ForumsNews and FeedbackCombining Forums

80 22716
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Greetings all,

Many of our forums aren't as active as we'd all wish them to be, so lately we've been discussing combining forums. While I can't promise we can follow everybody's opinion or request on this matter, I think it's fair to ask you guys what you feel should be combined, and what shouldn't be combined. Here is some meat to get you started...

-We're talking about combining much of the "Gaming" forums, but not Forum Games.
-Possibly removing "Newcomers Forum" and putting that as a sticky instead.
-Combining Art/Programming into a creative forum.
-Bumping Tavern up to the top, general chat generally is.

• 80 Replies
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Shoot, mixing up my forums. I mean Popular Media & Tavern.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Okay. Well, I mean, I don't see how popular media has a different "mindset" than than the Tavern because, you know, it's mostly general. I would give complete support if they were merged.

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

I mean Popular Media & Tavern.

I'm 110% with them merging.
MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

Okay. Well, I mean, I don't see how popular media has a different "mindset" than than the Tavern because, you know, it's mostly general. I would give complete support if they were merged.

I mean it is the only combination that I wouldn't argue against, so I suppose I'm for it as well.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

-Possibly removing "Newcomers Forum" and putting that as a sticky instead.

This used to exist back in the day (2009, possibly later), but it appears it has since been deleted. There was a preset form you could fill out in the OP that looked something like this:

Name:
Favorite game:

But it had closer to 15-20 boxes to fill out. I want to say it ran for at least 20-40 pages before it was removed altogether (this was back when posts in the Newcomer's Forum didn't count for anything, so nobody really noticed when it was gone). What made this thread interesting was that since most of the information you filled out was generally unknown to the rest of the site to begin with, you didn't have to be a newcomer to post your answers to the form.

After all, Support Forum used to be called Support and Suggestions, and the News, Feedback, and Suggestions forum was created under the name Armor Games v3 for suggestions about AG3. But since AG3 is in progress, I think Support and Suggestions would work once again.

Exactly. There's no reason to separate the two at this point. I don't even find myself reading the support forum anymore since most of it at this point is technical stuff, but if it were to be reunited with suggestions, people such as myself would be more inclined to provide support if we're already browsing that section.

I am as well. Popular Media has been coughing on its deathbed for years now. Aside from a few threads that people reply to on a daily basis, not a whole lot happens there. Combining it with the Tavern would expose more Tavern regulars to, as pang put it, its established mindset, and threads like BotB and OvC would actually receive the amount of attention they deserve.

There's a thread on page 1 of Popular Media that hasn't received a post in three weeks. Is that not a red flag?
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

It goes back to my argument with newbie thread with how other forums have it. Why? Because it works.

Popular Media is "general" for popular media mediums, it can range from books to movies in that sense. But it isn't general like Tavern is (general in the sense of "contains what doesn't belong in other sections).

Frankly, you could make just as justifiable of an argument of Pop Media being in WEPR based on it being general because of the whole "World Events" aspect
MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

Frankly, you could make just as justifiable of an argument of Pop Media being in WEPR based on it being general because of the whole "World Events" aspect

If you could argue that, kudos to you. But you really can't.

There's a thread on page 1 of Popular Media that hasn't received a post in three weeks. Is that not a red flag?

The final blow to the argument against combining them, I believe.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Other than pang, I believe everyone here has agreed to the Tavern/Pop Media change, right?

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

If you could argue that, kudos to you. But you really can't.

I really can't. It all boils down to some faux pas "ambiance" within the Pop Media and Tavern that I don't see being there.

The final blow to the argument against combining them, I believe.

Hardly. It won't increase activity to either.

Other than pang, I believe everyone here has agreed to the Tavern/Pop Media change, right?

I am adamantly against it
xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

Yep.

It won't increase activity to either.

I strongly believe it will, as most people just go to the Tavern.
MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

Hardly. It won't increase activity to either.

Well it wouldn't hurt to try, right?
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

How would it increase activity? It combines them, now we have a forum drowning down the threads that are already getting little responses (from pop media)

MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

now we have a forum drowning down the threads that are already getting little responses (from pop media)

I don't see how it would drown. You'd have to have content, and both forums seem to be lacking that. The most active thread in the Popular Media section is this.
xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

How would it increase activity?

Because if you put threads that little people go to into a place where new people are exposed to them they will then post in the threads they wouldn't have before. At least thats how I see it.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Answering both with one answer..

Both the sections have the same people in them. There are maybe a small small handful of people in the Tavern (I'm talking like, 3-5) that don't post in popular media, from what I have seen.
So I fail to see how placing it in the Tavern will expose it to new people.

As to be more specific to Emily, the threads are currently not seeing much light, but stay on the front page because of lack of activity. Because of their lack of activity, instead of staying on a front page with a better chance to get activity again, they will be pushed back to further pages. And, of course, given the nature of forums, if a thread is in pages not the first it has a less chance at getting activity.

Showing 31-45 of 80