Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Should Kazakhstan be renamed

Posted Feb 8, '14 at 7:04am

pft

pft

526 posts

At least people know the Existence of Kazakhstan, Thanks to Borat. You would think that would generate tourism. In Fairness, it is atleast known. Ask most people what countries border it. The answer will be Russia and China The other 3 are Uzbekistan ( 1 of 2 doubly landlocked countries so might be known a bit) Turkmenistan and , Kyrgyzstan (the one people can never say or spell easily). Not the other 3 stan countries. Tajikistan, Pakistan and Afghanistan.

The trouble is more countries will appear in future. If you look at Europe, most of the countries are small but they are manageable (To an extent) The Asian and African countries are very large. Africa's main problem is high population in a place with not that much money. Also with all the wars there making more countries be born. There are 57 countries (Disputed) in Africa. Will be over 60 by end of decade. Most people i assume don;t know more than 20 African countries. There probably is countries in your Continent that most people don't know is part of it. Europe for one has microstates that people probably don't know of. Total Countries Recognized by most countries is 194. South Sudan as 193 and Palestine will be 194 (Some recognize it, most don't, i think it will get the Recognition soon.)

Posted Feb 9, '14 at 1:17pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,200 posts

i dont see a problem in more countries. the smaller a country the more easy it is to manage.

i also dont see why it should be a problem for other countries if 1 country decides to change their name. as long it isn't a exact copy of a other countries name. afterall it's their own decision how they want to be called officially. i just hope they dont expect the common man to change it any time soon.

as the new name proposed, Kazak Yeli, apparently means pretty much exactly the same as Kasakhstan

would that be like if "the netherlands" change their name to "the lowlands"? it means the same but it sure gives a different feeling. =/

Posted Feb 9, '14 at 2:45pm

pft

pft

526 posts

would that be like if "the netherlands" change their name to "the lowlands"?

Well it's current name sounds better. I have heard people refer to it as Holland, despite that being a region withing the Netherlands,I think reason people do this is because the 3 major cities are in this region.

Posted Feb 10, '14 at 7:24am

partydevil

partydevil

5,200 posts

I think reason people do this is because the 3 major cities are in this region.

the netherlands once started as a even smaller country called holland in the middle ages. by the dukes of holland. the area is still called south and north-holland. also do we use the name holland ourself aswell for tourism attraction. when our soccer team plays. we sing "hup holland hup" for example. the name holland is mainly used for recreation purpose while the name the netherlands is more a formal / business name, and the official name of course.

but lets take a plane back to kazak yeti.

Posted Feb 10, '14 at 9:02pm

blk2860

blk2860

10,796 posts

Name changes are awful ideas. I mean, for example, I still call the "Willis Tower" the Sears Tower. That's the name I first hears, and I see no reason to stop calling it that. This is just basically a mimic of all those towns that changed there names to Google, or other names like that, one town even putting a .com at the end of their name. Changing a city or country's name solely for tourism is a pointless venture, because people are either just going to keep calling it what it was before, or nothing will really change anyway. I don't see why this president just assumes that the reason people don't visit his country as much as other countries is that is has the suffix -stan. That is a ridiculous conclusion.

Reply to Should Kazakhstan be renamed

You must be logged in to post a reply!