ForumsNews and FeedbackCombining Forums

80 22786
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Greetings all,

Many of our forums aren't as active as we'd all wish them to be, so lately we've been discussing combining forums. While I can't promise we can follow everybody's opinion or request on this matter, I think it's fair to ask you guys what you feel should be combined, and what shouldn't be combined. Here is some meat to get you started...

-We're talking about combining much of the "Gaming" forums, but not Forum Games.
-Possibly removing "Newcomers Forum" and putting that as a sticky instead.
-Combining Art/Programming into a creative forum.
-Bumping Tavern up to the top, general chat generally is.

• 80 Replies
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Actually, most convenience stores do exactly that. They arrange it so you buy the most. Of course, AG isn't making you purchase things, but same difference.

"How do we increase our business?"
"REORGANIZE"

Few business actually do that to increase flow because there is little hard substance in it. It's done for convenience, and that usually comes last.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Actually, most convenience stores do exactly that. They arrange it so you buy the most. Of course, AG isn't making you purchase things, but same difference.

I think arrange, and not rearrange, is your key word here. You could be talking about either of two things so..
1) There is the "first in first out method" which isn't reorganizing but making it so older items are bought first so the business doesn't lose money on it.
2) Moving more appealing things to a more prominent location. But..that isn't what we are talking about here. We are talking about the combining of places.

Also, a suggestion I have not seen is merging Popular Media with Art, Music, and Writing instead of the Tavern. Am I the only one who thinks Writing should be its own forum?

There is a reason you have not seen someone suggest that.
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Newcomers should be combined with support,

Nooooooo. That's bad. Its kinda the same thing with the forum game and Tavern idea. To me it seems that support threads would bury most of the newcomers thread and then those new people won't get their cookies. You don't want to deprive them of their cookies do you? DO YOU?

Newcomer's is fine the way it is now, no reason to change it.
xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

The problem is a lack of forum activity. Got any good ideas besides merging forums?

Add something that will make people want to take initiative and post, such as the way they do it on Kong, where if you post in the forums you get points (I'm not sure as I haven't really explored Kong that much yet, but I think you do) just like we used to do.

but also I would be pretty happy if you guys brought AP back and I think the forums will as well.
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Add something that will make people want to take initiative and post, such as the way they do it on Kong, where if you post in the forums you get points

Kong's forum posting works the same as ArmorGames. You don't get points for it.
xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

Kong's forum posting works the same as ArmorGames. You don't get points for it.

Oh must've been something about me just joining that gave me some sort of points for doing it, mind my mistake.
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

I think you guys worry too much about the finer workings of this board. Instead of just enjoying it

Hey, there is a world outside of the web and AG still, remember! ;-D

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

I disagree. Quests definitely need to stay separate. All flash game sites have flash games. Armor Games is the only one with "Quests" specifically. Seeing as it is often updated as new Quests are added (plus the "What games do you want to see Quests on?" thread), it needs to be its own thing. Having all Quest material in one place is a safe bet. Walkthroughs, though, could safely be added to Flash Games.

Then have "What games do you want to see Quests on?" be a sticky in as well as another sticky with links to all threads pertaining to Quests so that it can still hold some level of prominence.

Nooooooo. That's bad. Its kinda the same thing with the forum game and Tavern idea

*It's kinda the same thing with any section and Tavern idea

Hey, there is a world outside of the web and AG still, remember! ;-D

Don't spread such lies
MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

Maybe it could be called Art, Music, Writing, and Coding. Or something like that.

wat

^

Also, a suggestion I have not seen is merging Popular Media with Art, Music, and Writing instead of the Tavern. Am I the only one who thinks Writing should be its own forum?

There is a reason you have not seen someone suggest that.

Again, ^

The Forge:
Make Programming a subforum of AMW, since... nobody really posts there much. I don't see why AMW should be just called the Creative Forum. Maybe it could be called Art, Music, Writing, and Coding. Or something like that.

No. That's just... no. The Programming thing is just people asking for help how to do a specific thing, and then it is answered, and the thread is abandoned after 1-5 posts. I do not want/like/or think we need that clutter in the AMW when the topics don't even fall under the same umbrella of Creativity.

But what level of activity are we basing it off of? "Based on activity" is too vague, and like I said we could make an argument that every section is low on activity.

My definition of "active" for AG (nowadays) is having all of the threads that fill up the first page being posted in within the past 1-3 days. If you have more than 5 threads in each section containing at least 2 new posts, then that seems pretty average. When I arrived in 2010, that was a slow day.

If you really want to sit down and determine "What is activity?" then let's do that. But in my opinion, you don't necessarily need multiple new threads every day to have "active forums". You just need a couple of really good topics that stimulate more than 5 pages of conversation/debate.
sinhellsing
sinhellsing
352 posts
Peasant

If you guys want to reduce the forums, how about removing the "support forum" and build out a Support Center, where users can write tickets related to site problems to moderators/admins?

minecraftsniper
minecraftsniper
697 posts
Herald

If they have a problem they should go ask to mods/admins and also made a thread here wand wait for their answer. Im agree with Matt admis/mods already answer the questions here and such things

devansh_asthana
devansh_asthana
480 posts
Farmer

I think the Armor Games group is fine and does not need any change.
Changes:
The quest forum group and the game walkthroughs to be in flash games.
The WEPR in The tavern
The popular media in Art Music and writing.
The MMO forum group in the flash games section

Everything else is fine for me.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

The WEPR in The tavern

These two make absolutely no sense.
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

The WEPR in The tavern

No, they don't fit together whatsoever.
MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

The WEPR in The tavern
The popular media in Art Music and writing

It's a no from me.
Three No's, sorry but you are not going to Hollywood.
Or at least I really really really hope you don't.
Showing 61-75 of 80