posts
Grand Duke

It was officially Myanmar before I was even born and I still call it Burma.

I think it is right to call countries by what they decide to be called. I refer to it as Myanmar, No one i know, knows what that is.so by society i have to refer to it as Burma else no one knows what i mean.

A similar problem is Ivory coast. That is not the official name. They would like to be called Cote d'ivoire. I think that is silly though, that is the French way to say it (Their National Language). We don't call most countries by what the people actually refer to them as. The simple reason is, another language. They are simply too difficult to pronounce for a non national.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Not aware of the things to be done to officially change your countries name. Do the other countries in the UN need to decide if they recognize the new name?

Usually name changing for nations isn't a contentious issue, so long as there are no land disputes. Hasn't been the case in recent history; there were many name changes during the decolonisation period( North and South Rhodesia to Zambia and Zimbabwe for example), and it all ran smoothly.
danielo
danielo
1,773 posts
Peasant

Nicho, that because most peoples dont know these countries anyway, so they use the name which is givrn for them. Kazakhstan is way too famous to just change uts name.
Thanks Sasha Baron Coen!

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Nicho, that because most peoples dont know these countries anyway, so they use the name which is givrn for them. Kazakhstan is way too famous to just change uts name.
Thanks Sasha Baron Coen!

Man, many of those African nations were famous then! Especially those with white-supremists governments and the ongoing anti-racial segregation movement going on in the States at the time D:

Yeah but anyway, I don't really see much of a difference. Seems like the entities investing there are still mostly the larger corporations who don't give a penny's worth which bloodthirsty strong man rules you, or how low you are on the HDI. And yep, most of us will still call it by it's current name.

http://blog.accessdevelopment.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Borat_Great_Success.jpg
pft
pft
576 posts
Grand Duke

Usually name changing for nations isn't a contentious issue, so long as there are no land disputes. Hasn't been the case in recent history; there were many name changes during the decolonisation period( North and South Rhodesia to Zambia and Zimbabwe for example), and it all ran smoothly.

There were Politically motivated in my understanding. The country that has changed name the most (Possibly) Is the DR Congo. To be confusing to people, there is a country next door called Republic of Congo (Brazzaville as capital) . They were one country Called Zaire until the 1997 Congo war. Before Zaire it has a few others. Republic of the Congo (Léopoldville as capital) , Belgian Congo, South Kasai, Katanga. This was all Political again,
And European Exploration and conquer.Although the name changes for these were land and Territory change (War)
pft
pft
576 posts
Grand Duke

At least people know the Existence of Kazakhstan, Thanks to Borat. You would think that would generate tourism. In Fairness, it is atleast known. Ask most people what countries border it. The answer will be Russia and China The other 3 are Uzbekistan ( 1 of 2 doubly landlocked countries so might be known a bit) Turkmenistan and , Kyrgyzstan (the one people can never say or spell easily). Not the other 3 stan countries. Tajikistan, Pakistan and Afghanistan.

The trouble is more countries will appear in future. If you look at Europe, most of the countries are small but they are manageable (To an extent) The Asian and African countries are very large. Africa's main problem is high population in a place with not that much money. Also with all the wars there making more countries be born. There are 57 countries (Disputed) in Africa. Will be over 60 by end of decade. Most people i assume don;t know more than 20 African countries. There probably is countries in your Continent that most people don't know is part of it. Europe for one has microstates that people probably don't know of. Total Countries Recognized by most countries is 194. South Sudan as 193 and Palestine will be 194 (Some recognize it, most don't, i think it will get the Recognition soon.)

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

i dont see a problem in more countries. the smaller a country the more easy it is to manage.

i also dont see why it should be a problem for other countries if 1 country decides to change their name. as long it isn't a exact copy of a other countries name. afterall it's their own decision how they want to be called officially. i just hope they dont expect the common man to change it any time soon.

as the new name proposed, Kazak Yeli, apparently means pretty much exactly the same as Kasakhstan

would that be like if "the netherlands" change their name to "the lowlands"? it means the same but it sure gives a different feeling. =/
pft
pft
576 posts
Grand Duke

would that be like if "the netherlands" change their name to "the lowlands"?

Well it's current name sounds better. I have heard people refer to it as Holland, despite that being a region withing the Netherlands,I think reason people do this is because the 3 major cities are in this region.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

I think reason people do this is because the 3 major cities are in this region.

the netherlands once started as a even smaller country called holland in the middle ages. by the dukes of holland. the area is still called south and north-holland. also do we use the name holland ourself aswell for tourism attraction. when our soccer team plays. we sing "hup holland hup" for example. the name holland is mainly used for recreation purpose while the name the netherlands is more a formal / business name, and the official name of course.

but lets take a plane back to kazak yeti.
Showing 1-13 of 13