ForumsNews and FeedbackTopic reply notification

15 4723
sinhellsing
sinhellsing
352 posts
Peasant

I don't know if this has been posted before, searched first pages but I didin't find anything.

How about having a "Watch topic" option where we would be notified if someone replies in it? I've seen it on some forums and personally I find it pretty annoying at times to keep checking if someone replied to a topic or not.

• 15 Replies
Blackbeltr0
Blackbeltr0
769 posts
Jester

Forum Notifications

Was kinda discussed. Bring it up again with ferret?

~~Black~~

sinhellsing
sinhellsing
352 posts
Peasant

I'll wait a bit for a mod/admin to respond to see what's their opinion on this. Thanks for letting me know that it's been discussed before!

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Was kinda discussed.

Even though it was mentioned in that thread it was barely talked about. So I think this thread should stay. Also that thread basically died in September of last year.

Yeah I could kinda dig a notification system for forums and such things. Would definitely be easier than constantly checking on the thread to see if anyone responded yet.

Maybe there could be some kind of 'mailing' system on ArmorGames. No I'm not talking about email, I'm more talking about a messenger sort of thing where if you were 'subscribed' to a certain thread it would show up in your ' notification messenger' that someone posted in that certain thread and alert us by having a number of recent notifications. Think of it as that gmail notification thing where there's that box with the numbers.
Blackbeltr0
Blackbeltr0
769 posts
Jester

I mean I get Comment notifications... Now don't go and spam me....SAL, I'm looking at you

I would not mind having forum notifications. It should only work if your text was quoted tho.

~~Black~~

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

It should only work if your text was quoted tho.

I don't really like that idea much because look what I could do:

I just notified you about 5 times in this post alone.

Also what would happen if some said the same thing? Like you saying: "It should only work if your text was quoted tho." and then I also said: "It should only work if your text was quoted tho." and then someone quoted those words in their post. It wouldn't really be able to tell the difference and could get messy.
eliakith
eliakith
2,419 posts
Blacksmith

How about a "forums you're following" forum? That way we could access all our forums easily.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

How about a "forums you're following" forum?

Sounds more like a personal list than a forum. But I do like that idea.
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Also known as post history (and/or thread subscriptions), this does get regularly suggested. I reckon it must be on the staff's radar

sinhellsing
sinhellsing
352 posts
Peasant

Or maybe a notification when someone tags you? Like if I tag
@R2D21999 or @MacII you get notified for being tagged.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Or maybe a notification when someone tags you?

But what if I'm tagged for a thread that I'm not interested in? Like WEPR. I don't want to be notified about that.
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

I'd want to know.

Because you hang out in the WEPR. I don't.

What if someone in WEPR is quoting you on something you didn't say or using you as a reason for something you don't approve of?

And what reason would they be quoting me or tagging me for something bad?

Besides like I said before, the quoting notification system would be too confusing.

I'd be a bit worried if someone tagged me in a WEPR thread that I wasn't watching.

Even though most of the threads there are mostly about news and religion having to do with the real world.

Besides they could also say your name without it being tagged.

The mods didn't make signing up more difficult.

Why should they? This thing only happens a few times a year and it seems to only happen when there's a big sporting event going on.

the people here don't break the rules.

Hehehe HAHAHAHAHA! Ahhh good joke, Matt. Really good joke.
xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

I think there should be a feature so that you can star a thread and then receive updates, therefore not getting a reply from every single thread you've posted in, that'd be a pain.

CherryCoke360
CherryCoke360
407 posts
Nomad

That would be cool. people dont really tag me in posts but when they do it would be nice to know about it.
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

That would be cool.

@CherryCoke360
@CherryCoke360
@CherryCoke360
@CherryCoke360
@CherryCoke360
@CherryCoke360

Enjoy the many notifications I bring you.
gh0sts
gh0sts
865 posts
Shepherd

For any feature along these lines, there should be a way to turn it on and off. Some people may want to be notified, while others will find it annoying.

Showing 1-15 of 15