ForumsNews and FeedbackMake stickies noticeable

6 3809
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

People have been complaining about new people ignoring stickies. So why not make them more noticeable? For example; making it a different color, or making it flashy. I don't something. Although most likely it should be a different color. Yeah that's pretty much it, nothing big.

This probably won't fix the problem with new people ignoring stickies, but hey at least it'll be noticeable.

• 6 Replies
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

This probably won't fix the problem with new people ignoring stickies, but hey at least it'll be noticeable.

I think people ignoring stickies will be mostly people who don't know what a sticky thread is. And so wouldn't be able to tell if it were flashing at them in big purple neon letters.
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

I think people ignoring stickies will be mostly people who don't know what a sticky thread is.

But wouldn't that make them click the stickied thread instead of ignoring it? I mean if there was a word that everyone knew the meaning to except me, I would want to find out that word, not ignore it.

Besides I believe its pretty obvious that stickied threads mean they're the more 'special' threads. Even if you are new.
CherryCoke360
CherryCoke360
407 posts
Nomad

If they are too flashy people might just brush them off as advertisements. thats what everything flashy on the internet turns out to be.. xp

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

But wouldn't that make them click the stickied thread instead of ignoring it?

Not in my experience, no.

Hey, people will be people, and all that
UnleashedUponMankind
UnleashedUponMankind
7,043 posts
Grand Duke

In another forum i know they use a different color for stickys & official threads (made by staff members, announcement thingys and stuff like that), afaik the most users take a look in that threads, which includes stickys.

Although, this doesnt mean they read them specially when the themes are big, but specially smaller ones are well known there and imo even the bigger ones catch more users.

gh0sts
gh0sts
865 posts
Shepherd

People who come from other forums understand the purpose of stickies, and they see the ones that exist in these forums. I'm willing to bet that a lot of those people don't read them anyway because they assume they already know what they say from prior forum experience. If any forum has just one sticky, it's a rules and guidelines sticky, and those rarely change no matter where you go. Eventually their eyes are trained to ignore those type of stickies, and in more severe cases, stickies altogether.

Showing 1-6 of 6