ForumsNews and FeedbackCombining Forums

80 22712
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Greetings all,

Many of our forums aren't as active as we'd all wish them to be, so lately we've been discussing combining forums. While I can't promise we can follow everybody's opinion or request on this matter, I think it's fair to ask you guys what you feel should be combined, and what shouldn't be combined. Here is some meat to get you started...

-We're talking about combining much of the "Gaming" forums, but not Forum Games.
-Possibly removing "Newcomers Forum" and putting that as a sticky instead.
-Combining Art/Programming into a creative forum.
-Bumping Tavern up to the top, general chat generally is.

• 80 Replies
xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

So I fail to see how placing it in the Tavern will expose it to new people.

Well you said yourself there are 3-5 people that post in the tavern that don't post in pop media, i'm pretty sure those are new people

But honestly there really isn't much we can do. Until the admins can think up some genius plan to get more people to post in the forums, it won't really matter too much what happens with the merging.
MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

As to be more specific to Emily, the threads are currently not seeing much light, but stay on the front page because of lack of activity. Because of their lack of activity, instead of staying on a front page with a better chance to get activity again, they will be pushed back to further pages. And, of course, given the nature of forums, if a thread is in pages not the first it has a less chance at getting activity.

While this is true, you need to prove why the Popular Media deserves its own section. What is so important about it that it needs to remain in it's own section?
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

While this is true, you need to prove why the Popular Media deserves its own section. What is so important about it that it needs to remain in it's own section?

Division of topics, organization, etc.

Actually, I could put it this way: Why don't we just eliminate all sections, and have the entirety of the forums be one cesspool of threads (or melting pot, if you will)?
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

I take the Tavern to be for idle/unclassifiable chatter, what other forums may call the Off-Topic forum.

Whilst Popular Media I take to be for pop culture. I think having the two separate is a good idea

MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

Division of topics, organization, etc.

Actually, I could put it this way: Why don't we just eliminate all sections, and have the entirety of the forums be one cesspool of threads (or melting pot, if you will)?

C'mon man if you really want them to stay separate, give a something to make it worth it besides "It doesn't fit". The reason of the combining them is that the section doesn't generate enough activity to be worthy of it's own subforum. The fact that there are week old threads on the first page was that proof. You could take combination of the most active threads in the Tavern and Pop culture and still have room for more on the first page of the hypothetical combo-forum.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

The reason of the combining them is that the section doesn't generate enough activity to be worthy of it's own subforum

Based on what? Frankly, one could make an argument that none of the sections generates enough activity, which is why I posed my previous question. If we are arguing that combining them would create more activity for them both (or the one they would create) then why not just eliminate all sections and use the whole page that would list sections as the pages for links to threads?
MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

Based on what?

What do you mean based on what? Based on activity. Just look at the first page of each one.
Frankly, one could make an argument that none of the sections generates enough activity,

Actually the AMW seems to be 'active'. The first page dates back only to March 3rd. Every single other section goes back to February. (Minus the Tavern and it's March 1st).
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Actually.....I've been thinking, and I would like to ask, why the need to combine Forums just because activity is down? I can understand if you would want to reduce clutter and increase efficiency when it comes down to the Support sub-sections, but as to the rest?

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Maybe for aesthetic appeal. You wouldn't want to show off a building when some of the rooms are barely used. It's like, wow no one posts here. I won't get much help if I ask a question. Making it so that all forums have current posts improves the site's appearance, I suppose.

Really doubt that's going to do much. It seems very self-defeating and seems to merely treat the symptoms of the problem rather than tackling it head on more fully.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

The problem is a lack of forum activity. Got any good ideas besides merging forums?

Yes, one of which was abit of the eventual idea that became the FF. I think I've mentioned the rest of them in past Tavern threads created to discuss Forum activities.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I hardly think using activity as an excuse to merge is valid. You don't invite people to your store by rearranging everything.

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

I would be for Popular Media merging with tavern, merging video games, flash games, game walkthroughs, and merging support forum with news, feedback, and suggestions.

@ minecraftsniper
Forum games probably shouldn't be combined with another section of the forums. The reason being that forum games is very active. If forum games and the tavern were combined, forum games threads would dominate the front page (as they are posted in a lot and bumped up to the top) and tavern threads would quickly die out (as they are not posted in as often).

minecraftsniper
minecraftsniper
697 posts
Herald

Mmmm true i was wrong forum games is pretty active

gh0sts
gh0sts
865 posts
Shepherd

Make Popular Media a subforum of the Tavern, or just combine them.

Combining them would be the better option. Turning into a subforum wouldn't really change anything, aside from the possible extra click needed to get there.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Newcomers should be combined with support, because I've seen quite a few of them asking for help, and the newcomers are generally the ones looking for help in the support forum. NFS should be separate from those two.

Why should NFS be separate when it is more closely related to Support than Support is to Newcomers?

Quest should stay individual.

If we are going to combine Flash Game related sections to Flash Games, this definitely needs to go with it. No need to have it have its own section.

Maybe it could be called Art, Music, Writing, and Coding. Or something like that.

wat

Based on activity. Just look at the first page of each one.

But what level of activity are we basing it off of? "Based on activity" is too vague, and like I said we could make an argument that every section is low on activity.
Showing 46-60 of 80