nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

"Tobacco is a dirty weed. I like it.
It satisfies no normal need. I like it.
It makes you thin, it makes you lean,
It takes the hair right off your bean
It's the worst darn stuff I've ever seen.
I like it. "

~Graham Lee Hemminger, Tobacco

E-cigarettes - tricky little buggers that are the latest fad. Battery powered, vaporizing a mixture of nicotine and flavourings or a vapour without the nicotine. Proclaimed as the invention that will save smokers from a choking, painful, shortened life.

Well, they sound very tantalising, but should they be cracked down upon harder than what is currently the norm? It would make a very good alternative for smokers, and definitely go a long way in helping them quit overall. But it glamorises smoking to a new degree, much like the Malboro Man. They're relatively cheaper, have a much less stained reputation, and are well....sexier? They're manufactured in newer, savvier flavours, Cherry, Pina Colada, Peach Schnapps just to name a few, and undoubtedly it draws in the curious, especially the young. And whilst undeniably they're much healthier than a pack of Camels, lighting something on fire and inhaling the smoke for years will still have health repercussions. And studies are still in short supply since they've only recently came into the limelight.

So, your thoughts?

• 36 Replies
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

did you live under a stone during your teenage years?? cmon man, where have you been? for someone that makes it looks like he is some smoking expert i would have guessed that you atleast knew this... or comes all your info from just 1 side? the anti-smokers side...

Yay! I was wondering when the thinly veiled ad hominem would show up. As I stated, I don't associate with people while they're smoking. This is because I find the stench revolting. By your account, it seems all journalism must be gonzo to be credible and all hypersensitive or asthmatic teens are blind hermits.

to bad you cant see that your posts are irrelevant to my point. everyone can be right when they miss the point. but after pointing it out a few times i simply dont care to inform you about it. you don't want to be informed and rather be stuck in the thought that the product is not more then e-oke...

Oh, I'm well aware that there is little relevance to your point, but as I said earlier, the confusion must be on your end. You see...I'm not interested in your point. It's nothing new to me. It's redundant. It's old hat. It's ad nauseam. It's moot. It's superfluous. You're selling coals to Newcastle. You're preaching to the choir. You're shooting your own men. The horse you're whipping was pronounced dead at birth, and now your discussion, like your point, is becoming quite impertinent.

I am aware of your point; I was aware before this thread began. I was in agreement with your point and stated as much, so I must again affirm that the error is yours, sir. Good day.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

As I stated, I don't associate with people while they're smoking. This is because I find the stench revolting.

i c that you have only half the idea of what is happening.
you can read about it all you want but without experience you never know reality.

By your account, it seems all journalism must be gonzo to be credible and all hypersensitive or asthmatic teens are blind hermits.

sure thing if that is what you want to believe. xD
you have no ground to base this on. only because you cant see my point, you imagion that i'm a shallow close minded person.
just remember that being skeptical and critical is not a bad thing

the confusion must be on your end. You see...I'm not interested in your point.

to bad my point was on-topic and yours was off-topic. xD
this topic wasn't about how bad smoking is and what it all causes... plz. read the OP and tell me who is confused about what is on-topic

I am aware of your point; I was aware before this thread began. I was in agreement with your point and stated as much, so I must again affirm that the error is yours, sir. Good day.

sorry mate but you went against it from your 1st sentance, all the time you said it is just harmless steam and then went on telling how bad normal smoking is... anyway.., nice try cleaning up your errors and making it look like it was all me. =) bye bye *wave*
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

If you cannot learn to interpret simple English in an effective way, you will only make a fool of yourself. I must therefore advise that you not continue this ludicrous campaign of hypocricy.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

dont lie to yourself

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

The jury is still out on whether or not nicotine and the other liquids in the vapors cause cancer. If they do, then ecigs will only lead to people picking a different poison.

Mind you I haven't had a chance to read through this myself, it was only provided as a peer review paper on the health risks of e-cigs. The person providing it was saying that it turns out that they are safe.

As I said right now I only have that person's word to go on I haven't had a chance to read this myself nor investigate to be sure it's not being contradicted by other data or an example of misapplied science by people with something to gain from the claim that it is safe. I will submit it for your own review on that matter.

http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1471-2458-14-18.pdf
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

As I said right now I only have that person's word to go on I haven't had a chance to read this myself nor investigate to be sure it's not being contradicted by other data or an example of misapplied science by people with something to gain from the claim that it is safe.

they thing is that they have advertised their product as 100% health risk free. and it has been accepted as so by nearly everyone. but those that make and sell them are not able to proof that it actually is 100% health risk free. therefor do we need to further investigate into it and the data of those investigations are not open yet. until then it is not 100% guaranteed that it is actually perfectly safe. and because the ministry of health is responsible for the public health have they permitted the sale of it until 18 year.
Showing 31-36 of 36